MFG small boat help

mitchp

Seaman
I have been a lifelong motorcycle rider/racer. I have restored many classic motorcycles over the years. I now want to try my hand at a small boat restoration. I purchased a 1972 Glastron CV16SS boat but i am having troubles with title issues as well as finding out this project being a bit over my head.:( I am now looking at a 14 foot MFG boat with a 35 HP outboard motor. Why are these old boats so hard to identify as to their year of manufacture and model identification? :mad: This old boat restoration deal seems like a tough deal at best. Have went to the MFG site and have broswed original dealer brosures. I think the boat is called a carefree 14 1973. Please help. Mitch. Thanks in advance. :)

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: MFG small boat help

Post some pics, there were a lot of variations in the MFG's over the years. I have and Edinboro Custom and a Westfield Custom (in need of rest). There a good boat, with decent performance.

Take a look at fiberglassics int the MFG section. They have most of the brouchures there and that should also help narrow it down.

Jet Wrench

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Too bad you can't get a title for the Glastron, they are a great boat and have nice lines. The MFG is nice as well. As per the previous post, "Fiberglassics" is a good source to start getting information. Do a search for 'MFG forums" as well. I'm sure you will find some information to get you started. Good Luck!

Attachments

• IMGP2463 (Large).jpg
    IMGP2463 (Large).jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The USCG did not require Hull Identification Number's on the older early 70's and before hulls. This has caused some angst for boater's however, just about evey State has a registration process for these older hulls.

Since there were no number's the names were also just cheap symbols or plates .....they vanish over the years.

Your old glastron or even an old mfg can be registered but you need to be persistent.

Bondo

Staff member

Why are these old boats so hard to identify as to their year of manufacture and model identification?

Ayuh,.... Because the Hull Identification Numbers were never required til 1973 or so...

The Hin.s were standardized about that time....

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Scroll down on the main forum menu to the "Owner Groups by Manufacturer" section into the 3rd blue block & click on "MFG". There are many MFG owners who may be able to help you find the info you want. There are 1 or 2 new threads on the Carefree model.

Here's a linik: http://forums.iboats.com/MFG

Good Luck!

mitchp

Seaman

Scroll down on the main forum menu to the "Owner Groups by Manufacturer" section into the 3rd blue block & click on "MFG". There are many MFG owners who may be able to help you find the info you want. There are 1 or 2 new threads on the Carefree model.

Here's a linik: http://forums.iboats.com/MFG

Good Luck!

Hey fisherball im only 30 miles from you just outside Heath OH. Mitch Thanks for the info