Good Samaritans getting the shaft.

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Good Samaritans getting the shaft.

Business as usual in the People's Republic of Maryland.

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is more bothersome to me is that the "game" warden did nothing to help in this situation. He should lose his job.:mad:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Oh they will beat that ticket and the DNR officer should step up and void it before the waste of court time and money.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ticket or not, they are innocent until and unless a judge finds them guilty.

I kind of doubt that will happen.

mscher

Lieutenant

"the law is the law", but it's just another fine example, of bureaucracy gone mad.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

This sucks. A ticket for no life vests? Huh? These guys are clearly over 16 right? This officer is an idiot and should be canned! I guess he is just trying to fund his department any way he can.

skargo

Banned

What is more bothersome to me is that the "game" warden did nothing to help in this situation. He should lose his job.:mad:
Typical around here, I have seen them stand around and watch people when they need help.
Also, we called them last year when in an area where a ton of people raft up and hang out, there were some drunk, no hammered kids in a few boats throwing glass bottles and cans in the water and acting like idiots.
They never showed up and these kids operated their boats at high speeds leaving.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

This sucks. A ticket for no life vests? Huh? These guys are clearly over 16 right? This officer is an idiot and should be canned! I guess he is just trying to fund his department any way he can.

It says they had flotation devices in the boat, just didnt have them on.

Bondo

Staff member

Ticket or not, they are innocent until and unless a judge finds them guilty.
Ayuh,... Unfortunately, people just won't let Mother Nature run her course,...

Those morons were Way outa line,...
They called DNR, 'n were told to move on, nothing to be done there,... Let the deer drown...

Also unfortunately, Stupidity isn't illegal, so I guess the Pfd ticket is gotta be close enough...

Imagine the public outcry if the morons had flipped their rowboat, 'n Drowned...:rolleyes:

skargo

Banned

So people are morons because they help a helpless animal in distress? :rolleyes:
Yes nature needs to take it's course BUT if something happens within sight you don't let needless suffering continue, unless you are a moron yourself.
I guess if a tree falls on a child, we should let nature takes it's course too? :confused:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Just yesterday a coyote was rescued from a chunk of floating ice. They even had a helicopter involved. I guess they didn't feel the need to let "nature take it's course" either. Yes, they were "professionals", but someone could have fallen overboard while snaring the coyote and died of hypothermia.

Every year wild animals are rescued from icy waters, including pets. Can you imagine if no one tried to rescue a pet? Talk about a public outcry....

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/12/coyote-rescued-from-floating-ice-in-lake-michigan.html

j_martin

Admiral

To get immersed, or risk immersion in ice water is flirting with death. Most states in the North require life vests be worn at all times during the ice water season to stretch the window of survivability a bit. You can't fix stupid, all you can do is put some force (fines) on it.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

The officer must not have met his daily quota for handing out tickets.

Summer Fun

Banned

LadyFish posted this . :)

N.Y. life vest law mandatory

Albany, New York - November 2, 2010

New York officials are reminding people about a new law meant to keep everyone safe on the cold winter waters.

Life vests are now mandatory for anyone riding in a boat less than 21 feet long, from November to May first. It's especially important during the winter because the frigid water can impair your ability to swim, breathe properly and even stay conscious. This year seven boaters in New York state, who weren't wearing life vests, died in cold-water accidents.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

What is a shame is many states have the same laws, I know in Montana, they can give you a ticket for interfering in the natural process of nature(Ya I know) but most of the time they don't, we did have one game warden that was a real jerk, but from my understanding he was persuaded to relocate to another state. Heck we have even had our swift/cold water rescue teams suit up to the same, so when you get the fire dept and the game dept fighting against each other, it makes for some real interesting news articles.

robert graham

Admiral

What Dudley Do-Right should have done is simply remind them of the life vest laws and thanked them for their fine efforts to rescue the wildlife....hope they reverse it in court!..

WIMUSKY

Staff member

LadyFish posted this . :)

N.Y. life vest law mandatory

Albany, New York - November 2, 2010

New York officials are reminding people about a new law meant to keep everyone safe on the cold winter waters.

Life vests are now mandatory for anyone riding in a boat less than 21 feet long, from November to May first. It's especially important during the winter because the frigid water can impair your ability to swim, breathe properly and even stay conscious. This year seven boaters in New York state, who weren't wearing life vests, died in cold-water accidents.

MN/WI doesn't have that law, "yet". Although, our waters are mainly froze during those months mentioned. I have seen guys wear pfds when "walking" out on 2" of ice during the hot bite of first ice. Not this cowboy, I need 6".

What Dudley Do-Right should have done is simply remind them of the life vest laws and thanked them for their fine efforts to rescue the wildlife....hope they reverse it in court!..

They should get off if for no other reason than a violation wasn't checked on the ticket.

mphy98

Lieutenant

What a pompous *****$$. And they wonder why people dislike the DNR. :mad:

mscher

Lieutenant

In the interview with one of the rescuers, they stated the the DNR "officer" stood there and watched them walk in and out of the river several times, without saying anything, writing the tickets, only when they were done.

Cops see vehicles speeding all day long. They are not required to write each and every one of them a ticket.

Just another jerk with a badge, IMO.