Newbie in over his head. HELP!!!

Spooner2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey folks. New member here. I?ve been a boat owner a little bit longer than I?ve been a member here. (just joined yesterday) Never owned a boat before but the long story short of it is my wife and my father conspired to buy a fishing boat my dad had seen in someone?s front yard for me for Christmas. He delivered it last week.

Neither of them knew what I was looking for in a fishing boat but dad thought this one was such a good deal they couldn?t pass it up.

They paid $1000 for a 1981 16? Aluminum Pikemaster with a 76? beam. (I think beam is the right word for the width. Correct me if I?m wrong. Still learning. That?s why I?m here) The motor is a 40 horse Chrysler (don?t know the year) and the trailer is a 1966 Shorelander.

Now here is where things start to go sideways. The plan had always been to buy a boat that was set up close to what I was wanting in a fishing boat. Deep V with a deck, livewell, depth/fish finder, trolling motor, rod locker and plenty of storage space. It would have a 40 or larger horse motor on it and it would run well. It would have 4 seats with additional pedestal bases in different spots of the boat to arrange people as needed. It would be clean and the carpet would be in good condition. And above all EVERYTHING would work and work well.

Here?s what I have. It looks as though the guy bought this boat as a project boat and then decided it was too hard or too expensive and slapped it all back together to sell it quick. He said he was selling it because his wife bought him a new boat. I?m not so sure. Anyway. I looked the hull over real well and didn?t see a single dent however the top half has been freshly painted. Not well I might add. The guy had no clue what ?overspray? means. But all in all the hull is tight. Onto the motor. Dad said when he saw it run it was kicking out a lot of white smoke and sounded like it was missing slightly. (I hope it?s something cheap and simple) He pointed out that one of the blades on the prop is bent but thought it could be bent back easy enough. While we were standing there talking about it I noticed a small crack about half an inch long on the motor mount.

Next the interior. The one thing that just screamed cobbled up mess of jearry rigging was the steering. The cables are too long (why I have no idea) and so he ran this piece of angle iron across this way with some nuts and bolts and a metal rod running from that to the motor and cobble cobble cobble. If I was on the lake and lost a bolt I would have no clue how to get this mess working again. After I got over this huge white elephant in my new boat my dad points out that it all has to be completely re-wired. As I looked I started seeing the wires were cut at everything requiring power except for the motor. The trolling motor he wired directly to a battery he would sit next to it. My dad then points out that it?s missing the bow light. The reason the bow light is missing is so he could mount his trolling motor directly off the front of the bow. The deck looks new. At least the carpet is new. The deck is all one solid piece the full length of the boat. No steps or risers. The front casting deck is missing and the guy built this wooden bench and attached a pedestal seat to it instead. Because the casting deck is missing the livewell is missing too. In the floor he framed around the pump and left the hole in the floor without a lid and there is only 2 inches of wire sticking out of the pump. The hose on the pump he plugged with some copper fittings. The hole on the side of the boat for the livewell (I have no clue what this hole is for) is plugged with a long bolt and a bunch of rubber washers and then painted over. There is a rod locker, a compartment behind the steering console where the battery for the motor goes, the gas tank sits out in the open, a small compartment under the seat at the steering console and another small one in front of the steering console. None of them have latches and none of them can be locked. The steering console has holes in the dash for gauges but no gauges. The wood of the console is weathered and grey. The steering wheel and control lever are old and there are no switches to operate the electronics on the boat.

That?s all I can think of for now. Looking at it, it looks like a clean boat but as you get into it, it seems to have a lot of issues. Issues that on the surface seem beyond my abilities. I?m hoping you guys can convince me otherwise. I?m relatively handy. I?ve wired electricity in my home, I?ve sweated copper water pipes, framed and sheet rocked walls, I?ve even re-carpeted my house. I?ve replaced fuel pumps, U-joints, tension pulleys and water pumps on my vehicles. So I can turn a screw and drive a nail. But there are tons of books and resources online on how to do all that stuff. I haven?t had a lot of luck when it comes to this boat.

I have a million questions that I hope you guys can either answer or point me in the right direction. I know nothing about boats so I have a lot to learn. The biggest question I have is did my wife and father get a good deal? Is this going to cost me a ton of money I don?t have to get it in working order? Are there books or internet sites that explain decking and decking layout? Where is the best place to get my parts? Where do I start? Wiring? Deck? Livewell? Steering? Motor? Speaking of motor are there books on Chrysler motors?

I?m feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment and I hope you guys can help me to get organized and informed so by spring I can dig in and get it sea worthy within a short period of time and to it right the first time. I?d hate like hell to get it done and by then end of the season have a long list of things I wished I had done.

Have at it guys. Any questions and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Newbie in over his head. HELP!!!

Welcome Aboard.
Your post was so long I only read about half (or less) of it.
May I suggest posting a pic of the area you are working on at the time and ask questions about one thing a time.
I would also try not to look at it as such a large project, but rather a few smaller ones. That way it wont seem to big to finish.

Id start with reading posts in the resto section on what part you want to start on. There is no real set place to start, just look at the project and make a plan that will fix things in an order so you dont have to undo something that you have already fixed to work on something else.
Mistakes are part of it.

Remember the old saying, K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid. No offence, I didnt make it up. :D
Best of luck,

Hoggar

Seaman

Spooner2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Spooner Welcome aboard.

Here is a post that may help you wrap your head around some of
what your getting into.

Aluminum Boat Restoration-101

And for the electrical stuff look into these books.

Your Boat's Electrical System: Manual of Electrical and Electronic Projects

Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook

Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems

Hope this helps...

Thanks Hoggar I'll give these things a looking into.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well I can't say that you got a real great deal paying $1k for a 16' with a smallish Chrysler on it. But the good news is, being an aluminum hull, it will be easy to fix up and work on. Don't be at all intimidated by boat steering or electrical systems. The entire steering system can be bought for a little over a $100. Wiring is + to +, - to -, throw some fuses in there for fun :p. The main issue will be the Chrysler which is going to be tough to find parts and service for. We have a fantastic resource of Chrysler gurus on this site though who will help you. Welcome to iboats and we like pictures!

"thought this one was such a good deal they couldn?t pass it up."

Many an argument with the wife has started this way. Nonetheless, remember... a boat is just a hole in the water you throw money into. :D

Fortunately, yours is aluminum which should be okay. You will find some great advice here so listen up and it will save your time and money with some sage advice.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I want pics I want pics. All boats are a hole in the water you put money in. You already have the hole just start putting cash in it. It will fill up soon. Or so they say. Welcome and there are loads of good people to help you here.

Spooner2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the welcome guys. I?ll try to get the snow brushed off and uncover it over the weekend to get you some pix. I never thought of a boat as a hole in the water that you throw your money into but I definitely see it that way now. LOL. But I think it will be worth it if I can pull this off. I?m contemplating a part time job over the winter when I can?t work on it so I can try dumping all the money into the hole at once in the spring and see if I can plug it.

I agree with you EZMOBEE. The Chrysler motor does worry me. I?ll go over to that forum and introduce myself and start getting some insight on it. And I?ll add breakers to my materials list. I figure I should have a kill switch with a rip cord while I?m at it.

Bifflefan ? I?m trying to look at this in one big picture so that I don?t start in the middle and end up having to undo stuff I already did. I?d hate like hell to get my decking all in only to find I have to run something under it (transducer wire maybe) and have to pull it all up to get it in. I?m depending on you guys to recommend a starting point and then breaking it down into the smaller projects and in what order those projects need to be done in. I?m taking a swing at this (so guys give me your thoughts) I?m thinking steering is the most important. Get that corrected first. Then get all my wire and plumbing run. Then build my decks (front and back), storage spots and livewell. Then seal it and carpet. Am I close? That Aluminum Boat Restoration-101 thread was a big help. Thanks again Hoggar.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

To me, a boat without a motor is not much good. If you are for sure going to replace the motor and continue with the restore then go ahead. If the motor is bad and you have to buy another one, will that influence your decision for the entire project?? If so, then tackle the motor first and see what you got.

I'm just sayin...:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yep.....the motor is the biggie.

you have basic know how on handy man skills....so dont worry about the other stuff just yet.

ok....after you get the motor running......make a list of all your wishes for the boat.....ie...decking...steering...lights...livewell....ect.

then take your list.....and a case of beer, and sit in the boat making motor boat sounds till the beer is gone.
write down all the brilliant ideas of how you have just designed your boat in your mind.

then start with the hull.....check it for leaks....fix them....then , the deck.......build it.....then the controls......then the lights......then the goodies you want added.

step by step....you will have a boat built....they way you want it......and you will also have your dream boat.

but......do some reading here first, as suggested....because for example....you want pedistal seats.....you will need to reinforce the bases under the deck before you build it.

solutions will come to you as you build it. trust me......when you are building the deck you will be thinking of how you are going to run the plumbing for the live well......the solutions will come.

have fun.....and post pics here.

cheers
oops

The good news is the boat will last forever and need little work to keep it floating. Your Dad made a wise choice. I wouldn't spend much on the engine if its not running but find another one and you will be set to fish for many years..Do like my hero says.."Can you get your boat ship shape?" "Of course you can"

Attachments

• bio_john.jpg
    bio_john.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 0

Spooner2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Woodonglass ? I was thinking the same thing last night while I was lying in bed running this restore through my head. I?m thinking I need to take it somewhere and have the motor looked over, have the compression checked and give me the thumbs up or down on its condition. I agree with you? If the motor is tight then it?s game on. The guys in the Chrysler Forum said the motor is a pretty simple one if it is indeed a Chrysler. They told me how to identify it so I?m going to do that while I have it uncovered to get you guys your pics.

Oops! ? I have a buddy I have gone fishing with a few times and I broke the news to him that next summer he?s going to have to go fishing in MY boat. I think he was more excited than I have been. We talked about it for quite a while. He said to draw it out on paper and get a list of gadgets I want to put on it. Then he added not to sweat the wiring he had a buddy that wires show cars with neon and leds for a living. He said his buddy would probably do it for that case of beer you mentioned. LOL. My buddy also offered to sand blast the trailer and paint it with his new paint gun he got over the summer. I?ll be talking to him more. I think he?s going to be a good one to have around.

I hope you?re right thefairlaneman.

nuboat2me

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds to me, that if you have enuff beer, and friends with really cool tools, YOU may not have to do too much resto work after all!!! :D

Welcome and let the fun begin.. :)

Going to watch this one...

Nuboat.. (Jeff)

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Yes, welcome to the fun!

You should have a very nice hull there with that Pikemaster and a quick search showed that it is rated up to a 70hp engine and that the dry weight was 550#.

Should be able to find comparable models to get an idea of the original layout. The best thing about "tinnies" is that they are much easier and ususlly much less costly to work with than glass.

Mine is a 1984 Lund S14 DLX that I found on graigslist for a song. There was no engine on it, the decking was soft in a small area and the carpet was shot from sitting outside in the weather. Also the plywood bench seats were also dry rotted. Though overall the hull was in excellant condition, the steering was complete and functional and the trailer fit.

Aside from the original purchase price and the cost of the engine I would guess I have less than $500.oo invested in repairs and that includes the wood for the decking and benchseats, wires, terminals and a fuse block, new marine carpet, that is as close to original Lund red as I could get, carpet adhesive. 4 seat bases and 3 Tempress NaviStyle seats.

The trailer was rebuilt with new rollers, bunks a gal of Rustolium paint and primer, lights, flapper wheels and an exspensive trip to the ER when I got a very small piece of flying rust in my eye. And yes I was wearing eye protection, prescription saftey glasses as a matter of fact.

Now all I have left for next season is a paint job and change the axle on the trailer.

So it all can be done with the only limitations being money and imagination! If you have ideas as to what you want to do then just run'm past the folks here and you will get honest advise.

Best wishes and have fun with it!

kfa4303

Banned

Who knew ther was Ship shape TV up in NC? I thought that was a Florida thing. I wish I had his toys. It's amazing how everything works perfectly and looks great when money is no object, the manufacturerers come and install evrything personally and you have an entire crew and boat yard at your disposal. Must be nice....

Spooner2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nuboat ? I hear ya!!! My buddy is going nuts. He has all these grand plans and ideas. He?s called me twice so far today. He wants to get started this weekend. And yes? Beer came up in the conversation. LOL? It?s going to be an interesting winter.

Bonz ? Dude thanks for looking that stuff up for me. My searching skills are virtually non-existant so I haven?t been able to find jack about the Pikemaster. Any suggestions on search words I should be using? I would LOVE to see what some of the old layouts looked like. I have my own idea of what I want and from the sounds of things with the right amount of money and know how I can achieve that. But I?m still curious what its original layout looked like.

Kfa4303 ? There?s a show!?!?!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey bud....

im serious about sitting in your boat with a case of beer and making motorboat sounds....:eek::D

really....do it.

those imaginary fishing trips, really do wonders for your design

Spooner2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay Oops I?ll be sure to do that. I plan to have it uncovered on Sunday so I?ll pop a top and start motor boatin!!!

Spooner2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First of all guys I have to apologize. We got 18? of snow Friday night into Saturday morning and when I went to snow blow it my snow blower wouldn?t start. So I spent all day Saturday wrestling with it and lost. Then I spent most of Sunday wrestling with it and lost. So I?m going to have to take it into a shop. So unfortunately I wasn?t able to have my buddy over, I wasn?t able to drink my beer and I wasn?t able to invite the busty neighbor over so I could make boat noises. So I will get pix as soon as I can. Maybe this coming weekend who knows. I was able to uncover the outboard and get the cover off so I could see what I had and I got some pix of that if you guys want to see them.

So now I know what I have for a motor. It?s a West Bend. iBoats doesn?t even have a forum for it. So until I know what I have for a motor, if it runs, how hard the parts are to find for it, what parts would cost if I do have to repair it and just how rare of a motor it is, the restore is on hold. The second HUGE obstacle is that the commander and chief does not embrace the moto that a boat is a hole in the water you just keep dumping money into. So I?ve been told funding will not come out of the 2011 budget. So I?m going to have to get creative. I?m guessing second job. I would have the winter to make what I needed for the restore and then do the complete job in the spring before the opener.

I?ll keep you guys posted as things progress.