anyone else get a sore shoulder from shooting big guns?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
I must have shot my 12 guage slug gun 20 times today to sigh it in.
and now my shoulder is sore.

you think maybe i have the stock resting in the wrong spot?
it seems like the stock was off my pec, and more on my shoulder muscles.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander
Re: anyone else get a sore shoulder from shooting big guns?

Shooting a 12 G slug gun and your shoulder isnt broken ? I shot mine 25 times one day and I had a bloody nose. 3 in Magnum Sabots. Thing kicks like a mule !

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

yea, and i'm shooting rifled slugs. 1 oz weight.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Sounds like you had it in the right position. You almost want it between the pec and shoulder. Like has been said, 20 shots, everyones shoulder would be sore unless you wore a pad...

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

With slugs? oh my god yes I get sore! I wish my 7mm Mag wasn't so much fun to shoot it makes me sore as well, my buddy has a 45-70 that like to kill me! I'm building a 22-250 tack driver cause I'm old and a wimp!!

Fly Rod

Commander

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something. Why would it take you twenty rounds to sight in a slug gun? should take only six or eight rounds.

j_martin

Admiral

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something. Why would it take you twenty rounds to sight in a slug gun? should take only six or eight rounds.

Maybe he was checking the ballistics, instead of relying on the charts.

I shot a couple of rounds of extremely hot custom loads through my brother's 303 British. I was black and blue half way to my waist. Deer at 450 yards died.

i386

Captain

Yup I'd be black and blue too. 6-8 shots with anything bigger than a .410 and I'm going to feel something the next day. I'll shoot anything once, but I prefer not to shoot anything repeatedly that has a lot of recoil.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Try pumpin 600 rounds down range in a 12 hour day with an FN C1 A1
(7.62 FN- FAL)

OUCH

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Probably was flinching big time because he knew what the pain was going to be inflicted on his shoulder...:D

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Your darn right I would be sore....geeze, do you wear black leather and carry a whip?

:D

Just be careful next time you shoot it, the muscle memory is going to cause you to flinch, I was a firearms instructor for a while when I was in the army and we would never, and I mean never let the guys shoot that much with a heavy kick firearm!!!

Before you start shooting it again, I would give it a few days, then instead of shooting it right away, take a .22 rifle out and train our body over, right now the subliminal message is "its going to hurt" so you need to retrain with a smaller caliber rifle a few times. This is how we trained guys to overcome the finch reaction after shooting heavy recoil rifles.

That was far to much shooting with a rifle that kicks that heavy..

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

And that's why those of us that shoot competition high power which started in the Army wear a shooting jacket with a nice leather recoil pad ;).........

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

I love the guys at the range with the shotguns that look at my .300 win mag and say " I'm glad I'm not shooting that" as they touch off a much quicker burning powder charge with their slug guns :D

You guys shooting shotguns are basically setting off a large charge of quick burning pistol powder to launch that heavy slug downrange.

You'd be much better off shooting from a standing position ( use a pole or other support if if needed ) so your body moves some to absorb the recoil. Also, whether you're shooting from the bench or standing, keep your elbow out ( trigger hand )from your body at a 90 degree angle. That will put more "meat" behind the stock.

Don't be afraid to use a thick foam pad or recoil pad on your shoulder either. No use trying to be macho if you can't properly shoulder your weapon out in the field.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

And that's why those of us that shoot competition high power which started in the Army wear a shooting jacket with a nice leather recoil pad ;).........

I agree Bob,

Now a days, I never shoot match two weeks in a row, unless I am in line to win something big, I normally shoot every other week during the competition season, if I have to shoot two weeks in a row, I will shoot on Saturday, then on Wed I put a few hundred rounds through a .22 that is the same set up as my big bore, then I shoot match again on Sat..it is amazing what your body remembers!

One other thing I have added to all of my guns is Sim's Limbsaver vibration recoil pads, I know the guy that invented them and they are an amazing product, we started equipping all of our combat shotguns with the recoils pads and it made a heck of a big difference..

http://www.limbsaver.com/

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I agree Bob,

Now a days, I never shoot match two weeks in a row, unless I am in line to win something big, I normally shoot every other week during the competition season, if I have to shoot two weeks in a row, I will shoot on Saturday, then on Wed I put a few hundred rounds through a .22 that is the same set up as my big bore, then I shoot match again on Sat..it is amazing what your body remembers!

One other thing I have added to all of my guns is Sim's Limbsaver vibration recoil pads, I know the guy that invented them and they are an amazing product, we started equipping all of our combat shotguns with the recoils pads and it made a heck of a big difference..

http://www.limbsaver.com/

Oh did I mention my cheek/cheek bone was black/red for a week, more than once.

Is boxing any better????

OH, bye the way 5,56mm aint a big deal, try 7.62mm nato all your career.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

5.56mm was never my weapon of choice..in fact I only carried it when it was the only option, I was a close quarters urban combat trainer, so my weapon of choice was normally a small 9mm machine pistol, but I did have lots of occasions that I carried a 7.62. I also have a custom modified machine pistol that carries 30 rounds of .40 S&W mag rounds, many of the border patrol in our area now carry these weapons, but it is not a standard issue weapon..

Just about the time I retired, they were phasing in a 12 gauge fully auto assault weapon, I tested it a few times, that was on hell of a weapon and quite easy to shoot, of course you didn't hold it up to the shoulder...but man that thing could deliver some damage!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

well i was trying to decide between a few dirrerent brands of slugs.
so i shot the ones i used last year. then shot some sabot slugs i had laying around.

the winchester supreme's shot really good. but i only had 2. and everyone is sold out. since deer season starts tommorow.
here you can't hunt with a rifle. just slug gun.
so i am using remmington slugger. the big riffled slugs.
shooting out of a riffled barrel.
i know your not supposed to do that.
but they are pretty accurate too.
and much bigger hole.

i try to surprise my self when i pull the trigger.
so i don't flinch.
i just slowly put more pressure on it and hold the crosshairs.
i noticed it hurt more from the prone position than kneeling.
good info about using your trigger hand to take some recoil off.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

well i was trying to decide between a few dirrerent brands of slugs.
so i shot the ones i used last year. then shot some sabot slugs i had laying around.

the winchester supreme's shot really good. but i only had 2. and everyone is sold out. since deer season starts tommorow.
here you can't hunt with a rifle. just slug gun.
so i am using remmington slugger. the big riffled slugs.
shooting out of a riffled barrel.
i know your not supposed to do that.
but they are pretty accurate too.
and much bigger hole.

i try to surprise my self when i pull the trigger.
so i don't flinch.
i just slowly put more pressure on it and hold the crosshairs.
i noticed it hurt more from the prone position than kneeling.
good info about using your trigger hand to take some recoil off.

I have high hopes of seeing a smiling successful hunter in the next few days!

:D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

to funny, my 1878 veterlli is about as accurate at 300 yards as any m14 and all m16's. and if ya get knocked with that 480 grain slug ya aint gonna write a letter home.
but a buddy of mine actually got me to shoot his .470 nitro elaphant gun.
once and once only.
if I had to do it again, let the eleaphant step on me, will hurt less.
if 20 rounds of slugs makes ya hurt, dont try dove hunting in south america.
now that I cannot get the leon beux ammo I am going to have to covert to .41 cal remmington centerfire.
mostly down to two goals, one is the .50 nitro and the single shot .50.
done the .50 browning heavy barrel.
it aint got sheet on the 20mm vulcan.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

a sabot slug is just as big as a 50 cal round.

and a regular slug is even bigger.

but they are not as fast as a real 50 cal round.