Volvo Penta 260A ? Parts Source Advice ? Bellows, U-Joint, Gimble Bearing

highamperage

Cadet
Hello! I have a 1979 Bayliner Conquest and I believe I have a leaking bellow/boot. Water is coming in the bilge at a decent rate from a hole in the lower portion of the outdrive. Unfortunately, I had some financial issues so was unable to tend to this issue for some time; the pumps have been dealing with this for a while.

I have been reading about similar issues on this forum and think that I probably will need to work on the u-joint and gimble bearings due to the time/corrosion that has probably occurred.

Interestingly enough, the leak sealed itself (bad?) until I started the engine, at which time it re-opened.

Anyway, I have Volvo Penta 260A engines. I am not sure if that includes the engine and outdrive as a unit? I know the outdrive is also Volvo Penta. I am having some trouble finding u-joints/bearings/bellows for the 260A specifically. Am I missing something? Or just not looking in the right places?

I am pretty new to this and I appreciate any advice anyone may have! I?m looking forward to getting this boat fixed up and workable.

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo Penta 260A ? Parts Source Advice ? Bellows, U-Joint, Gimble Bearing

You might try the top of this page on the port side for Volvo Penta parts etc. Good luck on your project.

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class

If this is original equipment they you likely have a Volvo 270/275/280 outdrive. These do not have gimbal bearings. They have a bell housing which has a short shaft with a couple of bearings in it.

The bearings are likely shot if they have been sitting in water. The engine needs to be removed to get remove the bell housing and get at the bearings.

Your leak may or may not be the bellows. Look at the attached picture of my transom plate. You can see the raw water intake could be leaking (Pipe above the hole) or the y pipes could be leaking, or the transom shield seal itself.

Try to make sure what it is before you tear it apart.

Chay

Attachments

• DSC04401.jpg
    DSC04401.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 0

highamperage

Cadet

I appreciate the information.

I am pretty sure there is at least a leak in the bellows... as there is a crack. Given my luck, it?s probably all of the above. But, if I forwarded enough of those good luck emails today, and if I stop the leak, is there a way to tell if the bearings are shot before tearing it apart? I'd rather not have to pull the engine if possible. I'd want to do that fall of 2011, and rebuild them, re-do the engine compartment and all wiring.

If I run it until the bearings fail, what would the consequences be? Just an inoperable outdrive, or a catastrophic failure/leak?

captmello

Captain

you can pull the upper gear box and see how much play is in the rear bearing.

Allowing it to fail is not a good option. The bearings can seize, spin in the flywheel cover and require a lot more parts than just the bearings.

Pulling the upper is a routine procedure. At that time you can inspect the ujoints, etc.

Heres a link to pulling the upper.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309095

captmello

Captain

That outdrive could be a fair deal. Replacing the suspention fork is not that easy but can be done without special tools, etc.

I don't see how it helps your leak however???