Please Help

No1Brvzfan

Recruit
I purchased my first boat this past summer, with a 1977 Chrysler outboard. The gentleman i purchased this from said it needed a " coil pack? ". Not being mechanically inclined, I took the boat into my wife's uncles shop after i purchased it and he worked on it for a day and said he got it running and turning over good. The next weekend i put it in the water, and after about 30 long minutes i finally got it to turn over ( up to that day, the boat hadn't been in the water for over a year ). I guess you could say the boat was running decent, but didnt seem to want to get up to speed. RPM's were running very high when in full throttle so I had to back it down for the duration. I ran it up and down the river for around 30 minutes, thinking the bugs would would work themselves out, but never happened, so I called it a day. The next morning, I took it out again, but this time I could not get it turned over. Frustrated, I gave up, and has been in the garage ever since. Like I said earlier, this is my first boat, and I am deffinatley not mechanically inclined. PLEASE HELP!!!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Please Help

Do the basics.A compression test then a spark test.Then a fuel system check.You will need a manual ASAP.The library can get what you need.
You'll need to remove the carb.Take it apart.Look for dirt and gunk in the carb.Make sure that all jets and holes are clean.While it's off look at the reeds.
The fuel pump is next.The diaphragm could have holes or streched out.
Rebuild it anyway.
Check the fuel for water.Check hoses for loose connections.J

Benz Mondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In a lot of motors, they will start up better when the engine is cold while in the tilted (trailering) position, usually due to a need to refurbish the carbs.

Key: always make sure that you have water running through the system to keep the motor cool. If you're not on the water, make sure you supply the needed water to the motor via the "ear muffs". If you're on the water, then make sure that you only tilt start it enough to get it to idle and then immediately tilt it down into the water to get the water circulating within the motor. You might as well go ahead and change the water pump impeller. Do a search on this website to show you how to do it or have it done.

Also test your over heat buzzer to make sure that you have a warning buzzer that your motor is over heating. You can do this by turning the key on, but not starting it and taking a wire, with only the ends exposed, and touching the bolt head of the over heat sensor (it's the reddish or orange colored plastic stub that's got a bolt in the center and is just to the left and below the top cylinder spark plug) and one of the head bolts. This "grounds out" the sensor and you should hear a buzzer sound up at your helm. If you ever hear that buzzer while running the motor, IMMEDIATELY, shut down the motor before you melt something expensive.

Im sure you'll received more tips, but these are some of the most valuable ones to me.

Al

beckspop

Seaman

Do the basics.A compression test then a spark test.Then a fuel system check.You will need a manual ASAP.The library can get what you need.
You'll need to remove the carb.Take it apart.Look for dirt and gunk in the carb.Make sure that all jets and holes are clean.While it's off look at the reeds.
The fuel pump is next.The diaphragm could have holes or streched out.
Rebuild it anyway.
Check the fuel for water.Check hoses for loose connections.J

Tell us if all this makes sense...there are "sticky's" on this forum walking you through most of this

antique fisherman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

By not ( turning over ), I assume that the starter is not turning. If this is the case clean the battery connections at the battery, starter solenoid, and the ground connection from battery to engine block. Remove the connections, one at a time, clean them and tighten them back down. Also be sure that you have a good battery. Happy New Year.

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just want to say these guys are great!!! i went to the sticky for the water pump replacment done mine today and the instructions are right on!!!! i also done the telltale!!!