Impellar advise

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class
I want to order an impeller for a 15 hp rude that I bought today. Does anyone have any preference between Mallory or Sierra? any good or bad experience?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Impellar advise

Neither. I would use only a BRP part, but to each his own.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There have been some bad reports circulating lately about bad Sierra impellers, thickness not to spec. Could be isolated problem.

reelfishin

Captain

I've used both Sierra and OMC impellers with no problems either way.
I use mostly Sierra simply since they are what's locally available.
The nearest BRP dealer is over an hour away. I can get Sierra from the local parts store.

I change mine pretty often so it's not usually a problem. If I find a motor needs a whole water pump kit, I usually use an OEM kit but I normally have to order them, no one seems to stock them here.

I have never had a Sierra impeller fail but have had a few BRP impellers that didn't match or were superceded forcing me to buy a complete kit since they combined or updated the impeller to take a new or another part number.
Sierra still offers the original sized impellers for the correct year in most cases. If I go with a BRP impeller, I am often forced to change everything. Thats been the case with several 6hp and smaller motors.