CDI, Sierra, Mallory, OEM? What is the best choice?

richardbrown67@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice
1980 70hp Johnson 3 cyl.

I'm getting ready to buy a power pack and 3 ignition coils.

I've found four options for brands. CDI, Sierra, Mallory, or the actual Johnson-brand parts.

While I know this may start an unending debate, I'm curious if there is a consensus about the quality of the various brands before I buy.

Thanks

Richard

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: CDI, Sierra, Mallory, OEM? What is the best choice?

I consider CDI and OEM approx =, followed by Sierra and Mallory, in that order of preference.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Why are you buying a power pack and three ignition coils ? All go bad at one time ?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Well if you go to a dealer and purchase one your getting a CDI unit in a BRP box as CDI was suppling all the electrical parts for engines 1999 and earlier. I have heard that this has fell thru and electrical's are being supplied thru a South American company that does a lot of Sierra's production. You can buy the CDI unit cheaper than the OEM and Mallory and Sierra units are almost as good.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Would you care to guess what I found in some of my Sierra packages when I opened them over the last few months? Mallory ignition products!!!!

Now I always tried to stay away from Sierra unless I was in a bind, but after having some of their parts on my Evinrude and having no failures I really can't knock them.

I still stick with OEM on internal parts and that's greatly due to force of habit and it is a habit that served me well.

After doing further research I did find that Mallory and Sierra are in cahoots together although it's not a widespread publicly discussed operation.

If people honestly think that the dealer uses OEM parts 100% of the time then you will be shocked to know that they don't. It's not uncommon at all for a dealer to use an aftermarket ignition component if they are out of stock at their location.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I agree with the others on BRP electronic parts being rebranded aftermarket parts. I try to buy parts from my local dealer when I can, but when the price differential is large (as it usually is when buying powerpacks, etc.), I just can't justify paying much more for the same part.

???