1989 bayliner capri 16 footer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer
so after shopping around for a boat and really not coming up with anything in my price range or liking we found a like new1989 bayliner capri 16foot with a force 50 on it . the boat was taken out only 3 times since new and was parked in my girlfriends grandparents barn covered up since located in west Virgina .we live in florida and was lucky enough to have a relative on the way down so they even delivered it . with alittle cleaning and some light maintenance we got her cleaned up and going this boat is like new and i mean LIKE NEW it was only taken in fresh water 3 times they decided they didnt like boating and parked it .. i know they where not much of a boat from new and have a bad rap.i have read all the headaches about the way they where built but the price was right for this NEW old boat .. i will post pic as soon as i get a chance .. i think the hull design is very sporty and is a sharp looking boat , although she is little under powered i am not looking to win any races with her, just have a nice day out on the water.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1989 bayliner capri 16 footer

Congrats Wayne ! Yes, they are sharp little boats. Seems that you have definately made the deal of the day! Please do all of the PM necessary on the motor to have a fun time on the water. A 50 hp on that boat will not
( as you mentioned ) win any races but with the cost of fuel these days it should prove more than adequate for a daily outing. Enjoy, and be safe !!!

Make sure you have a mechanic check the motor for any old or dry-rotted parts. I bought a Bayliner Capri 175 with a Force 120 a couple of years ago. The water pump and fuel pump needed to be replaced due to lack of use. I also replaced the stator but I don't think that had anything to do with lack of use. Anyway, boats that just sit can have just as many engine problems as those that are used every weekend. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

MikDee

Banned

Sounds like you got a Great deal! Good for you, Yes the bayliner is a sleek looking, well designed, boat, they are just built a little light, but get her in shape, do your maintenance, and you will be Fine!

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

50 hp is a little weak for power, I had one with a Force 70 hp and couldn't imagine having less then that. But if the boat is in great shape you can always repower later

Last week on ebay, a 2001 16' Capri 50 hp that was sold really cheap with hardly any bids, I backed off because of the low hp

Marc..

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an older 16 ft capri with the FORCE 85 on it and absoultely love it. 50 HP will definately be underpowered but its a great starting combo. If you got a great deal on the boat you can upgrade to a 90 HP (which is Max) for 1500 bucks or so on ebay if you see fit. But if it were me, i would run it like it is for awhile and enjoy it. One thing to consider though, its a older bayliner which is known to rot. Keep that baby covered at all times when outside or store it inside. After you have her on the water make sure she drys out completely before storing. I usually let mine sit in the sun for a few hours and have even gotten crazy and towel dried the real wet spots. A little TLC will keep her in great shape for many years to come.

wayne h

here is the pics of the boat i promised

May315.jpg

May323.jpg

May339.jpg

May354.jpg

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... thats insane dood. you did find a cherry of a boat. congrats

wayne h

only problem is the drivers windsheild is cracked at the top i have the piece but have not fixed it yet . i looked into a new windshield but that was gonna cost about 220 buxs

oops!

Supreme Mariner

what showroom did you pull that one outta !

the bliners were bad boats if left in the rain and weather....if it was barn kept....the actual boat should be good.......

the force will need some going over as it had been sitting....but thats a great score....try to keep it garage stored

it will last for years

cheers
oops

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

I cannot remember an engine that old in such shape as that one. The entire boat looks like new. Barn finds are so cool.

As for that windshield, what is $220 compared to the value of that boat? A drop in the bucket. A local windshield shop might be able to make you one for less, but if you can get a new one, I would go that way.

Like stated before, get it serviced and run the heck out of it.​

Dakota47

Thats the deal of the century.. great looking boat.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

WOW what a find! As suggested here do your preventive maintenance and go have fun.

Joe

Nandy

Commander

Please, and I mean, please, get the motor checked before you do anything. Gear lube and impeller is a must change. I will tried to lube the cylinders every which way I could before even attemp a start. I would most definetly take the carbs out and inspect them and if possible would put a new kit on it. That combo is a great find, one in a million. Make sure you do everything possible to not mess it up!!! Any of the above can cost you a new motor....

wayne h

i am a mechanic and have messed with alot of 9.5 engines i use to run thrm on my small 12 foot boat .it started to become a hobby for a while till i just got tired of the little tiller handle boat . i am going to go though this one .. wanna hear somthing else . looking on craigs list i found a complete extra motor for 100$ with prop .WHAT A DEAL . to me thats worth its weight in gold just INCASE i need any other parts . although the power head is blown on the parts motor its all there except for the flywheel . SO i picked it up just incase ..

Nandy

Commander

Good thinking wayne! Hopefully you wont need parts in years to come.

wayne h

it just gives me a reason to collect more junk lol

Dakota47

I bet your going boating this weekend,,;) Me too,, i just took the boat out and put on muffs to check everything out.. im ready ..here is a pic of mine
0f23_1.jpg
got it on e-bay for $3,000 ,, 1987 Rinker 4.3 V-6 Cobra ..

wayne h

great looking boat .. this week is a no go for me since i have family here and have to play host for a few days BUT i will be out as soon as they leave LOL

I bet your going boating this weekend,,;) Me too,, i just took the boat out and put on muffs to check everything out.. im ready ..here is a pic of mine
0f23_1.jpg
got it on e-bay for $3,000 ,, 1987 Rinker 4.3 V-6 Cobra ..

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good score Wayne, the boat looks real good. About the windshield, I see that the missing part is small, why don't you cut both windshield the same size ! I think it would actually look better then that small lip going up on the windshield

Marc..

Status
Not open for further replies.