New Snowblower

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: New Snowblower

It's not really whether it's Craftsman, Toro, MTD or Homelite, it's more like Briggs & Stratton vs. Techumseh vs. Honda vs. Kohler. Honda and Kohler are my first power choices, Briggs third, Techumseh fourth. All of them anymore build good motors and parts are readily available.
That looks like a great buy from Sears!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

If you are in a snow belt, you can't go wrong with a 2 stage blower, but you also need a bigger motor over the single stage.

And get chains!!! :D

rogerwa

Commander

I have owned a 5 hp 21 " 2 stage for the last 10 years.. The size of that one just wasn't big enough for my needs.

Also, many of the new ones come with engines from LCS, which looks to be a US based supplier of chinese engines. These used to routinely come with the Tecumseh Snow king engines, but those are harder to find now. I am assuming that Sears would support these froma parts perspective, which is an advantage over HD or Lowes or other that may be more difficult to find parts.

jkust

Rear Admiral

When I bought my snowblower 7 years ago, I went to Menards and bought the biggest one they had at the time before the snow season started. It was the cheap yard king brand but with the B&S engine. We haven't had the massive snow amounts we used to get but when we do get the big storms I'm glad I bought the big one. I will say that the electric start pays dividends after the storm when the really cold front moves in as it always does. Now they seem to advertise the engines in terms of torque and not HP like they used to. I will say I am only so-so satisfied with it. The handles you push down with both hands to both engage the drive and the blower wear your grip out after a short time. There is a sort of gear fluid leak coming from somewhere and I didn't even know there was any gear fluid in it and sometimes putting it in the lowest forward gear makes it go in reverse. Something is obviously worn out but don't know what. The built in headlight is directly behind the chute which blocks the effectiveness but I think they finally started offsetting the headlight. I have also mistakenly melted a few gloves accidently touching the poorly placed muffler. If I had it to do over again I'd buy the better brand for the better quality built chassis and controls. I can only imagine if we had 7 heavy or even normal snow years how much more worn out it'd be. Some years we maybe used it once.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I have a 24" MTD with tracks and not wheels, it has held up quite well and where I live, I am in the heavy snow belt, I use it to clear paths to the house and such, but my driveway is a 1/4 of a mile and has a steep incline, it is also gravel, so I had to upgrade and get a plow for my ATV, has made a world of different, the snow blower was always getting gravel jammed in the blades. If I was to buy a new blower, I would go with a bigger one and a two stage unit, it would make life a lot easier...

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have a 24" MTD with tracks and not wheels, it has held up quite well and where I live, I am in the heavy snow belt, I use it to clear paths to the house and such, but my driveway is a 1/4 of a mile and has a steep incline, it is also gravel, so I had to upgrade and get a plow for my ATV, has made a world of different, the snow blower was always getting gravel jammed in the blades. If I was to buy a new blower, I would go with a bigger one and a two stage unit, it would make life a lot easier...

Once the paper boy threw the paper in the driveway then it snowed more on top of it. All I can say is I cursed the paper boy for a long time after that. Also two stage around here is just a given. My neighbor has a one stage for his riding lawnmower and it is nothing but trouble. Mine has these metal things on the edges called drift cutters and they work well when the snow is really deap. My el cheapo also has a sort of locking differential option you can switch on and off so you don't have slippage even on ice. I don't know how big your driveway is but that Sears model you linked to looked smallish. Like some of my neighbors units when I have to go help out.

Brewman61

Ensign

11 years ago I bit the bullet and got a Honda 928 (9HP 28")- wheel drive, not the track drive one. It cost hundreds more than the competition, and after more than a decade of MN winters it continues to amaze me.
The engine starts easily and has electric start but I've never needed it. It's well made and just chews thru snow- wet and dry. Throws dry snow probalby a good 30' or more.
The chute deflection angle is adjustable from the controls, and the mechanism to turn the chute from side to side is way better constructed than the wire cork screw that comes on the lower end stuff.
Hydrostatic drive means the wheel speed is controllable with a smooth moving lever, not a geared transmission. Wanna go just a tad faster? Just slide the drive lever a bit more forward. Smoothly shifts into reverse too.
To me it has turned out to be a very wise purchase. It's not showing any signs at all of wearing out or needing service.
Excellent quality machine- a premium price but totally worth it to me.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I don't care for Sears power equipment anymore. Too many proprietary parts, and the larger service centers around me (like John Deere) will not service them.

I like Ariens, and two years ago bought a 22" snow thrower by Ariens. Good machine, large auger, large second stage discharge, and high discharge tube. I also like the fact that all controls are simple. Want to change the chute direction? Turn the little metal crank. No cables, no plastic levers, just straight forward engineering. The motor is a Tecumseh Flat head that really churns out the torque for throwing wet snow. There are very few plastic parts. Most all of it is metal (that does not crack in cold weather). The tires are heavy snow designed air filled tires. Simple platter drive. Heavy skids out front that are easy to replace.

I see so many new machines by all different manufacturers with motors by Subaru, Unknown Chinese brands, etc where you know parts are going to be hard to get.

Airens machines are compeditavely priced with the Sears, Yard Machines, MTD, etc but are much heavier duty.

JMO

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Didn't Tecumseh go under?
I've had trouble getting some parts, and that is the reason I am given.

dwco5051

Commander

I have a 32"/14 HP Snow king engine. I was leery about the finger tip steering since it looked a little flimsy but it has given me no trouble for 9 years now. The larger the machine the nicer the steering is since you don't have to wrestle them around as much. I have two properties, one with a 300 foot drive and the other about 700'. Three passes up and down clears them both.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Sears, and others, are made by MTD. I just bought the 24" one 'cause I didn't like the joy stick chute control.

If I had the $$, I would have thought real serious about the one 2 steps up that had steering control. But then, we don't all the snow that ya'll get up north.

Whatever you get, also get the extra shear pins.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Didn't Tecumseh go under?
I've had trouble getting some parts, and that is the reason I am given.

Apparently Tecumseh sold off the small engine plant to a new owner who will be closing it down.

So far I have not had any problems getting Tecumseh parts for other Tecumseh engines I have.

Too bad, I always liked Tecumseh engine designs better than B&S. Also always felt that actually produced more HP than their rating.

Maybe one day someone will buy the name and designs and continue making the classic American small engine..... in China.

rogerwa

Commander

Seems that China is building the Honda knockoffs. I recently bought a 6.5hp Harbor Freight horizontal shaft engine for my kids mini bike. I beleive it is parts compatible with a honda. I am very impressed with this engine and I bought it for less than $100. Longevity?? who knows, but the mini bike doesn't get that much use and it is not like it is wood splitter or something..

I am concerned about the amount of plastic on the sears units and that is maybe why I am hesitating.

It is frustrating with what the big box centers are doing with name brands. The Ariens models that were referenced earlier can be had at Lowes, but I suspect those are models that are specifically for distribution by lowes and you cannot be sure you are getting your name brands worth. That goes for the Try-bilt stuff as well. AS was mentioned earlier, most of the available models are built by the same company and rebranded.

I know this is not a lifes purchase, but I want to get the best quality for the money.

dolluper

Captain

Well I can tell you I have fixed many ....Stay awaay from those polymer shutes get one with a metal shute 4SURE......murray since briggs came along are great but have a bad auger cable that breaks easy buy a spare.....craftsman are good metal shute ones but the polymer axle bearings wear out replace with brass ones.....5-6 hp are ok on small single drives but anything more double or long you what a 10 hp or more....Tecumseh are good if you learn toset them up right but Briggs are much easier less quirks

Brewman61

Ensign

It is frustrating with what the big box centers are doing with name brands. The Ariens models that were referenced earlier can be had at Lowes, but I suspect those are models that are specifically for distribution by lowes and you cannot be sure you are getting your name brands worth. That goes for the Try-bilt stuff as well. AS was mentioned earlier, most of the available models are built by the same company and rebranded.

It doesn't make sense for a company Like Ariens to put out sub par goods, especially if it's has their name on it. The damage to their reputation would be greater than any gains from the sales thru Lowes, etc...
While it may be true that Lowes and other big boxers may have branded models unique to their stores it's likely to be like TV's and matresses model numbers- to placate the traditional dealers a bit and make comparison shopping harder. But I personally don't believe that a Honda sold thru Home Depot is less quality than a Honda sold thru a Honda reseller. The reputation is too much to risk.
However, I don't believe that a MTD which brags Made By Honda, is of the same quality. It's quite possible that in this case MTD is merely using Honda's manufacturing facilities, and I'm betting it's unlikely that you're getting the same engine as a Honda made for Honda.
Just my $0.02.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I so wish you were right Brewman. I really do, but I gotta agree with roger. See Home Depot John Deeres :eek: !!!

scipper77

Commander

I have a similar craftsman (5 years old now). The plastic chute has broken and been replaced. When the chute was cracked I would sometimes lose drive. I think the friction/clutch mech was getting wet because the crack in the chute dumped snow all over the unit that would then melt but I'm not sure. There is a small oil leak from somewhere??

The bottom line is that the thing does a pretty good job but you definitely get what you pay for. I got mine used (2yo) for $350 so for me it was well worth it but if I was buying new I would definately look for a metal chute. Also mine has an 8.5 HP (259cc) motor, so it might not be the same set up as yours. I would imagine that all briggs engines use similar design as far as types of seals/location etc...

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Roger,

I have the 27" Craftsman w/ the 8 hp Briggs, pull / electric (120V) start. It is a bit older, but I use the heck out of it.

I do multiple properties with it, it lives in my van during a snow event. It is about 7 years old, and gets used several hours per snowfall. I can do my 500+ feet of driveway in about an hour.

My repairs thus far:

So far no engine problems,

Many, many axle shearpins...:eek::D

Rebuilt auger gearbox 2 years ago. Bevel gear was toast. Added a grease zerk to the housing, so hopefully it will be longer lived now. Note to self- when clearing a construction site, check for bricks first.:redface:

Also, the Poly chute takes a beating, and cracked in half last year. It does not like ice chunks, which I have plenty of in multiple driveway aprons I do. See my repair below.

My now gravel drive would chew up those poly/nylon skids ( the one you linked to) in a heartbeat, but are really nice for an asphalt driveway.

Attachments

• snowblower27.jpg
    snowblower27.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 0
D

DJ

I purchased one snowblower in my lifetime. I did so, on may way home from Fargo as the Minnesota "Storm of 91" was blowing in. We got 29" of snow in 24 hours.:eek:

I bought an MTD 8 HP (2-stage) from Home Depot. It had a Tecumseh engine.

I Ran 5 gallons of gas through that Tecumseh in ONE WEEKEND!:eek: That's how I broke it in.:D

It always started in the seven years I owned it and it ran flawlessly HOWEVER, I always took care of it. My son used it as a "little business" when he was a teenager. He had a contracts to keep five driveways cleared. It saw a LOT of use.

1. ALWAYS used a fuel conditioner. (Sea Foam)

2. Kept the oil changed.

3. Buy extra belts and auger shear pins when you buy it. Ice chucks frequently break auger shear pins.

4. Shut the fuel off, at the tank, and run it dry when not using it.

I replaced the spark plug, oil and belts every fall and always treated the fuel with Sea Foam.

My blower ALWAYS started and worked flawlessly.

The belts never failed me but I replaced them every year-anyway. I kept the old ones as spares-for that season.

I sold it in '98' for $50.00 less than what I paid for it. The neighbor "had to have it" since it was so reliable.