Evinrude 18hp v.s. 40hp ??

Duracraft14

Cadet
I currently have a '63 18HP Fastwin (which I have not had out yet)

I'm thinking about getting a '68 40HP Lark IV with remote with electric start

Application is 1962 14' Duracraft V hull with closed bow

I'll be using it primarily in salt water for TX gulf bay fishing and just cruising.

Payload will be my 100# son and myself tipping the scales at 220#

Wanted to give as much info as possible.

Pleased to hear any and all thoughts, comments -- Thanks Forum.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude 18hp v.s. 40hp ??

I have different years of both. There's a big difference between the 2. It depends on what you are looking for. The 18 can also be used remotely, maybe you already have it that way.

In general the 18 will take 1.8 gallons of fuel per hour at WOT and the 40 will use 4 gallons of fuel per hour at WOT, thus over twice the fuel. Something to think about these days...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

twice the HP. you are not going to be happy with the 18, as it is 1/2 your rated HP. the 68 40 would be cool for ascetics, and it could be reliable. the main unknown if the clutch dog in the lower unit. that vintage is known for the clutch dog, and forward & reverse gear being worn, and not staying in gear, under load.

wbeaton

Commander

What's the max hp rating of the boat? Huge difference between these motors.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think the '63 Fastwin is a much nicer looking engine than the '68 Lark... but others will (and have!) disagreed :)

Duracraft14

Cadet

Sorry, The rating is max 35 HP - The main things I am looking for are reliability and being able to put the peddle to the metal on occasion. Nothing too mid-life crisis, just a little fun. My idea is to have a semi-classic that I won't have to worry about getting back to shore with my son in.

Thanks Forum

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Don't exceed the maximum rating of the boat or your insurance could be void. Thus if those are your only 2 choices then you have to use the 18. It's a very reliable engine if tuned properly.