Rode in a 2011 Mustang GT today

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
A friend recently bought a 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 with the 6spd and 3.73 rear gears.. He's already uploaded a custom tune to it. Now I've had some quick cars in the past, but this thing is unbelievable.. 1st gear is pretty useless due to uncontrollable tire spin at anything over 1/4 throttle.. We did a 2nd gear roll start from 20mph, as soon as it hit about 3,000rpm it was tire spin all the way to 60mph, it left (2) 20' stripes as evidence.. On the second try with warm tires from a 20mph roll in 2nd gear it held traction until it reached 5,000rpm, then it broke 'em loose again.

Over his 1st 1,000 miles with "spirited" city/highway driving he has averaged 20mpg.

I'm impressed.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Rode in a 2011 Mustang GT today

Word up ! The 5.0 is back. :cool:

Very nice looking facelift on the new style Mustang and the new 5.0 engine is suppose to handle gobs of power on the stock block.
Even the 5.0 in the F150 is going to be a real step up from the previous V8's.

The new Taurus looks real respectable as well IMO, glad to see good things from Ford.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, years ago I had a '95 GT 302 w/ heads, cam, nitrous, gears, drag radials, it ran high 12s in the 1/4, but I swear this 2011 pulls harder than that did! Just amazing...

Maybe I'll buy a used one in 5 years for half what they sell for new. :D

Word up ! The 5.0 is back. :cool:

Very nice looking facelift on the new style Mustang and the new 5.0 engine is suppose to handle gobs of power on the stock block.
Even the 5.0 in the F150 is going to be a real step up from the previous V8's.

The new Taurus looks real respectable as well IMO, glad to see good things from Ford.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I read a review on the 2011 and was impressed...I thought 20 years ago the day of stout V8's was about over and bought a new 1990 5.0 LX. She's been babied and garaged all her life. Only 41k miles on her. Of course 20 years ago, I was wrong. My car's 225 hp is anemic compared to what some 6 cylinders are putting out...On paper, anyway.

Attachments

• My '90 LX.JPG
    My '90 LX.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 0

jkust

Rear Admiral

I read a review on the 2011 and was impressed...I thought 20 years ago the day of stout V8's was about over and bought a new 1990 5.0 LX. She's been babied and garaged all her life. Only 41k miles on her. Of course 20 years ago, I was wrong. My car's 225 hp is anemic compared to what some 6 cylinders are putting out...On paper, anyway.

Isn't it amazing the technology gains that have translated to more hp. I drove a GT convertable for a short time back in the early 1990's and as fast as it seemed, now it seems every car shy of compacts has at least the hp of those old 5.0's. Even my wife's grocery getter has 300+ hp these days. I'm actually on a business trip now renting an Explorer and all I can say is what were they thinking with this thing. I haven't seen the new Mustang but by the sounds of it, it must be miles ahead of the Explorer (Body on frame version not the new one)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

For most of the past decade or so there wasn't a Ford car that you could pay me to drive. Now I really like almost all of them. I have never owned a Ford but they will be seriously considered the next time I'm in the market.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I have seen and heard some good things about the new 5.0. Maybe I should go take one for a test drive. :D

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Tub it out and put some lead in the trunk!!!

Lucraft

Cadet

Beautiful Coupe!! Just remember, horsepower sells cars; torque wins races. That 3.5L Nissan V6 may make 300 HP at 7000 RPM, but it's power "under the curve" that wins the race.

stang.jpg

I sold my last 5.0 Coupe last year.. a maroon 1987 5.0 5-speed, 97k miles and completely stock except for the wheels, hood and dual 2.5" Flowmaster catback exhaust. It had the stock 2.73 gears and would run 80 in 2nd gear. I drove it 240 miles one night when I moved up here to St. Aug.. 1700 RPM @ 75 mph in 5th gear. Got 24 mpg overall, and that included some very "spirited" driving along the way. I haven't checked out the new "Five Oh", but I'm glad to see Ford is finally increasing the displacement of their small blocks. For years GM had the LS series engines, (which were basically SBFs) beginning with the LS1 in the 1998-2002 F-Bodies that was a force to be reckoned with. Ford couldn't compete with their torqueless 4.6Ls. The only good 4.6 V8 in my opinion was in the 2003-2004 Cobras with the Eaton blower strapped on top of it. The boost more than made up for the lack of displacement..

Speaking of boost, it's great to see Ford finally going back to turbochargers. The Mustang SVO was a hell of a car in its time and I can't believe it took them this long to get back to considering a turbocharged gasoline engine for a passenger car. The new "EcoBoost" twin turbo V6 for the Taurus SHO should prove to be one helluva power plant should it actually be produced. Variable vane turbos and direct injection are the future of power and efficiency in a single package until a true "green" alternative comes along.

Off my soapbox now...

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, my car has 2.73's and does 80 in second, too....It also gets great gas mileage. Interstate traveling with the cruise on gets 25+.

Lucraft

Cadet

Not bad for 1960s small block technology with a set of truck heads on top, huh? :D

My first Fox body.. an '89 Coupe, was the same color as your '90. It was a street/strip car with a 351W Sportsman block (basically a 1994 Lightning shortblock), TFS Street Heat heads (the old school iron ones.. remember those?), Victor Jr. intake and a Holley 750DP tuned too rich with a Tremec 3550 behind it. Went 11.9s on ET Streets and was my daily driver for almost a year in high school. Had lots of fun in that car... miss it every time I see a Coupe..

olred.jpg

/threadjack over

Yep, my car has 2.73's and does 80 in second, too....It also gets great gas mileage. Interstate traveling with the cruise on gets 25+.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

I've owned 8 Mustangs over the years, including a 1984 SVO, purchased new and a 2001 Bullitt Mustang, also new. The Bullitt was my last Mustang though. I still like the cars, but $45,000 for a Mustang GT is just way over the top IMO. Even the 6-bangers go for $37,000 around here.

Lucraft

Cadet

An '84 SVO.. awesome. Must have been fun laying the smackdown on the anemic carbureted 5.0's of the time. I had a 4-banger '89 Coupe that I was going to swap a slightly built TurboCoupe engine into (Esslinger worked head, T3/T4 hybrid turbo, etc) but ended up getting screwed on the engine so I scrapped the project and gave the rolling chassis to a friend. Someday I'll have one of those 2.3 Turbo Ford tractor engines in an unsuspecting looking Coupe.. they don't sound like much until the turbo spools and they leave you in the tire smoke.. and even then they sound like a tractor! :D

I have to agree with you.. the new Stangs just aren't worth the coin IMO. I'd much rather invest in a '93 Cobra or Fox body Saleen or SVO.. something that will appreciate and isn't a "dime-a-dozen" Mustang. It's funny.. the prices on '98-'02 Camaros and Firebirds has come down so much, especially with the new Camaro on the market.. you can pick up a low mileage '01 SS Camaro 6spd fully optioned for under 10k. And with the LS1, you're starting off with a great power plant. Heads/Cam/Intake/Exhaust/Tune and you're making 500 RWHP on pump gas with ease. They seem to be becoming the new Fox Body of this decade, only with many fewer produced. For now, though, the absolute cheapest drap strip platform is still a $1000 5.0 Fox body with an upgraded fuel pump, bigger injectors and a 200 shot.. :eek: ;)

Talking cars on a boat forum... I need to go to bed...

I've owned 8 Mustangs over the years, including a 1984 SVO, purchased new and a 2001 Bullitt Mustang, also new. The Bullitt was my last Mustang though. I still like the cars, but $45,000 for a Mustang GT is just way over the top IMO. Even the 6-bangers go for $37,000 around here.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I agree that the cars are way over priced. My 1990 stickered for 14-something. After a $1000 rebate, I paid $12,100.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

He picked up his 2011 GT for $33,xxx which was right at invoice.. No trade in.. Not that would ever spend that much on a car though! I think my record is around $16,000. :)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

I paid $26k for my new 2001 Bullitt Mustang and that's the most I've ever paid for a car.

I wish I had all the money I fizzed away on cars, boats, motorcycles and RVs over the years. I could buy SEVERAL houses! LOL :eek:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Beautiful Coupe!! Just remember, horsepower sells cars; torque wins races.
I just want to clarify something because I am on a ludicrous crusade to rid the world of inaccurate torque statements. I'll go away and shut my trap if we could more correctly say:

Horsepower sells cars, and more Torque makes more Horsepower.

To continually minimise horsepower when that is what is achieved with more torque makes me CRAZY!!!! Torque makes the world go around, Horsepower makes the world go around faster i.e. NOTHING MATTERS WITHOUT RPM, AND WITH RPM, TORQUE GETS YOU HORSEPOWER. You may now return to your regularly scheduled rule of thumb programming . . .