1994 Nissan Maxima a/c blower problem

Nandy

Commander
The blower only works on high. If I set it to any other level and the vents are open I can feel the cool air coming in so i know the compressor still works. However, I do not have an schematic of the a/c system so I dont know what to expect. Do this blower use a voltage/current regulator to control the speed? Or does it use multiple taps or resistors to control the speed? I just want to have an idea of what am I going to encounter. The switch seems to be ok. It is a hefty one so I am inclined to believe the blower is either controlled by resistors or tapping of the blower. I haven't find any blow fuse. The ac fuse is ok.
The cruise control does not work either but that will be a separate thread. The vehicle was bought that way and there is not info from the previous owner as to what could had happen.

Thanks!

Xcusme

Commander
Re: 1994 Nissan Maxima a/c blower problem

Since the blower only works on High, the fan motor speed control is bypassing the internal resistors for the other speeds. Different speeds have their own resistors ( or different PCB trace widths ) . Most speed modules can have a internal fusible link too. The speed control module is usually in the air stream to assist in the cooling of the resistors and near the downstream flow of air, i.e. near the fan motor, in the plenum.

Nandy

Commander

Thanks! I will check if any of these autoparts might have the resistors and then open the vehicle...

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Deifnately the blower motor resistor (aka: reiostat). Located in the passenger side kickwell (right about where the passengers left foot would rest). Its a rectangular shaped plug. Unplug it, unscrew the resistor and replace. Easy.

Nandy

Commander

Nobody has that resistor. It will have to be a special order and the cheapest place they got it for $26.99. I have not taken it out yet, I will try tomorrow. Anyone knows what is the value on that resistor? I just want to check with my voltmeter before I order. Much electronics parts cannot be returned. I bet is open, but knowing a value would be great.

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No values are given to test that resistor. Only a continuity test. It should look bad though if it has failed (burned or some signs of heat). OEM lists it for 22 bucks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

That's a cheap repair compared to some cars..... common too.

Nandy

Commander

I was looking at some diagrams that I found and it shows a fuse in line. The only 2 common points to failure is the last resistor for speed 3 and a fuse. If both of those were ok then I should have speed 3 working, at least. I wonder if I could be so lucky than that fuse..... Nahhh, not me... LOL! I agree, cheap repair.

Nandy

Commander

I bypased the fuse and 3rd speed resistor. I know the 1 and 2nd resistor will hav e to deal with more wattage but hopefully it will last until we receive the new resistor. Thanks for all the help.

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

Nobody has that resistor. It will have to be a special order and the cheapest place they got it for $26.99. I have not taken it out yet, I will try tomorrow. Anyone knows what is the value on that resistor? I just want to check with my voltmeter before I order. Much electronics parts cannot be returned. I bet is open, but knowing a value would be great.

Find one at a junkyard.

Xcusme

Commander

I bypased the fuse and 3rd speed resistor. I know the 1 and 2nd resistor will hav e to deal with more wattage but hopefully it will last until we receive the new resistor. Thanks for all the help.

Do yourself a favor...replace the fuse, it's there for a reason.

Nandy

Commander

Do yourself a favor...replace the fuse, it's there for a reason.

I know they are there for a reason. It is impossible to replace with common tools and it dont matter anyway as we already replaced the resistors. But I appreciate you bring it up to my attention. If i thought we had have to keep it like that for a while I would have add a fuse to the ckt.

knight1103

Recruit

I just purchased a 1994 Nissan Maxima that is having the same problems with the blower motor only working on high. I have tried to follow the thread and problem solving but admit that I am a little lost. I have tried to replace the relay on the passanger side kick panel with an identical relay that I had "borrowed" from another system but to my dismay, it did not work. I can hear and feel the relay turning on for speed 4 but it does not ingage for anyother speed. The fusses in the panel are good. I was wondering were the other inline fuse was that people were taking about and if that could be the problem.
Any help would be greatfull. Thank you.:confused:

Xcusme

Commander

I know they are there for a reason. It is impossible to replace with common tools and it dont matter anyway as we already replaced the resistors. But I appreciate you bring it up to my attention. If i thought we had have to keep it like that for a while I would have add a fuse to the ckt.

Ahh gottcha, somehow I was thinking you removed an inline fuse already there or at the fuse panel..duuh. As I remember mine now, it had a looped PCB fuse in series with the main B+ supply. :rolleyes:

Nandy

Commander

Ahh gottcha, somehow I was thinking you removed an inline fuse already there or at the fuse panel..duuh. As I remember mine now, it had a looped PCB fuse in series with the main B+ supply. :rolleyes:

Yup! That is the one... I appreciate your warning about it, dont get me wrong. It would not be smart to run that way for long.

Nandy

Commander

Night, the resistor looks like a credit card and has a connector on it to plug the leads. It is inside your blower. To get access to it you need to get in the passenger side and look at the blower. There are I believe 4 cables going in the connector. You need to take the 2 screws out and it comes out of the blower. They have it inside the blower so it will cool down. If you were to hook the new resistor and operate the ac without the resistor being in the blower it would heat up so bad that i will go bad. If you are still having problems let me know and I will try to post a few pictures. I also google Nissan 94 maxima blower resistor and got a bunch of information.

knight1103

Recruit

Thank you for the info. I did some more research and have found the resistor and a replacement. Hopefully that is the problem. I also found a Forum that has a lot of great information for the Nissan Maxima line including model year 94.

Here is the link, hope people find it helpfull

http://www.nissanforums.com/j30-1989-1994-chassis/

cubs

Recruit

Night, the resistor looks like a credit card and has a connector on it to plug the leads. It is inside your blower. To get access to it you need to get in the passenger side and look at the blower. There are I believe 4 cables going in the connector. You need to take the 2 screws out and it comes out of the blower. They have it inside the blower so it will cool down. If you were to hook the new resistor and operate the ac without the resistor being in the blower it would heat up so bad that i will go bad. If you are still having problems let me know and I will try to post a few pictures. I also google Nissan 94 maxima blower resistor and got a bunch of information.

Can you please post picutes?

Nandy

Commander

The thread is over 3 years old, I dont have the car anymore.