Mark 58 available

Too Cycled

Cadet
I have found a 1958 Mercury Mark 58 that the gentleman is looking for $350 for in 'as is' condition.
I have not gone to see it but as is has been explained to me as containing all parts with good compression but not necessarily in running order.

Just looking for an opinion with respect to value and whether this motor is a reasonable choice to restore for a 2 stroke newbie.

Are these motors 'work horses' or 'too prone to problems'?

Thanks

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Mark 58 available

It's a decent price but maybe not the motor of choice to restore for a newbie. Parts aren't plentiful but they are good motor, 44ci, they were the motor of choice for racers. Wouldn't be one of John's motors would it?

coolguy147

Commander

try to haggle the price down to 50-150 dollarts.

350 non running is a no no.

Too Cycled

Cadet

A gentleman named Don in the Durham area. Seems to be quite the avid collector.

Anything I should know going in? There is also a Mark 10 in good order available for the same price.

Thanks

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Mark 58 is a solid motor. The main necessary tune-up parts are generally available - fuel pump kits, carb kits, waterpump impeller, timing belts, etc. If the motor is in basically good shape it is worth close to what the guy is asking - IF it comes with controls.

If you're looking for something to mess around with, the Mark 58 is a better starter motor than the Mark 10 - although they would be used in entirely different capacities. The Mark 10 is NOT a beginner's motor, requiring several specialty tools, a detailed manual, and a good vocabulary containing colorful words...

Too Cycled

Cadet

Thanks Chinewalker. Very helpful info. I have heard that the Mark 10 is very challenging due to linkage and specialty tools required so even though it is a more useful motor to me, I think the Mark 58 may be a more reasonable restore for a novice.

They also look real sweat when spit-n-polished.

Cheers

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Thanks Chinewalker. Very helpful info. I have heard that the Mark 10 is very challenging due to linkage and specialty tools required so even though it is a more useful motor to me, I think the Mark 58 may be a more reasonable restore for a novice.

They also look real sweat when spit-n-polished.

Cheers

It's the auto tranny that makes them difficult to work on. I find any of the merc's are a challenge over OMC, specialty tools is the reason, other than that I love my Merc's.

Too Cycled

Cadet

Thanks for the input guys ...

So, we ended up getting the M58 despite that it looked like it spent some seasons in the woods behind someones cottage. Full of pine needles and mud. Was also painted black via spray bomb.

Stainless wrap is near perfect.
Not much crap in the carbs, although one looks like it will need a float.

Some missing linkage for the choke assembly but I am making my own pieces to replace. Missing piston from the electric choke (that may be tough to find)

Compression is between 125 and 140 on all cylinders.
Spark on all 4 as well.

The only holdup in turning her over is missing gaskets for the compression fittings to the carbs.

Looking forward !