Fuel/Water Separator For Volvo 3.0

Zewbie

Cadet
I'd like to install a fuel/water separator on my 3.0 L but am wondering how I'm going to fit it and what I need to get. In looking through the forums I found this which looks decent, but I do not have a nice vertical wall to bolt the bracket to and it's quite cramped in that location. Hopefully this will give you an idea as to what I'm dealing with.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~zewskis4/fuelwater.JPG

My other question has to do with which unit. I was originally hoping to install one with a metal bowl on the bottom to easily drain it, but I think that's going to be too large. I also originally was going to go with a 10 micron but based on information from Sierra it looks like because the boat has a carburetor it should be a 21 micron unit. This site here on page 22 shows the offerings from Sierra.

I would love any input on this... mounting location and model.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel/Water Separator For Volvo 3.0

You can mount it anywhere in the bildge.Just make sure it's above the fuel tank.If it's below any leaks and it will siphon off any gas in the tank.
You can even mount it on the transom or on the seat post(in some boats).
You just have to add some hose.J

Zewbie

Cadet

Will adding hose to make it to the transom and back to the fuel pump cause problems or having it above the fuel pump? And will filter size play a role in flow restriction?
Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Will adding hose to make it to the transom and back to the fuel pump cause problems or having it above the fuel pump? And will filter size play a role in flow restriction?
Thanks!

It will work fine, it's done all the time.

Zewbie

Cadet

Thanks Don! And how about filtering ability where it's carbureted? Does it need to be 21 micron as opposed to 10 micron as shown in the Sierra catalog?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Like Don said, Location is optional,...
Micron size,..?? Smaller is Better... Efi, or Carb...

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

We use 10 micron Sierra filters on all 3 of our carb'd engines. Just $6 a piece.

Zewbie

Cadet

Thanks guys! Looks like it's gonna be a 10 micron filter and a length of hose.

fishrdan

Admiral

and a length of hose.

Make sure to get A1 marine rated fuel hose (the stuff that's $2-3/foot) and double clamp every hose connection with stainless steel hose clamps.