Throttle Cable Help Please

jaboatman

Cadet
I have a question and I hope some one can help me out. I just changed the throttle cable on my 55hp Chrysler Outboard model 557hd I believe and it works good but my throttle arm (as I belive it to be called the arm that goes down and hits the carb), it only goes down about half way. Should it go all the way down? Or is half way full throttle? I had to modify the conecting bracket on the motor side as the stock piece with the new cable streched it to hard and it would not shift back to neutral. I hope this makes sense to someone and they can help me please.

Thanks Again,

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Throttle Cable Help Please

You sure you have the right cable? Pictures always help.
You shouldn't have to modify anything to replace a cable.
Yes the arm should go all the way forward.
Take it all apart.Start again.J

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Look in the throat of the carburetor. At full throttle the throttle plate should be fully open (horizontal).

wickware

Lieutenant

jaboatman, is your linkage similar to my 1970 35 HP Chrysler? If so, there are plenty adjustments that could be the problems. Pics before you start or old pics are good to have in these situations. I have more pics of the motor closer related to control?s positions if they will help. If the batch will help, how are attachments added to PM?

Attachments

• Boat's 35 HP Control's In Start Position 2.JPG
    Boat's 35 HP Control's In Start Position 2.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2010 Cleaning Since 1985 But as needed Greasing (1).JPG
    2010 Cleaning Since 1985 But as needed Greasing (1).JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Here is the way the cable should be attached both at the engine and inside the single handle control box:

Attachments

• 103_6271.jpg
    103_6271.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 103_6276.jpg
    103_6276.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0

jaboatman

Cadet

Hey Guys

Thanks for the help sorry it took me so long to get back to you all, the cable I got is a yamaha oem generic acording to the guy at the boat store it "should work good and they always use them on Chryslers"? anyways when I use the spring loaded clip for the motor that is stock it make the cable extreamly tight and it will not shift into neutral though I do get full throttel arm movement if I disconect the shift cable. I don't know if I am connecting everything right or not. I was told I should not have to force them on they should just drop right in, is that right? My setup looks just like the controls shown by Frank thank you sir, and my engine had the screw on spring loaded clip thing shown in both posted engine pics thanks guys any ideas or help is much appreciated.

jaboatman

Cadet

Hey Guys

Me again I think I found the problem the conector on my throttle the brass looking arm thats move, I had mine backward making the cable force harder. I will turn it around and maybe that will work, Thanks Frank for posting pics you helped me out huge you are awesome.

wickware

Lieutenant

Please post a Pic or describe the part closer if it works as a future Ref. I?m not relating to ?the brass looking arm? Thanks! JOW

jaboatman

Cadet

Hey Guys

The piece that was backwards is actually the piece that hold the cable on the throttle control. It has two screws in it and the cable locks down into it by those two screws. It can be seen in the picture posted by Frank the piece on mine was backward they are two little tabs that the line nestles in, mine were faced the wrong way. The two tabs should face toward the front of the cable the part that moves mine faced backwards toward the cable sheve part. Once I flipped it around it worked on the first try go figure. Thanks guys.

jaboatman

Cadet

I wanted to add it is the piece right above the electric cords in the throttle control picture by Frank again it hold the cable down. It looks a little brassier in his picture than the other parts.