1997 90 HP Tilt/Trim problems

jamiechipper

Cadet
I have a 1997 90 HP Evinrude. I am able to use the tilt/trim at the motor, but not at the throttle. Is there a fuse that I am missing?

I have taken apart the throttle to see if the switch is bad for the tilt/trim and it appears to be fine.

However, there does not appear to be power to the wires going to the switch. If I try to connect the red and blue wires nothing happens.

Thanks in advance.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1997 90 HP Tilt/Trim problems

check the plugs on the motor, may be loose, or corroded.

jamiechipper

Cadet

The plugs appear to be fine. The motor starts without a problem. Thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Did you disconnect the plug coming out of the trim switch and see if you had 12 volts on the red wire. If you do take a jumper wire and go between red and blue and red and green and see what happens. If it now works you have a bad switch. If no 12 volts on the red wire you'll have to trouble shoot the system.

jamiechipper

Cadet

Thanks boobie and tashasdaddy. It does not appear to be the switch or the plugs. Jumping the cable does not, which rules out the switch.

Any other thoughts would be helpful.
Thanks!

jamiechipper

Cadet

tashasdaddy, maybe I misunderstood your comment about "check the plugs". I was assuming you meant the spark plugs, but are you referring to the wire plugs? If so, I have checked those as well. Are there any specific plugs I should be looking at?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

check the plugs on the motor, may be loose, or corroded.

he mentioned the motor cover switch works the unit and the switch at the throttle doesnt..

doesnt that rule out any direct connection to the trim motor???

bob

jamiechipper

Cadet

bob, that was my inference as well. Im guessing it has to do with the wires going directly from the throttle switch to the motor. however, i am not aware how to test the wires at the motor for the tilt/trim. any thoughts there?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Here is a link to the parts for the junction box. Any ideas if I can jump any of these wires to see if the problem resides here or if it resides from the throttle wire to the motor? Thanks!
http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=a2rtk63frps796l2hnmpn6hpj6&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

yeah the shop.evinrude.com page wont show the page you copied, it defaults back to the original page..

as for your switch..i am going to guess your problem lies from the button on your control handle on into the engine area to were the wires tie into the same wires FROM the motor cover switch...

my diagram shows the wires joing before they head to the trim sensor and the trim motor..

there is a connection in that path...maybe 2!! where the harness plugs into the control box leads.. and back at the motor where the pigtails all connect

the relays are working as is the trim motor...your issue lies in the throttle handle on back to the engine...

pull the connectors in the wiring harness and inspect the contacts( which I suspect now what tashasdaddy was speaking of)...also check the contacts at the switch in the handle...

good luck

bob