fish from bowrider?

pat8839

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys,
I am new to the boating scene-I recently purchased a 2006 Bayliner 195 bowrider. I love to fish and was wondering how many of you guys fish off of these type boats.
Do you use a trolling motor?
Thanks!

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: fish from bowrider?

I've run across some nice projects of folks installing TM and casting decks on bowriders. If I have links on home PC, I'll try to get them to you.

I looked at doing similar but decided to trade boats to a more "fishy" boat instead and bought a bay boat. We also wanted to start taking boat to coastal GA and I figured with raw water cooling and painted steel trailer taking our Glastron GX205 would've meant a quick death for manifolds and trailer.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Pat, I have fished for years off my BR, in the bay and ocean. I find it works very well.

We do not use trolling motors, since they would ineffective in the oceran, and marginal in the bay.

sasto

Captain

The Admiral and I caught 3 Tarpon over 30# last weekend onboard a 2 year old 23' Chaparral loaded with upholstery. :) Once trolled with a 43' Black Thunder go fast. Neither had a rod holder. I figure as long as I can land a fish on the stern of any vessel....I will fish off it....if allowed. Enjoy!

What kind of fishin 'ya gonna be doin' ?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Earlier this month, 2 sailors on the back of a destroyer (docked) caught 6 keeper stripers, from the deck 30' above the water. Moral: You can fish from anything!

But the down-side of many bowriders is that the "cockpit" area is crowded already, with no room for a fish box and a bait cooler, rods and tackle, net plus other gear. But you can work around it. Just don't take as many people as you might for just riding around.

One approach is to make the bow one platform, conceptually by laying a piece of plywood across the "knee hole." You then have an open platform area in the bow, and the open area in the stern (if you have an OB).

A lot depends on how your particular boat is outfitted. You want room to move around and to stand up, so it's great if you can remove cushions, side padding, back to back seats, etc. Some consoles are minimal and open (good) and some are like wrap-around (bad).

Growing up we had 2 16' starcraft aluminum bow riders. the cushions on the front seat area were not attached, so we left them home for fishing. Consoles were basic. used to go way out in the mouth of the bay in them trolling for big blues.

I'm not one for pedestal seats, but I think that's a salt water thing. Anyway, you definitely don't need them, even if most of the "fishing" boats in your area have them.

It's good to be able to stand and drive, or sit up on the seat back.

Yes you can use an electric trolling motor in the bay; they are deadly for working bridge pilings and edges, shallow bays, etc. They can be hard to mount on many bow riders or boats with a high bow design, though. The friend of mine who swears by them holds the world (that's WORLD) record for striped bass on a fly rod. However, few people use them, and I don't think they'd be much good for straight line trolling; your OB does fine for that, or a kicker.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

My boat has a sun deck on the back. When I fish from it, I plan to cover that with a canvas tarp, as to not hurt any vinyl.

pat8839

Petty Officer 1st Class

I live in Jacksonville, Fl and would be doing some fishing in the intracoastals and the St. Johns River.
I have zero experience in open water and don't see my boat as an ocean goer. My boat is not a shallow water type boat so I don't know how much creek fishing I can do. I used to shore fish a lot but have almost zero experience fishing from a boat.

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can fish from any kind of boat. In fact, some fishing boats might be worse for a particular type of fishing than your bowrider, since most are oriented towards a particular type of fishing. I think that it boils down to how often are you going to be doing it, and how serious are you about it. One issue is the draft of the boat... you likely can't get into as shallow of water as a bass boat or skiff. Another issue is the comfort factor of standing on a fishing platform or sitting in a fishing chair. And then the other thing that comes to mind is the convenience factors that dedicated fishing boats usually have... trolling motor mounts, fish finders, live well, rod and tackle storage, etc. If you just want to drop a line in the water in the middle of the lake and such, then why not. If you want to work back in some shallow cove, maybe not. This is why I bought a fish and ski type boat... I wanted a bass boat and I wanted a bowrider/ski boat... so this works out to be a "best of both worlds" scenario.

pat8839

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with ya convergent. My draft is NOT shallow and I sure don't have livewells and that sort of thing-but that's ok. I have been looking at people building a way to mount a trolling motor to the bow of their bowrider. Seems they all need that bracket that mounts directly to the hull. I have a 55lb transom mount trolling motor from an old jon boat that I had but I am sure there's no way to get that to work on my bayliner.
I won't be hardcore fishing but would like to go every now and then.

cribber

Lieutenant

My 2008 Glastron GT-185 had a ski/fish option that I could have ordered. That would have added I fishing seat in the bow, a trolling motor, and two live wells. Not exactly sure where the put to live wells. I visit to the local marine dealer should prove benificial to see how a fish/ski package is configured.

Take a look at this thread (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=292511) It has a great design for a bow fishing deck as well as a trolling motor mount. I am using the bow design for my Sunbird (already have the cardboard form done) and planning to mount a Motorguide 55 hand control to the bow with the removable mount found here on iboats. Will be sure to post pictures when complete.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Bayliner 185 Bowrider and fish off the stern. No problems. Will be in the raritan bay next year with it fishing as well.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

also, for occasional and casual fishing like you describe, you can get along fine without a lot of the toys, such as livewells or fish finders. However, the latter is good to have for recreational use as well.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Take a look at this thread (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=292511) It has a great design for a bow fishing deck as well as a trolling motor mount. I am using the bow design for my Sunbird (already have the cardboard form done) and planning to mount a Motorguide 55 hand control to the bow with the removable mount found here on iboats. Will be sure to post pictures when complete.

yep that's what I was gonna show you...

G$ beat me to it...

MRS

Commander

I think we only have not fished out of the boat maybe two times it has been out.
Calm-Havasu.jpg

:)

pat8839

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the advice guys! I hear the fishing is doing really well here right so, we shall see!

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have a Chaparral and it is hands down the worst boat I have ever tried fishing off. I can barely reach the water and the kids can't reach it at all so can't get the work dirt off their hands. Plus a hook to the upholstery would likely make me faint. At least in my boat it just isn't practical.