Solas HR Titan 4 review

vistacruiser

Cadet
Hi folks,
I have benefited from the many reviews of props read on this forum, so I would like to make my own contribution to the pool of knowledge.

Nothing scientific here, just my own observations of quality, performance and handling.

The Solas model 2553-141-19 prop is a stainless 4 blade, 14 1/8 X 19 pitch, with high polished finish and high rake design. It has a conventional pressed in hub and is sized to fit OMC 90 to 300 hp with the large gearcase.
My first impression was that the blades are quite thin at the leading edge, with a considerable amount of cupping on the trailing edge. It does not have vent holes for exhaust. I could hardly wait to try it out on my boat.

My rig is a 1990 Glastron 200 Futura with a 1990 Johnson GT 200 outboard. The boat is a large bowrider with room for 9 passengers. It is a fairly heavy boat and I have set it up with a manual jackplate with 6 in. of setback to help in lifting the bow.
I like to tow 2 tubes, cruise distances without wasting fuel and occasionally open her up for a blast across the water.

I have tried 4 other props from 17 to 22" in pitch with some good and some disappointing results. This one tops them all and could be a do-it-all wheel for my rig.
Before taking it out I raised the motor 1" from my previous aluminum prop setting, this new setting put the cavitation plate 1.5" above the running surface of the hull at zero trim, and proved a very good setting for this prop.

The holeshot is very good, coming on plane with little effort at most throttle settings. Not the "jump out" I get with the 17" 4 blade, but more than adequate for tubing. Handling was the best of any prop I've tried, I could not upset this prop with any reasonable maneuver, very tight turns are possible without slippage at normal trim levels and the boat seems to lift more over all. Even my wife, who was riding beside me, commented that the ride was better. When going for top speed I kept raising until full trim was reached and still no slip in straight line. I can not do that with any other prop, they will begin to slip at about 3/4 trim. When I did get slip from over trimming, like in turns or hard acceleration from low speed, it cleared itself in reasonable time and was not a problem. As you would expect, this heavy boat benefits from more trim, and this is the first prop I've tried that delivers enough bow lift to make a difference.

MPH and RPM, going by my speedo, which actually reads very close to my gps if not a bit low, I'm seeing 25 mph @3000, 30 mph @3300 and a top of 52 mph @5700, right where I want rpm to be. Now I do have other props that will push as fast, but none have all the handling qualities of the HR Titan 4. It seems that no matter what I do, this prop works.

Brad

vistacruiser

Cadet
Re: Solas HR Titan 4 review

Hi Trend,

I checked your review also before deciding on this prop.

What actually got me "off the fence" about buying yet another prop was a call I made to a custom prop shop regarding possible mods to a 22" pitch OMC Raker which turned out to be too aggressive for my tub. The prop guy was interested in helping me and said he could reduce the pitch to a 20". But when I told him I was considering the Solas 4 blade he agreed that it would be a better choice, and went on to say he sells modified Solas props to racers, but a stock one would be fine for my application.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Thats great, solas is proving to have some of the best designs in props these past few years. And their pricing is great also.

There may be props that give you a better hole shot or a better top end speed, but none that I've seen can do as well through the whole range as these HR Titans.

vistacruiser

Cadet

Comparing HR Titan to another stainless prop.
I have had a chance to test a 14 1/2 x 20" pitch, 3 blade Raker, an older OMC version. This is a prop I have wanted to try for some time, since a while ago, I had purchased a new 22" Raker, for my GT200 Johnson/Glastron 20' BR, and it proved to be too agressive for the weight of this rig. So when my boat buddy pulled the 20" from a pile of rusty old stainless wheels he got from his bro in Fla., I grabbed it and quickly got it home to clean it up and buff it to a pitted LOW luster. Now it doesn't look like much as stainless props go, but it's blades are true with only a bit of leading edge damage on one blade.
So first time out with it was on Lake Michigan and the Milwaukee river. Conditions were rougher than I like that day out on the water, so speeds were mostly under 30 mph, the river is all no-wake so no place for the Raker to stand out. Next time out was on a large, 7350 acre, very deep inland body called Big Green Lake. Again the conditions were a bit rough for my passengers in the big bow rider, with wind and a lot of wakes, waves average about 2 feet. I tried to stay around 25-35 mph for my passengers comfort, with a couple wide open blasts to around 50 or so, just to get a feel for the Raker at speed.
After a good work out with the 20" Raker, I found a shallow bay and replaced it with the Solas 14 1/8 x 19" HR Titan 4, the subject of this review. I have concluded that even in the correct pitch, the Raker is the wrong prop on MY rig, especially in rough water where speeds need to be lower. At top speed these two props are comparable, with the Raker may be getting the edge by a mile or two per hour. Now keep in mind, this boat weighs probably 2700 rigged and ready, plus passengers, and I'm pretty sure thats not what the designers intended for the Raker. But thats where the Solas HR Titan 4 really separates itself from a high perf 3 blade. Getting on plane effortlessly, staying on plane and cruising at low speeds, great for towing tubes, staying hooked up in rough water or with lots of trim, does well at no-wake speed and gives up only a little at the top. On my boat, the 20" Raker, while it is a lot better than the 22" Raker, still doesn't work well below about 35 mph, so there is no way I'm giving up my HR 4.

vistacruiser

Cadet

I just returned from Munising, (upper) MI where I had 7 adult passengers out on Lake Superior in some very favorable conditions. The Solas Titan HR4 is still a winner, and my favorite prop on my 20' outboard rig.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

You mention trying "several props" what were the other props you tried ?

vistacruiser

Cadet

You mention trying "several props" what were the other props you tried ?
Slip Away, so sorry for not replying sooner. To answer, let me first say that the Solas Titan HR4 was the only SS 4blade I have tried, so no apples to apples comparisons yet.

Other SS props I've tried were two OMC Raker 3 blades, a 14.5x20 and 14.5x22. Those two were just not meant for a heavy boat like mine, and were no fun to use at low speeds. The Rakers have exhaust ports which allow them to slip on take-off so rpm's climb fast. That's probably why they aren't the best for my rig, I need to stay hooked-up. I'd like to try plugging the exhaust ports on the 20 Raker, it may turn out to be a decent cruising wheel, worth a try.

A Solas alum Amita 4 blade, 17 pitch. That prop is phenomenal at low speeds and the boat just jumps up on plane, great wheel for towing. Top speed about 48 mph at 6200 rpm. Fun prop until you want to cruise some where.

And of course the one that came with the boat, a stock alum 21 pitch 3 blade. Which really isn't all that bad. I use it when I'm not sure if it's safe to run a nice SS prop.

Thanks,

Last edited: