470 MerCruiser

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class
I apologize, I am a new member and posted this message in the wrong area previously... Basically, I just got a '78 century with a Mercruiser 470. If anyone has or can direct me to where I can get some manuals on the engine or the stern drive, I would be greatly appreciative. I consider myself advanced with mechanics and have gotten the engine to where it is ready to fire up (if the boat didn't have electrical issues) but manuals would be helpful with other small issues I question. Thanks for any help, and I am looking forward to being part of the forum community here! -Dan

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: 470 MerCruiser

This link is for the 85 to 89 470's. I dont know of another one but this may help.
You can get a Soloc at NAPA and it covers the drive also, for 35 bucks.
Dont listen to the bla, bla, bla, about the 470 or Seloc. I have used both with great success.

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow I thought I was gonna be the only one here with a 470, everyone else seems to hate them! I am already impressed with mine firing right up after being dead for years...And it doesn't leak any coolant from the cam seal. My gauge is showing only 84 hours on it so I guess it still has a lot of life left. I need to change spark plugs, can I just go to an auto parts store and get plugs for a Ford 460 or are they different plugs? My 470 is from '78 - has the 4" exchanger...is there anything else I should replace besides the obvious (hoses, solenoids, etc)? Any recommendations for a different carb? I have a 2G on it now but Im not fond of them...Thanks in advance for any advice!-----Dani

I have the newer version of the 470, the 3.7. Same thing. If you have the factory stator and voltage regulator, keep an eye on the volts gauge. The regulator is a known problem for these misfits, and is expensive to replace. Voltage will be very high when they go. I did it once when I first got the boat, now (this past spring) 8-years later, the new one has crapped out.

The best fix is a belt driven delco marine alternator. I made my own brackets I copied off one for sale on ebay but there is another site dedicated to the 470. breezeworks.net, they have a bolt in conversion kit with necessary wiring and belt for under $300.00.

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ah yes, the alternator conversion. Forgot about that! Does this use the 3-wire or the 1 wire? Thank you so much for your replies! -----Dani B.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to the 470 group. If you buy an altenator from Breezeworks, it will be a 3 wire. I've had mine about a year and it solved a whole host of problems.

Keep posting your questions, there are a bunch of 470 owners hear and when you get past the cooling issues and the lawn mower magneto Mercury called an altenator, you'll find a great power package in the 470.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Wow I thought I was gonna be the only one here with a 470, everyone else seems to hate them! I am already impressed with mine firing right up after being dead for years...I need to change spark plugs, can I just go to an auto parts store and get plugs for a Ford 460 or are they different plugs?

Welcome Dani!

Don't worry about the haters here. We all hate something. At least the boat isn't a Bayliner, then you'd really be hearing it! LOL :D:D

As for the spark plugs, pull one, and go into your local NAPA store. They'll have what you need, and it won't be marine store pricing.

As for (just about) everything else you may replace, get the proper MARINE replacement (even things like basic wires). Automotive parts aren't made to withstand the rigors of a marine environment, and the longevity of the marine part will outweigh the savings of the automotive version.

A boat engine, which is designed to take you places you can't walk back from, should be treated as a piece of life-saving equipment, and not just a people mover. You don't want to break down offshore, or in the middle of a storm, or during a tidal change, or at dusk when you weren't planning on being out at night, or when you get to the ramp, and your day of boating is ruined because of an engine failure. The list goes on forever. Boating is not a cheap hobby, and as such, be prepared to spend extra on the 'marine tax' on items that look jusr like what you put in your car but cost twice (or more) as much. There are tons of ways to save the $$$, but don't go cheap.

Other then that... enjoy the world of boating! (After you take a safe boater's course). ;)

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Ah yes, the alternator conversion. Forgot about that! Does this use the 3-wire or the 1 wire? Thank you so much for your replies! -----Dani B.

Yeah the breezeworks kit is pretty nice. Don't need to worry about it till the old one goes out. You might want to do a compression check and coolant system pressure check just to make sure everything is OK (you can borrow the tools form Autozone for free). If you know your way around an engine you should be fine. 84 hours, holy molly!!! You should be good for 20 years:D. The stock 2bbl carb is just fine, may need a rebuild after all these years. Good luck.