175 Mercury Blackmax Thermostats

Pat68

Recruit
Hello All new to this forum and i got a question,I just purchase3d a boat with a 175 1991 blackmax on it replaced the voltage regulator and water pump and redid carbs got it running really good with the exception of the cooling stream it semms to be a bit weak to me, i took out the thermostats and it seems to be alot better, Myu question is this would it be alrite to run the motor without the thermostats Thanks Pat

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 175 Mercury Blackmax Thermostats

You can but it won't run near as efficient. The motor needs to be at proper temperature to thoroughly combust the fuel.

Ed R

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ed r here! motor needs thermostats! For proper idle, warm up, and block pressure. Your motor will show very little water comming out of motor when cold. Once stats open, (stream will increase).

j_martin

Admiral

Ed r here! motor needs thermostats! For proper idle, warm up, and block pressure. Your motor will show very little water comming out of motor when cold. Once stats open, (stream will increase).

That's because all the water for the pee stream has to come through the thermostats.

The motor won't pee much if at all cold. The "telltale" is almost useless except the routine is to look over your shoulder to see if it's peeing before you launch a full out blast off in the bass boat, to avoid a cold seizure.

hope it helps
John

Kamcoman

Cadet

If your t-stats don't have a relief hole to let some water bypass them, drill a 5/64" hole in the top of each t-stat just inside the seal. Don't hit the center with the drill bit. Be sure the t-stat will still open properly (put in pan of hot water to test). Reinstall t-stats and you will have a little more water from the telltale but the motor will still warm up for efficient operation.

Keith :D