First post: what to do with old boat...IT'S GONE GONE GONE!!!

Jenn by the Sea

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. I have read some of what's here and you look like a knowledgable group so here goes. I have inherited or better yet got stuck with an old boat. It doesn't look too bad but hasn't run in a while and is sitting in my driveway on a trailer. My knowledge level for boats is like about 2 out of 10. I can drive one and been out a lot and kind of mechanical around the house but this is beyond me I'm sure. I would like a usable boat but don't want something I have to put a lot of $$$ in. I'm thinking of selling it but have some title issues I think as well as who wants to buy a boat that doesn't run? Is it like old cars where you just call someone and they tow them to the junkyard? All I do know is it's a Renken 20 feet 1985. Is this worth anything? I will any questions with your help, sorry for the long post.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer
Re: First post: what to do with old boat

There are definitely organizations that will take your boat for a tax write off. Hard to give oyu advice on the rest without more specifics as far as motor, type of outdrive, etc. You will have to put some $$$ into it, especially if you can't do your own work. Best bet if you want to try to keep it is to get a mobile boat mechanic to take a look at it and give you an estimate of work needed.

You could also get more specific advice by posting what type of motor (can you pop the cover and look?) and outdrive (basically white or black?, any markings/.stickers?). What sort of condition is the interior, seats torn, etc. How about the trailer, need new tires or lights?

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

First of all, Welcome to iBoats!

Not a long post at all. Contains good information.

I'd say your first order of business would be to find a marine mechanic that can check it out for you. Maybe cost you $100 to $150. They will do a mechanical check of the engine, with compression readings, fluids, etc. Have them remove the drive (I asume it has a motor inside and the drive system through the back). In any case, take off the drive and review the bellows, gears, bearings, etc.

Could be fixable for under a $1,000, or may be trash and cost over $5,000. Best thing is your $150 will be well worth knowing from an expert. Plus, not too many people will be willing to buy a boat they (and you) know nothing about. Best for you to know what is up with the boat.

Have it checked out and let us know what they find. Pictures are always good, too.

Good luck!

:cool:

Jenn by the Sea

Seaman Apprentice

We used this boat briefly before we got our 2nd boat. My ex now has the nice boat, a Sea Ray and I'm stuck with this. It's titled in both our names so I'm not sure about selling it or giving it away, I will check into that locally. One thing for some reason there's a hole cut in the floor, I put a cover over the boat a while back, I'm afraid of rain getting in there. The outdrive is black, I haven't tried to open the motor cover yet. Why would he cut a hole in the floor? I wish I paid more attention when he worked on it :(

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Jenn and Welcome POTENTIALLY that could be a nice boat But as Schmidty said you have to determine what condition its in, and what power plant and drive you are working with. Where is the boat? like city, state. You might be able to get one of us self proclaimed experts on everything that has to do with boats come take a look at it for you and give you some direction, or a starting point. Good luck with it...:D

Jenn by the Sea

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Rob. Hey that looks like a nice boat in your pic...wanna trade? lol
That's a great idea, there are several marinas around here I can make some calls.
Really I never wanted this boat here, I've been trying to get him to move it out but finally he just said keep it and do whatever you want with it. I was thinking it's probably just junk, that's why he won't move it but I suppose it's worth $150 to have it checked out.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Doesn't sound like your too excited about it. If you don't want it no amount of money will fix that. You can't fix it and sell it and make a profit ( ok maybe occasionally) So just save your $150.00 and help out a charity. Go find you a boat you'll be happy with and proud of.

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply Rob. Hey that looks like a nice boat in your pic...wanna trade? lol
That's a great idea, there are several marinas around here I can make some calls.
Really I never wanted this boat here, I've been trying to get him to move it out but finally he just said keep it and do whatever you want with it. I was thinking it's probably just junk, that's why he won't move it but I suppose it's worth $150 to have it checked out.

Keep in mind, if you live where the climate gets REALLY cold, you'll want to have it winterized within a month or so (some areas already did their winterizing). Depending where you live, you may have a little time.

Paul has a pretty good thought. You might be able to save the initial money and have one of the "experts" on here give an initial look. Post your city, not address, and see who might be nearby or close enough. Just a thought :)

Good luck!
:cool:

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

some good pix would help
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=410147

this link will tell you how to post if you need it

sounds like you already have a good idea of where you stand. a boat that old not running is't worth much. you can easily spend way more getting it running than what you can recover.

Jenn by the Sea

Seaman Apprentice

I live in Florida so I don't think I need to make any preparations for that. The prospect of putting a lot of $$$ into this boat doesn't excite me. However, boating has been a big part of my life at times and the idea of having a good runnning boat is appealing to me...

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

First off you need to get a new divorce lawyer...how did he get the Sea Ray for gods sake! All kidding aside the advice above is pretty good. Its only a decision you can make...if you dont mind spending the $150 for an evaluation I'd go for it as like they said you'll never be able to sell it not knowing anything about its condition. If you dont want to even spend the $150 than donate it as mentioned. As far as the hole in the floor is it round or a big hacking square hole. Maybe somebody needed to get at the fuel tank for some reason for inspection maybe..... Depending on what type of hole we are talking about you should be able to englarge it to fit an access door and cover it pretty nicely.

sasto

Captain

Plenty of boaters in FL to look at it. For donation... please go to Chapmans.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Hi. I have read some of what's here and you look like a knowledgable group so here goes. I have inherited or better yet got stuck with an old boat. It doesn't look too bad but hasn't run in a while and is sitting in my driveway on a trailer. My knowledge level for boats is like about 2 out of 10. I can drive one and been out a lot and kind of mechanical around the house but this is beyond me I'm sure. I would like a usable boat but don't want something I have to put a lot of $$$ in. I'm thinking of selling it but have some title issues I think as well as who wants to buy a boat that doesn't run? Is it like old cars where you just call someone and they tow them to the junkyard? All I do know is it's a Renken 20 feet 1985. Is this worth anything? I will any questions with your help, sorry for the long post.

If you have a twenty five year old twenty foot boat that doesn't run and has a hole in the deck, you don't have much. Even if you get it running, you will still have a twenty five year old boat that's going to give you constant problems.

A boat is different from a car in that if it breaks down, you can't get out and walk home. :rolleyes:

You can invest in the services of a mechanic to give you a cost to put it in good shape, then decide if you want to have it fixed, sell it, or give it away. A web search may find similar boats for sale in running condition. This will give you an idea of its worth.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

As for donating, if it's junk, please don't burden the charities. you are not doing a good deed that way. and the tax write-off dodge has been fixed: your write-off is not the value you assign, or even the "blue book" but the actual amount the charity gets from the sale--in your case, that might be $150.

Poke around craigslist and other classifieds in major Florida cities and get an idea of how many 25 year old beat up I/O bowriders are free or almost for the taking.

You don't want a project. There are a lot of basic boats you can have fun with, used and for sale. Your best bet would be to buy from someone reliable who is either moving up, or retiring from boating (but the latter could be neglected).

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hows the trailer?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Not sure if this is the case in Florida(I hate you) but here in Colorado you can donate your vehicle to a fire department and they give you a tax receipt for a tax deduction of the fair sale value(you decide the amount), Then they use it for training purposes(not pretty). Seems to me that could be more profitable in your situation.

I really don't hate you for living in a state where you can boat all year but were not gonna be friendly during the winter!

Good Luck!!

1960vw

Seaman

I would put it on Craigslist as mentioned. Cheap price like 2 to 300 dollars. Who knows, it just might sell quick! Somebody might be able to use parts off of it or even just the trailer. At least it will be off of your hands !!!!

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

Charity is unlikely to take a 25 year old boat of unknown condition. After all, they will want to sell it without spending a lot of money on it.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

spend the $150 or so to have a professional assesment- you may get lucky! ex could have been a dunce.
if no charity wants it put a FREE ad out for a FREE boat and a FREE BOAT sign on it- it will go away.. good luck:cool:

skargo

Banned

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's junk!