I'm crushed, snap-on 1/4" rachet broke, it's vintage

KRS

Banned
Afternoon all,

I'm honestly quite disappointed and sad, a vintage snap-on Midget GM-70M 1/4" rachet has stopped functioning properly. Got this from my wife's grandfather. I've used it on and off, but nothing serious.

Today while removing some small bolts from a mini-motorcycle chain cover, the rachet mechanism stopped working.

The small lever for On or Off won't stay put, it'll creep to the center and the rachet will no longer lock-up.

I see two small screwheads on the back of the tool, is this serviceable or is it past hope?

Thanks all,

KRS

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I'm crushed, snap-on 1/4" rachet broke, it's vintage

i don't know for sure but i would bet it's rebuildable like most modern ratchets. google search time.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Locate a Snap -on dealer he will hook you up with the rebuild kit and it's free

KRS

Banned

Just called snap-on, they said it was made in '58 and repair kit no longer available....

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

it may be a nice "static" display piece from now on.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Rip it apart, clean it and put a little lithium grease in it. Works most every time as long as the spring hasn't snapped. They get dry and the spring and tangs get stuck. Really you have nothing to lose at this point!

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

Just called snap-on, they said it was made in '58 and repair kit no longer available....

i started buying snap on in 75 and when i quit wrenching in 2000 had almost all S O

the few times i had any thing obsolete it would be exchanged for the new counter part. as per the life time warranty
did the dealer refuse to warranty, or did you want to keep the piece for sentimental value?

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There is a spring and ball bearing that holds the pawl to one side or the other I'm guessing you have a problem with that.
The other thing is sometimes the teeth that have snapped of the ratchet drive will foul up the works in there. EITHER WAY take it apart and see whats going on, any good hardwarre store will have that spring it its broken after 50 years or you may be able to clean up the grease,crud, junk in there and make it work pretty good provided the pawl and ratchet drive are in ok shape.
You can find rebuild kits for those obsolete tools on ebay sometimes and those ratchets like that were made for a very long long time. I probably have a dozen of those old industry standards.
I paid $20 for the last rebuild kit I bought on ebay, worth ever penny.

dwco5051

Commander

I have a Snap-On 3/8" ratchet I bought used in 1956. The salesman had taken it in trade and put a rebuild kit in it and sold it to me for $7.00. The last time I had a kit put in the driver told me that the kits were no longer made but he happened to have one on the truck. The next time he said he would just exchange it for a new one. I am still using it on a regular basis hoping I eventually will get my seven bucks worth of use out of it.

KRS

Banned

Good advice; I'm getting setup for a photo-teardown.....

KRS

Banned

Removed the two screws, however I can't get the body apart.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Put the screws in the wrong way round and pull the plate off.
Maybe the edges are marred over preventing it from sliding out ?

KRS

Banned

Tried using the screws, still can't get it apart. Thinking about leaving the screws out and pushing grease into the small hole at the top of the rachet (I don't have a grease needle though), that should press the two halves apart. More of a mess to clean up, but it should help.

Any substitutes for a grease needle....?

KRS

KRS

Banned

Air gun couldn't force it apart.

Sprayed a bunch of deep creep in it to clean it out. Then blew air into it for a while.

Then sprayed white lithium grease into it several times and let that solidify (the little that it does solidify) and it appears to be working fine now.

Thank you for the input on this, I didn't want to replace this vintage tool, I like using it.

KRS

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Move the lever back and forth, the ratchet cam or a tooth may be holding it in.

puddle jumper

Captain

Its like losing a good friend when a trusted tool breaks. :(

CobiaXL

Banned

:D Newer tools feel better...Your local snap-on dealer or any garage that snap-on salesman frequents will give you a brand new one at no cost to you.He will need your old piece in return so he can get credit from snap on.No paperwork needed.....Gooodluck

dolluper

Captain

I give a couple of squirts of trannie fuild.. held in a vise then spin them around in each direction ...couple squirts each way.....it cleans them up real good....thats in the crack where I squirt it.....40years on the same ones