empty trailer parked on grass--jack it up?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
My sister keeps her boat trailer parked in the yard (weeds) with no boat on it; boat is on a lift. It hasn't moved in 6 months and probably won't for the winter.
Should she put it on blocks to protect the tires (a) from a flat spot and (b) from the ground dampness? Or being empty, does it matter? It's a single axle for a 19' boat.
I know she really ought to drive it around every couple of months or so for the bearings and tires, but not likely.
I store mine empty (dual axle for a 21') on a grass lot, but take the trailer out every 2-3 months; if I haven't hauled the boat, just to drive it up the road and back. reckon that's OK? I can't bear the thought of buying tires for a trailer I almost never use, and if I do, it's less than 10 miles in the city.
thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: empty trailer parked on grass--jack it up?

Ayuh,... It's the Sun, rather than grass or a lack of use that destroys tires....

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Second that, better yet pull them off and put them in the garage. What Bondo says...sun's a killer!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Agree, put them away inside somewhere out of the sun and leave the trailer on blocks till you need it.

Thundra

Seaman Apprentice

I cut out some pressure treated plywood I had laying around, to fit the wheel wells to keep the sun off the tires.

I also put some other scrap plywood under my tires as the trailer sits in the woods for the winter, to keep the tires as dry as possible, anything like that helps, even a little.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not to hijack but what about if the trailer is NOT empty and has a 3000lb glastron on it with snow in the forecast? Do you want to than block it and take the wheels off?

WIMUSKY

Staff member

korygrandy - Just cover them and put wood under the tires to keep them off the ground. Tires will weather check over a period of time at the spot where the ground meets the sidewall. Tires tend to sink a little while sitting on a soft surface.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Not to hijack but what about if the trailer is NOT empty and has a 3000lb glastron on it with snow in the forecast? Do you want to than block it and take the wheels off?

Yep that's what I do. Trailer sits on jackstands all winter, tires in garage.

Thundra

Seaman Apprentice

WIMUSKY, yes, you typed my answer.

Must be some reason new tires are stored indoors.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Must be some reason new tires are stored indoors.
Because if they are stored outside they will get stolen!

Seriously, a trailer sitting on its tires over the winter is not going to hurt them one darn bit, especially an empty trailer! Cover them from the sun is really the only thing that could possibly matter.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

WIMUSKY korygrandy - Just cover them and put wood under the tires to keep them off the ground. Tires will weather check over a period of time at the spot where the ground meets the sidewall. Tires tend to sink a little while sitting on a soft surface.

I'll find some cinderblocks on craigslist and find some room in the shed for the trailer tires. I have too many tires to store :eek:take up a lot of room as it is.

Thundra

Seaman Apprentice

It almost can't get any easier for me. Just back the trailer onto the plywood so that all 4 tires are on it.

Shove the plywood into the wheelwells and say goodnight for the winter.

Where is that easy-button?