What is this switch called?

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an 86 Dixie Super Skier and right behind the throttle is an electric switch. A friend accidentally knocked a wire loose from it today and it messed up twice since then but I don't know what it actually is. The switch is old and nasty so I'd like to replace it.

Attachments

• DSCF9445.jpg
    DSCF9445.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF9446.jpg
    DSCF9446.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF9447.jpg
    DSCF9447.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: What is this switch called?

Looks to be a neutral safety switch. Prevents starting the boat in gear by accident.

BTW, nice dash. The control looks like it could use a little grease while you have that panel off. A touch on the end of each cable, and oil the pivot points and grease any sliding parts. Those controls are expensive, a little grease will keep it working a long time.

sasto

Captain

If you want a second opinion........Mark appears to be correct.... Properly functionally... she will prevent you from starting your boat in gear...like your auto.

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks. I'll see what I can find. I assume most of the switches in this form function the same. So far I haven't found anything that looks exactly like this one but I guess as long as it has some kind of button that gets pushed in, it'll be good.

Thanks for mentioning the lube on the linkages and cables. I just got this boat. It's been pretty good so far but some things do need attention before they get bad.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If the switch really is bad (as opposed to a bad connection or switch pulled out of location) look at Radio Shack for a lever style switch with a small wheel on the lever. Might be a good replacement for the switch that is there.

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The switch is pretty good itself but it's got one funky connection that sandwiches a weird hook style wire. When I finally figured out how to mount that wire back in there, it didn't have a good hold. I'd rather have blade style connections.

I just ordered one that I believe will be perfect.

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well the switch that I ordered is exactly the same in every way except for the function. My original switch was closed in the neutral position and the new switch is closed everywhere except neutral.... What a load of crap and a serious safety issue! No website explains in what manner the switches operate and at $35 a piece, I would've expected a little better.

Any ideas other than fabricating a custom bracket?

rwidman

Lieutenant

If the switch really is bad (as opposed to a bad connection or switch pulled out of location) look at Radio Shack for a lever style switch with a small wheel on the lever. Might be a good replacement for the switch that is there.

If you're buying your boat electrical parts at Radio Shack, be sure to get a membership in TowBoatUS or SeaTow. And a fire extinguisher. :eek:

I spent many years as an electronic technician and I can tell you from personal experience, the quality is not there, even for normal use. Under conditions encountered on a boat - forget it.

Buy brand name marine electrical parts from a marine retailer.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Well the switch that I ordered is exactly the same in every way except for the function. My original switch was closed in the neutral position and the new switch is closed everywhere except neutral.... What a load of crap and a serious safety issue! No website explains in what manner the switches operate and at $35 a piece, I would've expected a little better.

Any ideas other than fabricating a custom bracket?

Buying the wrong switch and then trying to fabricate a bracket is not a good plan. Return the switch and exchange it for the correct switch.

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought the switch from a marine retailer. It is a marine neutral safety switch.

The issue I'm getting at is, I have no way of knowing what the "correct switch" is since there is no description on any website and my switch doesn't have any legible writing on it. iboats.com has two switches, both look identical and at roughly $35 a piece, finding the right switch can take weeks and costs hundreds of dollars.

rwidman

Lieutenant

I bought the switch from a marine retailer. It is a marine neutral safety switch.

The issue I'm getting at is, I have no way of knowing what the "correct switch" is since there is no description on any website and my switch doesn't have any legible writing on it. iboats.com has two switches, both look identical and at roughly $35 a piece, finding the right switch can take weeks and costs hundreds of dollars.

Post a link to the switches on iBoats.

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

These are the two switches on iboats. As far as I can tell, they're identical except for price. Even have the same part number.

http://www.iboats.com/NEUTRAL-SAFET...3326393--**********.248176033--view_id.252137

http://www.iboats.com/Neutral-Safet...3326393--**********.248176033--view_id.169342

Then there's this one from another site that is also made by Teleflex and looks the same but has a different part number. If I keep searching, I'll find more part numbers from Teleflex and some from other manufactures. All look the same, none have any kind of description.

http://www.reddenmarine.com/marine-...x-morse-305499/mt3-neutral-safety-switch.html

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Check for NOHC (normally open held closed). What you purchased is NCHO (normally closed, held open).

Hope this helps!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

What is needed is a switch that is "closed" (ie it makes a connection between the two wires) then when the lever is in the neutral position. If you have a switch that works, and it just doesn't mount right, I would position it where it works, mark and drill a new hole and bolt it on. All these switches are just flat slab style switches, so as long as the button pops out (usually the way they work) when in neutral, it will perform just fine. No sense in breaking the bank to fine the exact same replacement, when there are so many that will work if new holes are drilled. Also, a dab of epoxy will work to hold the switch if you don't want to drill or it won't work for any reason. Clean the surface of the control and switch, and apply the epoxy.

If all else fails, just connect the two wires together and be aware that the motor can start in gear. Of course there are obvious drawbacks to this method. The decision is yours.

rwidman

Lieutenant

These are the two switches on iboats. As far as I can tell, they're identical except for price. Even have the same part number.

http://www.iboats.com/NEUTRAL-SAFET...3326393--**********.248176033--view_id.252137

http://www.iboats.com/Neutral-Safet...3326393--**********.248176033--view_id.169342

Then there's this one from another site that is also made by Teleflex and looks the same but has a different part number. If I keep searching, I'll find more part numbers from Teleflex and some from other manufactures. All look the same, none have any kind of description.

http://www.reddenmarine.com/marine-...x-morse-305499/mt3-neutral-safety-switch.html

OK, that's good research. Write down the part numbers and then contact Teleflex at:
http://www.teleflexmarine.com/support/technical-support/

They should be able to help you get the correct switch.

BTW: Are there any identifying marks or numbers on the original switch? That might help.

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up just fabbing a circular piece of thick poly carbonate and mounted it in place of the original plastic piece that pushes the button in as it goes into gear. I just took some measurements of the original and basically swapped the lobes for the new piece so it was opposite of the original. Some careful work with a hole saw and a dremel and it works like a charm.

I was seriously debating directly connecting the wires together but I know I have friends pull me waterskiing and I didn't want an accident. I didn't want to drill into the throttle controls either because they're pretty expensive.