Channel Maintenance

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class
A marina I know of (name excluded) told me how much it costs them to have their channel dredged from the river channel to their marina opening. The opening to the marina is a narrow railroad underpass with height and width restrictions. I was not surprised at the amount it costs them (alot) and the frequency they had to have it done (8+/- years).

To save them some money (it may come in handy down the road), I came up with the idea of using a sort of cort nozzle to drive the prop wash downward, thus scowering the bottom to keep their channel open. It could be mounted to the deck and pivoted over the stern.

I recall seeing something similar to my idea on one of those Discovery type TV shows, where this large boat (small ship), had 2 elbow shaped devices (about the diameter of a 55 gal. drum). These were lowered (pivoted) of the stern and secured so as to be place directly in the path of the 2 prop washes. This system was used to wash away the sand/silt from over a ship wreck to expose the treasure via the prop wash.

The marina's boat would obviously have to be anchored well and moved as it progresses. I do not know what type of utility boat they have at the yard, but I'd think that it would not matter. A barge would be ideal with spuds (vertical beam type anchoring devices).

The river is tidal, brackish water with about an average 2' distance between tides and is slow moving. I guess it is 300' to 500' of channel to the river channel.

I'd like to get your comments, ideas or maybe even something that is manufactured for this. I plan to draw up structural plans for them.

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Channel Maintenance

It sounds like a good idea on the surface, but what is that going to do to the silting of the rest of the river? You would need to do it during an outgoing tide or you would silt up the whole marina. And if it was an outgoing tide, then you would be silting up the river ... what fish are spawning when you do it? How would you effect the river downstream to the delta (and the delta itself)?

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

The lakes in our area are heavily monitored as far as what can be dredged and as to the disposition of the spoil. It all has to be accounted for.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

There is a simpler way.
Just anchor a boat with the engine running and leave the engine running a few days.The turbulence caused by the propeller/s will stir up the silt and send it on its way

tommays

Admiral

That is NOT going to fly in the Long Island Sound area with all the attention it gets from runoff pollution and what it has done to shellfish

Trust me my friends company reclaimed Jacobson's Shipyard with the friends of the bay watching every move

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the responses.
I never thought to ask what happened to their spoils. I'd guess it was picked up and put somewhere else.

aspeck: This river has no delta. I didn't consider it effecting the fish population. I'd think it would be minimal if any.

Thanks again.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

any changes has an effect on the marine environment. that is one of the reasons for permits.

Drowned Rat

Captain

The prop wash and jet wash idea don't work, it's been tried. The only way to dredge a channel is to physically remove the debris and send it (usually via slurry line) somewhere else. The prop wash just moves the silt around, it never really goes anywhere.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, consider the idea squashed.
Thanks anywho.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

If the river has a current it will carry off the stirred up silt

PW2

Commander

If the river has a current it will carry off the stirred up silt

That is of course why they require environmental impact statements, as currents do carry deposited sediments away. It's the where "away" is that always gets in the way. River systems and shorelines are complex, and are constantly trying to "heal" themselves by moving sediments around.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

back in the dark ages we would hire a tug for 1/2 day. to blow out our channel. now when that thing got to blowing it blew everything.