Evinrude 9.5hp Sportwin 1964

QC_Rinker

Cadet
I bought a small fishing boat with a 1963 Evinrude 9.5hp Sportwin. So far, I have only been able to get the engine to run a very short time (10-15 seconds) with the choke on. The motor was in use and I am told by the previous owner that it used to purr like a kitten (and he had the carb redone recently). It had old gasoline in it, I have cleaned out the gas tank and added new...but no new luck. Where do I start with trouble shooting? And how many turns should the Lean/Rich need to get a rough start at adjusting it?

Thank you!

QC_Rinker

Cadet
Re: Evinrude 9.5hp Sportwin 1964

I did compression check the engine...65 pounds for both cylinders.

QC_Rinker

Cadet

Thank you...I did find the carb setting tips just after I asked, but the motor still only runs in extremely short bursts no matter where I put it...and with the choke on...doesn't run long enough to do any kind of adjusting, but I have moved it up and down from 1 and a half turns to see what happened (no noticeable change). :confused:

Rick.

Captain

For your own peace of mind I would redo the carb. cleaning. If it's dirty you'll never get it to run right. Your compression numbers are just fine IMO. Seems these 9.5's all have lower compression. They will run like a charm once you get things dialed in right. Best of luck. Rick.

QC_Rinker

Cadet

Thank you, Rick...I have a carb kit on the way...I was hoping new/clean fuel would do the trick, but I was afraid there may be buildup in the carb from the junk in the old fuel...going to look at some electrical parts (coil, condenser, points) also...hopefully I will have it going by spring...

Rick.

Captain

While your waiting for the kit I would also suggest you get new fuel lines from the tank to the carb. That way you have no concerns about the old rubber chaffing off and plugging your newly cleaned carb. Rick.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Definitely do that carb. when it only runs with the choke on it means it is not getting enough fuel in normal mode. And 65#'s is low but workable. And it might come up. Or you can try a decarb once it's running.

QC_Rinker

Cadet

What fuel lines do you recommend, Rick - is there a part number at iboats?

Thank you for the info...I already did replace the gas tank and the line from the tank to the motor...

Rick.

Captain

I just buy it at my local auto parts store. It is very common or at least I've never had any problem getting it. Making sure it is rated for ethanol fuel would be the only catch. Rick.