Which anode type to use? Mg Al Zn

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Alpha One Gen 1 with SS Prop trailered only used in freshwater 120 hours a season.

I recently purchased an aluminium anode kit and wanted to make sure this is ok to use or should I look for an Magnesium Kit?

Kit has Trim Tab, trim ram rod, Gimbal Housing, and transom bolt anodes.

I'm not sure what anode type is on it now it has been on their since I bought the boat 3 years ago.

Thanks,
PF

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Which anode type to use? Mg Al Zn

After reading this link, I guess I dont know anything about them. But I do know a bit more now.

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

After reading this link, I guess I dont know anything about them. But I do know a bit more now.

Thanks I guess Aluminium is the winner I will be installing ithe kit with my new SE106 drive tomorrow.

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since the gear case in Aluminium, whats the point of an aluminium anode? I would use the zinc as they came with the drive when new...

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class

When would magnesium be used? I've heard magnesium is used for freshwater, why not that?

According to the Merc site:
All MerCruiser sterndrives come standard with aluminum sacrificial anodes & 3-year warranty against certain types of corrosion (see your owner's manual for more details). Seacore models receive a four-year limited corrosion warranty.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/servic...intenance/faqs/mercruiser/?category=corrosion

Bifflefan

Commander

Since the gear case in Aluminium, whats the point of an aluminium anode? I would use the zinc as they came with the drive when new...
Read the link I posted.

When would magnesium be used? I've heard magnesium is used for freshwater, why not that?
Yes it is. Also read the link.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a Alpha One Gen 1 with SS Prop trailered only used in freshwater 120 hours a season.

I recently purchased an aluminium anode kit and wanted to make sure this is ok to use or should I look for an Magnesium Kit?

Kit has Trim Tab, trim ram rod, Gimbal Housing, and transom bolt anodes.

I'm not sure what anode type is on it now it has been on their since I bought the boat 3 years ago.

Thanks,
PF

If you stay fresh water use mag. Zinc is good for either.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Completely different types of aluminum alloy. Merc stopped using zinc many years ago, because it didn't work very well. Here is one of the service bulletins from 91 on the change from zinc to aluminum anodes.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/91/91_19.pdf

Magnesium anodes are for freshwater only, not to be used in saltwater, aluminum can be used in either fresh or salt.
For a trailered boat magnesium or aluminum will work because the boat is not sitting at a dock where the anodes are needed most.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

But magnesium is better in fresh water which is not good for salt.

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check out boatzincs.com.......Awesome people and great service.

I can tell you that I learned the hard way this year....I have an Alpha Gen II
with stainless prop and left original anodes in great shape on and suffered corrosion as a result of the stainless prop.

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

Completely different types of aluminum alloy. Merc stopped using zinc many years ago, because it didn't work very well.

I wonder why it took 20 years to figure this out?

On my 22 year old boat the zinc seems to have worked very well. No corrosion on the aluminium, and the 3 zinc anodes are about 50% gone.