Weird behavior

pinbodean

Seaman Apprentice
1996 7.4 liter, Bravo 3

Hi all.Finally got the boat off the lift and got it summerized. However, it acted really strange. First off, after sitting all winter, it took about 4-5 seconds to start. Then after I got it started, I did everything I could to get it to leak water from ANYWHERE, and it just wouldn't do it. I then took it out and ran it for about an hour and a half and it didn't do anything but run great.

So does anybody have any idea what could be causing this strange behavior? It's really got me concerned...........

:)

Here's wishing everyone a fun and safe season. Bodean

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Weird behavior

Yeah pintobean, that is weird . . .

Uraijit

Banned

It might have something to do with proper winterization, and routine maintenance... That's the first place to check. ;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What you are seeing is basically normal. the problems occur when you don't winterize at all, then fail to summerize. Then when you back your boat into the water the first time after doing nothing is when the FUN really begins.
I know it seem odd, but you will get used to it in time :D

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

What do you mean by "leak" water?

Did you run it IN the water or on MUFFS? How was the temp whilst running?

Also, when was your raw water pump last replaced? It's possible that it's damaged or destroyed. (You didn't run it dry for any length of time?)

Good to get it out in the water I'll bet!!

Cheers,

Rick

pinbodean

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, after I hit send I thought, I just jinxed myself.

It's just that it's so rare that nothing needs to be tweaked in the Spring. I've had i/o's for 20 years and it seems like every year at summerization there is a couple of very minor problems.I do my own winterizing and I try to be thorough, but invariably there's always something. Like a hose clamp that needs a half a turn more to stop a slight drip, or a battery cable that needs wire brushing; things like that. This year there was NOTHING. I think that's happened only one other time. Anyway, I hope my tongue-in-cheek post doesn't come back to haunt me. :)

Bodean

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

So does anybody have any idea what could be causing this strange behavior? It's really got me concerned...........

You should have gotten the boat involved in sports before this happened!