volvo 290 u joints

russ5348

Cadet
I have a vibration and clunking noise upon slowing down in my 1987 volvo 290 outdrive.it is powered by a 4 cylinder volve aq series engine. I am trying to figure out if it is the the u joints creating this vibration and clunking sound or if it is some other problem. the unit only makes the noise on slowing down and it has to be a rapid slowdown to generate the noise. I have not owned a i/o unit before only outboards and am totally unfamiliar with the drive train noises being generated. the engine is very good with good compression and running attributes I did replace the large main pin on the outdrive it was wobbly and loose and was torking to the side. the boat is a 18 ft san diego classic stringari skiff and I want to restore it if I dont have to go to crazy on the power plant and drive units thanks for any help and ideas given.

robjen1019

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: volvo 290 u joints

Take the outdrive upper portion off and check the ujoint. You don't want it to completely go out. It can tear everything up and cost alot of money and time to fix.

captmello

Captain
Re: volvo 290 u joints

Take the outdrive upper portion off and check the ujoint. You don't want it to completely go out. It can tear everything up and cost alot of money and time to fix.

yep, have a look at this.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309095

Once you have the upper gear box removed you can check it over.

If you can't do the work yourself, Find a mechanic with experience in working on these older Volvo Penta outdrives.