synthetic vs nonsyn. motor oil

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Ive been told Its bad to change from one oil to the other or visa /versa.I changed to castrol syntek blend in my 98 chevyS10 about 5 oil changes ago before I heard this advice.it got better mpg and power right away and the mpg is still there.leak at front seal got worse.last change I put in mobile syn high mileage/mob filter.I now have 142000 mi and perf. is getting a little worse.(I think i need a new timing chain) but may just get another truck soon.Im about to put conventional Penzoil High mileage oil and fram filter w some time release additive built into the filter for older engines.Is this a bad idea after the synthetic oil? Ive gotten my money and more out of this truck already and dont plan to spend alot on it anymore.I can change the chain myself.it might need new lifters etc. also though.any chevy experts out there?its a 4.3 v6 throttle body and I think towing my boat is taking a toll on it now.has this motor reached its limits.its the first chevy ive owned in 28 yrs.72 Blazer I wish I still had now!

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: synthetic vs nonsyn. motor oil

thanks,thats kinda what I thought.I do like this truck but the ac went out 2 yrs ago and the price to fix it was to much for the value of the truck to me.Ive been spanking the crap out of it since then.and am suprised how its held up!only repairs have been brakes,waterpump,trans filter,and an intake manifold gasket water passage leak someone said was a common issue w this yr motor.all before the AC.paid $4500 for it in 2002 w 42000 mi.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

You can switch back and forth with no problems. Synthetics will make leaks worse which is why I wouldn't recommend them on older engines.

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class

Changing the oil from syn to dino will cause no problems at all, or vice versa.

A Fram filter, on the other hand, is one of the poorest choices you can make in oil filters.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

and fram filter w some time release additive built into the filter for older engines.

Never heard of such a thing. Sounds like a gimmick to me and a waste of money. As far as Fram or no Fram, I run Fram all the time. Although, for everyone that uses them you'll find the same amount that would never use them. I'm surprised your engine is shot after only 142k. I see it is a S10 that probably wasn't meant for towing much. Put thicker oil in, it should help slow down the leaking. I had a '93 chevy 1/2 ton with over 200k. The last I heard it was still on the road.

Triton II

Commander

Never heard of such a thing. Sounds like a gimmick to me and a waste of money. As far as Fram or no Fram, I run Fram all the time. Although, for everyone that uses them you'll find the same amount that would never use them. I'm surprised your engine is shot after only 142k. I see it is a S10 that probably wasn't meant for towing much. Put thicker oil in, it should help slow down the leaking. I had a '93 chevy 1/2 ton with over 200k. The last I heard it was still on the road.

WIMUSKY, check out the Fram website, this is an extract...

FRAM High Mileage? Oil Filter with Time-Released Oil Renewal
For Vehicles With Over 75,000 Miles

?Industry exclusive, patented time-released gel additive conditions oil through the entire change cycle
?Gel additives help balance oil PH and helps neutralize acids and helps slows down viscosity increase
?Ideal for older engines that are more susceptible to oil break-down
?Uses cellulose and synthetic glass blended media to provide 3X MORE engine protection than the average of leading economy oil filters
?95% Dirt Trapping Efficiency

TII

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

WIMUSKY, check out the Fram website, this is an extract...

FRAM High Mileage? Oil Filter with Time-Released Oil Renewal
For Vehicles With Over 75,000 Miles

?Industry exclusive, patented time-released gel additive conditions oil through the entire change cycle
?Gel additives help balance oil PH and helps neutralize acids and helps slows down viscosity increase
?Ideal for older engines that are more susceptible to oil break-down
?Uses cellulose and synthetic glass blended media to provide 3X MORE engine protection than the average of leading economy oil filters
?95% Dirt Trapping Efficiency

TII

So I read that as Fram stating (on their own website) that their filters are in the "economy class" ???

'96 Charger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree on the thicker oil and go dino. The crap synthetic will clean out is what was keeping your engine from leaking. I run Castrol dino oil in my Ram and it seems to hold up the best to my short trip abuse. Now with the Fram debate you're better off getting a Supertech filter. Actually, I'm quite happy with Supertech filters so far. They're a Champion Labs filter and supposidly identical to one of the much higher priced "name brand" filters they make.

dolluper

Captain

Thicker regular oil will help ....try a litre of trannie oil to replace 1 of oil when you change next ....it will clean and soften the seal....dextron has lanolen in it so it softens rubber....just might help your leak and valve lifters

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Wow,Im enlightened.Thanks every one.Ive used Castrol dino forever,but when the syntec was on sale w filter for less,I tried it.and I had to adjust my foot! cause I kept squallin tires turning at intresections,also the milage improved 2 mpg.(not while towing)Got 5 qt jug of the pensoil for $14,supposed to help w leaks.dont know about the filter.but this eng. has been run hard for 2/3 yrs.I put 10w30 cast in it one summer about 80000mi. and it seemed to be sluggish.i changed it after a few weeks.A friend told me to run some MMO in it before I change oil and that will help.The truck doesent have a tow pkg. on the sticker.it does have oil and trans lines to the radiator core though.I think my towed wt. is about 1800lbs.

'96 Charger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can't say that I noticed a difference between Syntec and regular dino oil but Mobil 1 is a different story. Stuff is just too expensive to be using every 3 months whether it needs it or not. Truth be told side by side the regular Castrol dino feels more "slick" between the fingers than Syntec. Or maybe I was just out of my mind that day? Who knows?:confused:Now the 4.8 v8 in my Sierra and Silverado before that didn't like Castrol dino oil at all. It was either change dino every 2000 (short trip abuse and engine knock after 2k happening) or go synthetic. Mobil 1 and Valvoline synthetic were the top choices with those engines.

45Auto

Commander

There sure is some hilarious reading and "facts" in this thread! It would be more appropriate in "Stupid Human Tricks"!! :eek:

Google is your friend. Do a few searches for actual scientific documented tests between dino and synthetic oils if you're interested in the truth.

'96 Charger

Petty Officer 1st Class

The test they did with NYC taxi cabs was an eye opener. And most of the cabs that had an additive poured in with the oil had engine trouble during the test. Also said there wasn't any discernable difference between the different brands between 3000 and 6000 or dino vs synthetic. Only flaw in that test was the cabs stayed running most of the time without getting shut down. Short trip testing is what I'm interested in.

bigdee

Commander

There sure is some hilarious reading and "facts" in this thread! It would be more appropriate in "Stupid Human Tricks"!! :eek:

Google is your friend. Do a few searches for actual scientific documented tests between dino and synthetic oils if you're interested in the truth.

I will 2nd that!.....people tend to get a little nutty on this topic but the oil companies love it.

Brewman61

Ensign

Back several decades I had a piece-o-crap Pontiac Sunbird, that had to stay outside during the Minnesota winter- no plug in's for an engine heater available. The car wouldn't start if the temperature was below about 20 degrees. No fuel injection in cars back then. Not good, since I had a "no excuses" boss at the time.
In desperation, I filled up with Mobil 1, which advertised how well the oil flowed even in very cold temperatures. That did the trick, so every year come fall I'd switch over to that stuff, and ran the cheap stuff the rest of the year.
One morning it was -35 degrees, actual temperature, not a windchill factor.
NOBODY's cars were starting- everyone had their hoods up and jumper cables out. I came out and after a few extra seconds of cranking engine fired up and ran. You should seen the looks I got.
That sold me on the product.
I've used Synthetic motorcycle oil in my bike, since the first oil change. Not sure if it benefits me- that's tough to prove, but it's got a much longer service interval, which suits my once per year oil change routine. I feel better using synthetic mc oil for that interval than I'd feel using regular mc oil, and with only one oil change a year, the extra cost isn't significant to me.
And my engine doesn't leak, hasn't blown up. Runs spot on after 5 years.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I forgot to mention,Ive always used 5w30 as recomended in the owners manual.that was probably important,OOOPs.I might try 10w30 again, if I still have the truck next summer.would that be better in the older eng?

j_martin

Admiral

I forgot to mention,Ive always used 5w30 as recomended in the owners manual.that was probably important,OOOPs.I might try 10w30 again, if I still have the truck next summer.would that be better in the older eng?

The reason for the 5W30 spec is to get the mileage the last couple hundredths of a mpg to meet guvmnt demands. If the engine holds good oil pressure, you can run it. Base 10 oil (10w30, 10w40) will help in an older engine that's starting to open up on the clearances.

I run synthetic in everything, including lawn mowers. I find it is much cheaper than parts. Too bad it doesn't affect body life in MN. Astro van, bought at 153,000 miles and switch to synthetic had to be parked at 328,000. Engine runs like a watch. All the doors fell off.

I run very long intervals on the oil, but 3000 mile intervals on filters. With synthetic run this way it's less expensive than cheep dino oil at 3000 mile change intervals.

In small air cooled engines, I run 15W40, or 20W50 for summer use. 5W30 for winter use.

I've also had 2 engines in my care run nearly out of oil with little damage. One was a Chevy 4.3 where the remote filter lines leaked. Daughter didn't notice till the idiot light yelled at her. The other was a 3.9L Dodge Dakota that a teenage son beat the chit out of and let the oil run down 3 quarts before I confiscated the vehicle. The first eventually went to Mexico where the ridiculous roads did it in. The other is still hauling wood 3 years later.

The oil I use. The least expensive full synth I can find, usually WallyWorld stuff. They all will pour like water at 40 below, and not smoke or degrade at 300 degrees.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Cn spots,i just read your posts reference info.thank you much, It seemed to confirm my findings.I think i might exchange the penzoil and fram-w the teflon or whatever for 10w30 syn.since my motor probably has a fair amount of wear on it.I noticed when towing on 90*+/- days the temp would creep up after about 20 or so mins on the highway,my trips are 25 or so.Im gonna get a bigger truck to tow to the coast with, soon as i can.I might keep this one if it keeps runnin because I doubt I would get much for it trade in w broke Ac,roughish body,cracked windshield etc.the drivetrain has held up better than the chassis for sure.and thanks again to everyone else.