Shifting Help

jashcraft80

Cadet
I have a 1974 115 evinrude V4. I took it to the dealer a year ago for no reverse and they messed with the cables and got it to work for 1 day at the lake. Now the forward is starting to lock in and sometimes shifts hard. How do i fix both rev and forward. I am good with motors but have no clue to lower units any help would be great. Thanks John

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Shifting Help

Welcome to Iboats. Have you disconnected the shift cable from the motor and seen if you could shift it manually when running the motor on muffs?

jashcraft80

Cadet
Shifting Help

I have a 1974 115 evinrude V4. I took it to the dealer a year ago for no reverse and they messed with the cables and got it to work for 1 day at the lake. Now after riding with no reverse for a year the forward is starting to lock in and sometimes shifts hard. I guess what i am trying to say is how do i fix both rev and forward. I am good with motors but have no clue to lower units any help would be great. Thanks John

jashcraft80

Cadet

no i have not tried that but the dealer said they had the cable all the way and they said that the pin was starting to fail what ever that is will try that in the morrning thanks

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Your welcome. Let us know what you find out. You can try to shift it without running the motor but to find out what is going on you need to have the motor running on muffs then shift it manually at the motor with the cable undone.

I had to do the same thing with my motor to rule out the lower unit being the problem, turned out that my control box was the problem

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you need to be on the water, disconnect the shift cable, and shift it manually at the motor. it sounds like either a bad cable or worn out shifter. but, you need to rule out the motor. you have a hydro-mechanical shift, it has an oil pump in the lower unit, shifting moves valves in the lower, directing the oil to move the shift linkage in the lower unit. as i said rule out the motor before going further.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The shift rod has a barrel swivel at the top that is the only adjustment of the shift rod length and should be within two turns of seated when turned clockwise. It probably is fine as it is unless the lower unit has been removed recently.

To test the shift cable, with the engine off and the spark plugs disconnected or preferably removed, move the throttle arm at the control all of the way forward and back to neutral. Disconnect the cable at the engine. Shift the lower unit into forward, reverse and back to neutral manually, checking the propeller to see that the proper action has occured. With the plugs removed, you should be able to turn the flywheel clockwise while watching the propeller. At this point, back in neutral, the shift cable should slide back onto the fitting with no adjustment whatever. If it does not, use the black trunnion wheel at the engine to adjust the cable until it does slide on without further adjustment.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

double posting does you no good. we are having so many questions you sometimes have to look a page or 2 back to find your post.

jashcraft80

Cadet

I pulled the cables started it up and it worked had forward and revs so why dose it not work when they are hooked up it a new cable do i need a new box

freddyray21

Commander

the cables are adjustable. The barrel that connects to the motor is how you adjust them. You need to get a manual and do the adjustment.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Correct, the 479 is for 79 up.

The casing guide fitting at the engine end has either two screws or two set screws to hold and/or adjust the cable within it.

Once you have the casing guide set, make the fine adjustment with the trunnion wheel at the engine until the cable slips back on without moving the shift lever at the engine at all.

Be sure to move the throttle lever on the control all the way forward and back to neutral before reconnecting the cable.

Attachments

• casing guide.JPG
    casing guide.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 0

jashcraft80

Cadet

im sure a can get it from here Thank You for your help John Lol i was thinking lower unit 1st and not cables but that is only cause of what the dealer told me and the work they did