engine dieing

newtwoboating

Recruit
We have a 2004 Merc 150 2 stroke. Out on water for over 3 hours. Engine ran great! While coming back to shore, engine just died. no sputtering, choking out, smoke, just died. Would not restart unless constantly squeezing bulb by engine. Had to get towed in. What could be up? Gas gauge says 1/2 a tank? not sure this works, prev, owner says it does? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: engine dieing

From a technical perspective, I'd say it's worth starting with some routine maintenance. Why? Just because it's cheap and easy, you may get lucky, and it generally needs to be done anyway. For example, check your plugs. They often need to be changed anyway and can become fouled or wet from flooding while in use causing engine issues.

While doing some routine stuff, look for things clearly out of the ordinary. Here is why I say this. I had a similar issue second time out on my boat. I had engine trouble all day which turns out to be the result of the engine being flooded which fouled up the plugs. The last straw was when it died back to idle but not altogether. I found the linkage between the throttle and the carbs in the motor was broken and just hanging there.

This may not be the most informative post I admit... :) But, in my line of work and with any technical issue, start with the cheap easy stuff. You never know when you'll get lucky and find your whole day was ruined by a $6.00 part and some oily plugs! :)

Oh, and get a manual if you don't have one already. They are life savers!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: engine dieing

died. Would not restart unless constantly squeezing bulb by engine.

Usually a 'No Fuel' condition is caused by a defective fuel pump.

Test this by disconnecting the fuel line to the carbs, point it into a suitable container. Pull the lanyard to kill the ignition so the motor will not start. Pump the primer bulb til you see fuel to ensure all the lines to/from the fuel pump are full. Crank the motor for 10 seconds and observe the fuel stream.

You should see a strong pulsed fuel flow.

If little to no flow, rebuild the fuel pump, and check all the fuel lines for loose fittings and/or cracking hoses. Replace hoses if necessary.