how to build/install a floor in alloy boat?

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
summer is coming around fast we have just finished going through winter and im getting my boat ready for the warmer weather and the fishing how would i go about building a floor for this boat?

Attachments

• Picture 217.jpg
    Picture 217.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 218.jpg
    Picture 218.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: how to build/install a floor in alloy boat?

That might be a tough choice. Do you want a flat deck? Or a basic small flat surface.

Any decking will add weight and also make the boat a bit more tippy since you will be essentially changing the center of gravity.

Many people have made removable decking for the smaller boats with great success.

There are a few smaller projects in the Completed Project Section that reflect that and I would also look at a few of the Starcraft restorations for ideas.

Have you considered a nice non-slip coating directly on the hull?

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer

i have carpet i can lay down but i really need a flat floor as when we go out fishing all our gear gets put in the middle of the boat if we dont put it there it falls there lol

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well.... a removable deck is probably best for a small boat (you have the ability to keep the hull clean and retrieve anything that falls (not that we ever drop things in a boat :D)

Take a look at this iboats person did... ;) http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=267237

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for the link that has given my an idea on how to do it :) what thickness plywood would u recommend?