Few questions before buying a jet boat

Drag0n

Recruit
I'm looking to buy a newer model sea doo speedster 200. I'd love to have the power of the super charged 430hp model but the superchargers seem like they can be giant headaches if something goes wrong with them. Is the 310hp model comparable at all to the 430hp? The 310hp model still has to be pretty quick right? Plus it'll be easier on gas. If anybody could shed some light onthis I'd appreciate it. Thanks

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Few questions before buying a jet boat

That 310hp model should really scoot!

And yes, either stay away from the supercharger or immediately swap out the ceramic washers. They fail around 100 hours, fall into the engine, and eat everything up beyond repair.

I had a 110hp 2-stroke up until a couple weeks ago, and it was a blast. But the 2-stroke was hard to keep from burning things up, since it runs 7200 rpms all the time.

Expect a wear ring replacement at least every other year, more if you suck up sand, rocks, ski-ropes, etc. Not a difficult job, but I would rather be on the water than doing a ring-swap.

Drag0n

Recruit

Yeah I've read about the washers. Is that an expensive fix?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

forget it, go with a propped motor. with a jet, you are loosing 30% of all that power, in the conversion to the jet.
you want power, buy the correct set up.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yep, what he said ^^^

Can't fish running that fast anyway.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

forget it, go with a propped motor. with a jet, you are loosing 30% of all that power, in the conversion to the jet.
you want power, buy the correct set up.

and yet that myth keeps going...

30% is the amount lost for an outboard jet. Those things use a different type of pump, and yes, are horrendously inefficient.

A modern seadoo/yamaha jet will have about a 10% hit in mpg's compared to a comparable in performance I/O. In some cases, especially at faster speeds, the mpg's are going to be nearly identical. Don't believe me? Go look up boattest.com. (if you search on my username and boattest I've posted some links between a yamaha jet boat and a glastron, the results were very, very close.)

I currently own 2 propped craft, and 3 jet powered, so i'm pretty much impartial either way. (as well as having owned 2 previous jet boats, and many, many prop boats) Jet boats have their advantages and disadvantages, but to absolutely discount one based on urban legend is pretty dumb...

I drive in water 6 inches deep A LOT. I'd like to see an I/O do that! :D

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

and yet that myth keeps going...

30% is the amount lost for an outboard jet. Those things use a different type of pump, and yes, are horrendously inefficient.

A modern seadoo/yamaha jet will have about a 10% hit in mpg's compared to a comparable in performance I/O. In some cases, especially at faster speeds, the mpg's are going to be nearly identical. Don't believe me? Go look up boattest.com. (if you search on my username and boattest I've posted some links between a yamaha jet boat and a glastron, the results were very, very close.)

I currently own 2 propped craft, and 3 jet powered, so i'm pretty much impartial either way. (as well as having owned 2 previous jet boats, and many, many prop boats) Jet boats have their advantages and disadvantages, but to absolutely discount one based on urban legend is pretty dumb...

I drive in water 6 inches deep A LOT. I'd like to see an I/O do that! :D

I hear a lot of guys talk about that.. I'm pretty sure it's due to geographical differences, but I don't see the appeal in being almost out of the water? A lot of those boats are super flat and low. If you tried to take it out here on the salt where the real fish are to be had, you sink and die... it seems those guys are pretty much stuck in kiddy water, little sheltered ponds and things with no waves to sink them. I'd rather have a boat that can cross oceans than one that can almost drive in the puddle at the end of my driveway. Do people interested in these boats just not have access to much water? I wanted a boat to take me places I couldn't get to before. If I ever come across 6" of water then my truck can drive over it, towing a seaworthy vessel behind it..

Mainiac Boater

Seaman Apprentice

It seems you have a boat that serves your purposes but I'm quite sure it wouldn't serve everyones needs. I think that may be why there are countless styles and sizes of boats. To accomodate everyones needs.

Are all jet boats capable of deep sea fishing...no.
Are all deep sea fishing boats capable of waterskiing on a 4 mile long lake...no.

I have owned a jet boat now for less than 2 months and have had it on the water 10 times, so I am far from an expert. However, I can tell you that I have had a blast every second I've been using it.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

If I ever come across 6" of water then my truck can drive over it, towing a seaworthy vessel behind it..

I like the way this guy thinks :D