Status
Not open for further replies.

Expidia

Commander
I have a spray can of:

WD40
White Lithium grease
Teflon Spray

Just wondering. I used the Teflon spray on them today, but it doesn't seem to do much and I know that stuff will disappear pretty quickly.

I was worried that the Lithium grease or the WD40 might stain the gray boat cover.

They are on a custom made trailerable boat cover, so all the snaps are pretty snug.

Or is there a special product available to keep my snaps slick and snappy :D

Thx

P.S. Slick and Snappy . . . try saying that one fast 3 times :)

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Best lube for baot cover snaps?

Re: Best lube for baot cover snaps?

Don't use a spray, it goes all over. Apply it with the tip of your finger. Anything oily/greasy will do, including Vaseline.

My .02

Brewman61

Ensign
Re: Best lube for boat cover snaps?

I picked up a tube of the Starbrite(I think) brand snap/zipper lube. For all I know it's just repackaged vaseline, but it works really well. It's stayed on all season so far, and I haven't pulled any snaps out. It's not the cheapest stuff but I should get at least two or three applications from the tube.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

the guy that built our covers and redid our seats told me to try a tube of chap-stick

jill uses it and had some. surprising as it sounds, it worked and lasted quite well. was also easy to dab on with no mess

gss036

Commander

There is product called PTFE which comes in about 4-6 oz tube that is made for that purpose.
Most marine shops will have it. I am thinking is is a Starton product, kinda spendy but goes a loooooooong way.

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is product called PTFE which comes in about 4-6 oz tube that is made for that purpose.
Most marine shops will have it. I am thinking is is a Starton product, kinda spendy but goes a loooooooong way.

PTFE is simply the abbreviation for the chemical polytetrafluoroethylene, commonly known by DuPont's trademark for it----Teflon. Nothing more.

Expidia

Commander

So far I like that chapstick idea :)

I'll try a dab on each snap before I spring for the Starbright product.

Seems like the Vaseline thing might work it's way onto the cover and collect dirt.

Thx

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

We have used just a small dab of Vaseline on each snap for years. Replenish it every year and you're good to go!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I have been an upholsterer for 18 years and I always use chapstick. Even on my own boat. One small dab lasts a year.

Stick with the original...don't go gettin' all fancy and use the Cherry flavor, either...:rolleyes:

rwidman

Lieutenant

I picked up a tube of the Starbrite(I think) brand snap/zipper lube. For all I know it's just repackaged vaseline, but it works really well. It's stayed on all season so far, and I haven't pulled any snaps out. It's not the cheapest stuff but I should get at least two or three applications from the tube.

That's what I use. It's not repackaged vaseline.

rwidman

Lieutenant

PTFE is simply the abbreviation for the chemical polytetrafluoroethylene, commonly known by DuPont's trademark for it----Teflon. Nothing more.

The Starbrite product contains this.

sasto

Captain

Agree Brewman....100%
Zipper lube....only thing I have ever used.............vaseline is to thick for me to apply directly.....although workes great.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I was told olive oil by a canvas guy for the zippers.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Chapsick? No kiddin? I've go that! No more broken nails for the missus! Love this place!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Chapsick? No kiddin? I've go that! No more broken nails for the missus! Love this place!

Yeah, that'll work, too. Add 'anything waxy' to the list. Even a candle rubbed on snaps and zippers will help.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

Chapstick is also commonly used on zippers for drysuits as a lubricating
agent that holds up in water usage. It's a winner!

:rolleyes:

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Chapstick is made with wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.