min kota powerdrive hard to disengage

buckwheat9

Recruit
hi folks,i have a problem trying to lower my "min kota powerdrive v2" trolling motor in to the water. it sticks big time. would some type of lube work or grind some of the surface off. thanks guys

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: min kota powerdrive hard to disengage

Be careful what you grind. A little non-petroleum lub on the slides where the motor housing sits will help. A sharp push down on the release lever should be all that's needed.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

I just use some of that super protectant, its slick, but not greasy so it dosn't collect dirt. The first time I tried it, I nearly shot the motor off the boat!

LUCKYDUX

Cadet

I have an older powerdrive that can be a real buzz kill trying to get it in the water. I looked and can't see a way to get it down any easier as of yet so I'm assuming your issue is similar to mine. It has sat for a long time and it has crossed my mind to lube it but not sure where.
Ric Mic, is the super protectant you talk of the stuff that acts similar to armor all

dozerII

Admiral

I put a post on here quite a while back about this http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=390276&highlight=deploy+assist I had the same problem and found out you can order the parts for the new style deploy assist about $ 25. and it is real easy to change over. Then it deploys with a push of the lever. Mine worked great till the wife knocked the motor off it's shelf and broke the new lever.
Glen

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

I have an older powerdrive that can be a real buzz kill trying to get it in the water. I looked and can't see a way to get it down any easier as of yet so I'm assuming your issue is similar to mine. It has sat for a long time and it has crossed my mind to lube it but not sure where.
Ric Mic, is the super protectant you talk of the stuff that acts similar to armor all

Yes, but it armor all seems to wash off pretty easy. I have a couple different brands here, but I think I used the Turtle Wax space age or whatever they call it protectant. I just do the whole motor and make sure to get the contact area where the motor docks on the mount. Silicone lube would probably work just as well, but the protectant, makes the motor look nice!

LUCKYDUX

Cadet

I used some cycle lube tonight and it worked great...should last a while as well