1970 wellcraft 16 ft need input

ARLwellcraft

Recruit
im new to the boat world and i bought a wellcraft after looking around i found that where my outboard is bolted on the bottom, on the inside of the boat it has cracked and about 10 inches across from bolt to bolt almost its just that fiber inside layer i dunno how to fix it. im wanting to go a cheaper way of just making sure it cant get worse. maybe fill it with apoxi? i dunno. thank for your help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 wellcraft 16 ft need input

Your transom is shot. This is not at all uncommon. You will find plenty of advice on here on how to properly replace it. A band-aid repair is not recommended.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!
Unfortunately, I have to agree with EZ on this one. The construction of your boat is a fiberglass exterior with a wooden core. With older boats the Wooden cores get water intrusion and thus the wood rots away. The cracked fiberglass is an indication of this rot. There is also a strong likely hood that the stringers that support the deck of the boat will also have some rot. If you like the boat and want to keep it then you will need to restore it. If you are handy and don't mind the effort and expense there will be plenty of help and examples here on the forum to get you thru it. Cost will be approx $1,000 to $1,500 depending on how extensive the damage is and what all you want to do. If you DON'T want to go into it then I would sell the boat and look for another. At least now you know what to look for when purchasing a used boat.

I'm just sayin...:D

ARLwellcraft

Recruit

yea the only thing im worryed about is the part behind the motor just wanna make sure its not gonna bust off. i bought this boat for a 1000 bucks with a really good running motor and it looks good for a 70 its mainly a fishing boat

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

There is wood across the entire stern (most likely) and this is what supports the motor and transfers its forces to the hull. This wood is rotten and needs to be replaced.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Like EZ says, you need to do a very close and thorough inspection of the transom because like you say you "Don't want the back of the boat to fall off" and based on what you are describing it COULD. The STRONG running motor you are talking about can put an awful lot of stress on that transom soooooo.... if I were you I would do the right thing and take care of business.

I'm just sayin...:D

ARLwellcraft

Recruit

it dont look like wood and i dont think its as bad as you guys say . the part thats cracked i like a little over a 16th thick and like a fiber glass form. and its like 9 inch wide crack

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Please read some of the restoration threads on here to see how these boats are constructed. The glass wouldn't have cracked if the internal wood hadn't failed.