What's that noise? D'OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lncoop

Vice Admiral
We spent most of the weekend at some friends' lake house. We had to be back Sunday morning for my niece's baptism, so the plan was to go ahead and trailer the barge Saturday night so we wouldn't have to get up as early Sunday morning. As always, the admiral backed the trailer in flawlessly, then I loaded the boat and she pulled up (I'll spare you the rest of the loading routine). Halfway up the ramp she had her head out the window and was shouting "What's that noise?" It was an awful squeal. My first thought was the brakes were locked and were rubbing the tires, but I soon discovered that wasn't the problem. One of the bunks had broken and part of the port toon was resting on the fender, which was of course taking it out on the tire. I had planned to replace it in the next couple of weeks, but had I realized how weak it was I would have already replaced it. I splashed the boat again and ran it back over to the lake house while the admiral took the trailer back over. We left the next morning sans boat and went back after church to replace the bunk and bring her home. As frustrating as it was to burn that time and gas, I just kept thinking about what could have happened if that bunk had chosen to hold up until we hit the freeway.:eek: Always something with these boats. No one in his right mind would own one. Now, where do we go this weekend..........

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What's that noise? D'OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the last couple lines!

Good story. It pays to check out your trailer and yeah, that could have been disastrous had it happened on the highway. I'm going over my trailer when the boat is at the marina in the guest slip over the holiday and am replacing bunks and relocating the axle forward 6-8 inches to give it more tongue weight.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Love the last couple lines!

Good story. It pays to check out your trailer and yeah, that could have been disastrous had it happened on the highway. I'm going over my trailer when the boat is at the marina in the guest slip over the holiday and am replacing bunks and relocating the axle forward 6-8 inches to give it more tongue weight.

wouldn't moving the axle forward lighten the tongue wieght ?

slag

Chief Petty Officer

wouldn't moving the axle forward lighten the tongue wieght ?

yes, I mistyped. Moving it back. Already made the marks where I think it should go, I just dont want to have to jack up the weight of the boat and trailer to do this so am waiting for labor day.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm going to take my boat home this year for the winter.I have a very long driveway and some time later I will jack up the boat and replace all the wood and coverings.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

yes, I mistyped. Moving it back. Already made the marks where I think it should go, I just dont want to have to jack up the weight of the boat and trailer to do this so am waiting for labor day.

just checking...lol :D

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Been offered the lake house for Labor Day weekend, so I think while she's in the water I'll carve out a few hours to go over the trailer with a fine tooth comb. Heck, I might even go crazy and replace the other bunks! I have the bestest kind of lake house in existence; someone else's.;)