Another engne id question

winfordr

Recruit
Can you please help me determine the year of a Johnson 25 Seahorse with serial number 387659 (stamped on the cover over the flywheel). There are no other visible markings on the engine. Thanks for your help!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Another engne id question

look between transom clamps for a plate 1" x 2" model # should be there.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats.

You will need to locate a model number preferrably, Im assuming the stern bracket tag is removed?

model number location.jpg

Look at the top rear of the motor for the welch plug, it is about the size of a quarter and will contain the model number.

winfordr

Recruit

Thanks much. I will look for the model again tomorrow. This belongs to my brother who brought me the whole rig to bring up to par. I do a lot of odd repair jobs, but boats and outboards are new to me.
Winford:)

wbeaton

Commander

Please post both model and serial number. The serial number you posted is circa 1940. The 25 hp didn't come on the scene until 1951, which at its earliest would be s/n 869,940 - 920,479. However, if your s/n is actually 887,659 and not 387,659 then you would have a 1951.

Photos or a physical description including colour and cowl style always help.

jameskb2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1977 25 HP Evinrude

Evnirude and Johnson are the "same" engines, OMC made them. Different badges, covers ect...but for the most part, they are the same.

That's why the Johnson cover fits on it. It could STILL be a Johnson, if someone swapped out the transom bracket, but it doesn't happen too often.

The engine will have a welch plug on it, it's a silver aluminum, round convex or flat plug about the size of a quarter. Your's is probably painted. The engine ID should match the tag you found on the transom bracket. The numbers are stamped into the welch plug.

Bolt99

Recruit

This is a effort to I D an engine of my own instead of a reply to this question. Johnson 9.9, Model #10E75C. Any ideas?

wbeaton

Commander

1975 Johnson 9.9 hp. Next time start your own thread. You will get more responses.

Bolt99

Recruit

I apologize for the inappropriate technique, I'm a newby to posting. But with your kind and gentle support I feel I will never return to this site again. Thanks for understanding.

wbeaton

Commander

I'm sorry you misinterpreted my tone. I was only trying to help. Fortunately, I won't have to worry about upsetting you again.

CATransplant

Admiral

I apologize for the inappropriate technique, I'm a newby to posting. But with your kind and gentle support I feel I will never return to this site again. Thanks for understanding.

Well, just on the off chance that you do drop back in, you misinterpreted the response. The poster answered your question, then advised you that you'll get a better response if you post a new thread when you ask a question.

I see nothing there to take offence at. You got the information you asked for, plus some tips on how to get a better response in the future. If it were me, I'd say thanks a lot to the person who answered you, and listen to the rest of what he said. There's tons of good information here, and lots of help from the folks who volunteer their time to assist other boaters.