alright guys, need some brain-storming for an old hydrodyne

Status
Not open for further replies.

zigzag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
here's the deal, i picked up a 1960ish hydrodyne 1700 (17 foot) for fifty bucks from an old man down the road. even when i bought it i wasn't sure if i really wanted to get into it or not. the old man said he was thinking about cuttin it up and sending it to the dump. i figured i'd pick it up from him and make it a long term project. i've had it out here in the yard now for the better part of two months and have cleaned it up a bit an really have just been looking it over and trying to compile a list of everything that would need done to her. it's a very cool boat and seems to be very solid and durable. here's the catch, the transom..... now i've recently replaced a transom on another boat and it wasn't that bad considering i was replacing the deck and stringers too.

now on the hydrodyne the problem is that you can't just take the top off the boat. it was actually set on top and then glassed together during production. i can't seem to come up with a way to get to the transom without literally cutting the boat in half. at that point i don't know if i really want to get in to it. it just doesn't seem that trying to glass it back together afterwards would work. i don't know......she's got style and i'd love to put her back in the water with a nice power house and go cruising but man....i just don't know

now this boat is not mine but it is virtually identical. mine may actually be in better shape than this one but you can see the transom in the pic. the bottom strip of aluminum trim is where the seam is hidden and i believe it follows the bottom edge the whole way up to the bow. you can see where it is glassed together from the inside. any good ideas out there. i don't have to take the top off to get to anything else just the transom.
(note: i just noticed this boat has a higher transom, my transom is only as high as the bottom set of trim.)
1960hydro1031.JPG

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: alright guys, need some brain-storming for an old hydrodyne

There's that product that you hollow out the transom with a chainsaw and pour in. Seacast I think it is?

What I have done was to get some 1/8" steel and bed a lip at the top and put it on both sides of the transom and sandwich it together with some bolts through it. It worked well but I only put a 25hp on it. If you want bigger power you'll want something better.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: alright guys, need some brain-storming for an old hydrodyne

Welcome to iBoats!

Check out this guys thread

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=364284

Page 1 and 2 will show you all you need to know about how to fix your transom. It IS rather expensive to pour a Seacast Transom ($600) but strong enough to run a 150 hp motor and will last forever.

I'm just sayin...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.