1994 200hp Mariner carburated- getting oil alarm

Seascout3

Seaman Apprentice
Boat had been sitting quite a while. Put good charged battery in it and it started righ up. Problem was the throttle cables were stiff and it started at a very high rpm. Pulled throttle back immediatly but oil alarm started going off. Oil levels are good, checked level switch in tank cap and its good. In reading about this problem I believe the drive gear may have sheared. I want to hook up a tank of premix before I go any further. Any easy way to drain the carbs of the gas that is in them now? Also if the drive gear is sheared, how do you get all the pieces out? I really want to keep the oil injection system the way it is. It has worked fine for a long time. Thanks.

Ed

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 1994 200hp Mariner carburated- getting oil alarm

Boat had been sitting quite a while. Put good charged battery in it and it started righ up. Problem was the throttle cables were stiff and it started at a very high rpm. Pulled throttle back immediatly but oil alarm started going off. Oil levels are good, checked level switch in tank cap and its good. In reading about this problem I believe the drive gear may have sheared. I want to hook up a tank of premix before I go any further. Any easy way to drain the carbs of the gas that is in them now? Also if the drive gear is sheared, how do you get all the pieces out? I really want to keep the oil injection system the way it is. It has worked fine for a long time. Thanks.

Ed

Just loosen the main jets and the fuel will bleed out all over your feet. You could just spray a little fogging oil into each carb throat before you re-start. Not a big deal.

If the oil gear sheared, it's probably not worth the effort to split the power head to replace it. Just remove the oil injection, pre-mix and go on with life.

There is much more than oil tank level involved in the alarm, including the module itself getting hurt by the battery problems. Get the service manual and go through the systematic diagnostics to cut your losses, ie not buy any parts you don't need.

hope it helps
john

Seascout3

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks John,
I have the manual and will perform the procedures listed. I was just afraid to run the engine on the straight gas thats in the carbs. I was thinking I could spray a little oil in the carbs until the oil from my premix tank gets to the carbs. I would like to drain the straight gas from the bowls if I can. Just dont want to do any damage. If I pull the oil pump, does the shaft and gear from the crank just pull out? Is the only way to replace it involve splitting the case?
Thanks
Ed

j_martin

Admiral

Thanks John,
I have the manual and will perform the procedures listed. I was just afraid to run the engine on the straight gas thats in the carbs. I was thinking I could spray a little oil in the carbs until the oil from my premix tank gets to the carbs. I would like to drain the straight gas from the bowls if I can. Just dont want to do any damage. If I pull the oil pump, does the shaft and gear from the crank just pull out? Is the only way to replace it involve splitting the case?
Thanks
Ed

The gear that strips is plastic, and is wrapped around the crank. The only way to replace it is to split the case. It ain't worth the trouble. The pump is easily removed and you can peek down the hole at the crank gear.

You can check for both pump rotation and sensor function with the rotation sensor test in the manual.

You have to have a signal from that sensor, a signal from the ignition, usually #2, an open circuit to the tank level sensor, and an operating module for correct function.

Best bet is just go through the diagnostics so you have the correct information with which to make a decision.

hope it helps
john

Seascout3

Seaman Apprentice

Checked a few more things tonight. Key on motor not running. Have 12 volts to purple wire to alarm module. Disconnected white wire to rotational sensor and only have .5 volts on one side of connector and .3 volts on other side. Manual said I need 12 volts but it is unclear whether going in to module or coming out of it. Hooked everything back up and set meter to measure Hz. Connected to blue/white wire and started engine. Have 5hz-22hz at idle but it is erratic. Started to rain so had to stop for the night. My question is what is the source for the 12 volts to the white wire? Does this mean my alarm module may be bad? Thanks for any help?

Ed

j_martin

Admiral

Checked a few more things tonight. Key on motor not running. Have 12 volts to purple wire to alarm module. Disconnected white wire to rotational sensor and only have .5 volts on one side of connector and .3 volts on other side. Manual said I need 12 volts but it is unclear whether going in to module or coming out of it. Hooked everything back up and set meter to measure Hz. Connected to blue/white wire and started engine. Have 5hz-22hz at idle but it is erratic. Started to rain so had to stop for the night. My question is what is the source for the 12 volts to the white wire? Does this mean my alarm module may be bad? Thanks for any help?

Ed

Module supplies 12V to the rotation sensor. Sensor switches signal lead between 5V and near 0V depending on position of magnet. I don't think the 12V switches on when running.

Manual says to manually turn over the engine with the starter rope, and the sensor lead should alternate between 5V and less than 1V every 2 revolutions.

If the 12V lead is not energized from the module, it's bad. I'd also check the resistance between that lead and ground on the sensor. It's possible it shorted out and took out the module.

If you need a module, I've found that modules from any V6 carbureted or EFI engine will work. Wiring might be different, but solder works.

hope it helps
john

Seascout3

Seaman Apprentice

Hi John,
I appreciate all your help. My manual also has the procedure to turn the motor with the rope and look for voltage, I found a procedure from Marine Solutions that makes an aftermarket oil injection system. In their writeup for their system has a pretty good little troubleshooting guide. Measuring the frequency just seemed easier. They said an erratic reading was not good and my reading was erratic. I am hoping since I am getting a reading that my oil pump did not shear the gear on the crank. I think I will try and solve the 12 volt problem first. It looks like my alarm module maybe bad. I will double check my results before I buy anything.

Ed

j_martin

Admiral

Hi John,
I appreciate all your help. My manual also has the procedure to turn the motor with the rope and look for voltage, I found a procedure from Marine Solutions that makes an aftermarket oil injection system. In their writeup for their system has a pretty good little troubleshooting guide. Measuring the frequency just seemed easier. They said an erratic reading was not good and my reading was erratic. I am hoping since I am getting a reading that my oil pump did not shear the gear on the crank. I think I will try and solve the 12 volt problem first. It looks like my alarm module maybe bad. I will double check my results before I buy anything.

Ed

As with all other marine electrical problems, check your grounds.:D

Seascout3

Seaman Apprentice

It was the Lubealert. module, thanks for all the help.

eddiec

Seaman Apprentice

It was the Lubealert. module, thanks for all the help.
i
I've got the same problem but not familiar wwith a "lubealert module". Also did your tachometer fluctuate and did the alarm get faster as the engine revs up.

j_martin

Admiral

i
I've got the same problem but not familiar wwith a "lubealert module". Also did your tachometer fluctuate and did the alarm get faster as the engine revs up.

Obviously not the same problem. Also, swabbie, yer hijacking an old thread. It would be best to start a new one with your problem in detail.

Welcome to iBoats.:D
John

eddiec

Seaman Apprentice

Obviously not the same problem. Also, swabbie, yer hijacking an old thread. It would be best to start a new one with your problem in detail.

Welcome to iBoats.:D
John

did start one,--low oil alarm on 1998 mariner 150 mag III. didnt realize i was in breach of protocol--no trying to hijack anyone-simply trying to fix my motor.