Never try to (snap)monofilament line if stuck

StarznBarrz

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Never try to (snap)monofilament line if stuck

My buddy and i went out one day and were acting crazy, had 20# monofilament wire and he got hung up in a rocky area and started jerking on his pole and started leaning...long story short, the line snapped, i ducked, he lost his balance and ended up Swimming, damn near took me and the boat with him!

JustJason

Vice Admiral

i super glued the metal tab from a thing dental floss to the backside of my pole.... works greats.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

When I was down in Orlando last week we went pier fishing with some 60lb braided line. After a slow morning, we added a 6lb mono leader line. Of course the fishing picked up as the fish had more difficulty seeing or feeling the line... but the thing I found funny was that one time my hook got hung up on the pier just out of reach... so I pulled to either free it or snap it off. I pulled and you know what broke? That 60lb braided line broke before the 6lb mono line.

eastern27

Seaman

Sounds more like knot failure than broken braid. It's tough to keep mono and braid together without the proper knot. My tool of choice for breaking braid is a 12" piece of wood dowel. 5 wraps around the dowel and hold on tight. Most of the time the line breaks at the terminal tackle. $1 swivel, $2 sinker gone. $20 worth of braided lie saved.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds more like knot failure than broken braid. It's tough to keep mono and braid together without the proper knot. My tool of choice for breaking braid is a 12" piece of wood dowel. 5 wraps around the dowel and hold on tight. Most of the time the line breaks at the terminal tackle. $1 swivel, $2 sinker gone. $20 worth of braided lie saved.

Naw, it snapped about a foot above the knot. I've only had knot failure once with the knot I use. It's hard to explain the knot, but it's very simple and with only one exception, has never failed me.

cbavier

Lieutenant

I was casting out and i had a sliding wieght and the weight flew off without us knowing and my friend was laying on a nearby hammock and it came down and hit him in the crouch

Hope it wasn't a three pound sinker. :D