NEED ADVICE! fixing scratches on outboard...

I just picked up a 1997 Evinrude four-stroke 15 hp, white in color. It's pretty dinged up but I just couldn't pass it up for only 400 bucks!

I am also repainting the boat I bought recently (alumacraft v14), I just ordered primer & paint yesterday. The paint I'm using is Interlux Perfection (2 part epoxy polyurethane). I've got basically no experience with this kind of stuff so I'm wondering if it would be possible to use the Interlux paint to fix the scrathes on the outboard? If I attempt this, I was thinking about trying to wet sand the repainted areas to help them blend in with the original paint on the outboard, would this work??

Any advice from someone with experience or knowledge with this type of stuff would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

drewpster

Commander
Re: NEED ADVICE! fixing scratches on outboard...

I would recommend sanding all the bad areas feather edging all the perimeters of the dings and scratches. Prime using compatible spray primer for marine outboard paint. Then spray paint it using rattle can outboard paint. If you take care and sand correctly the dings and scratches will fade and be covered with the primer and paint. The idea is to prep the surface before painting it. You may have to finish it with some wet sanding, but start by feathering out the bad spots first and it will be much easier to get them covered. If you cant cover the bad spots with the second coat of primer you may have to sand off all the old paint. You might be able to use some light filler but i would not go much heavier than high build primer. Perfection is great for larger areas on the boat itself. (like the hull) But spray paint will do a better job on the outboard.

That was my second thought but the cheapest I can find that outboard paint is 8 bucks plus 10 bucks shipping/handling so I thought maybe I could just do it with the paint I've got and save a few bucks. I suppose I can see if they have the the spray paint at the dealer by my house tomorrow. I don't know, I guess I want it to look good so I'll probably end up going that route because I won't be able to feather it very well using the Perfection because I'd have to roll it. If I feel the need to wet sand what grit paper should I use? Thanks for your input :)

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

That was my second thought but the cheapest I can find that outboard paint is 8 bucks plus 10 bucks shipping/handling so I thought maybe I could just do it with the paint I've got and save a few bucks. I suppose I can see if they have the the spray paint at the dealer by my house tomorrow. I don't know, I guess I want it to look good so I'll probably end up going that route because I won't be able to feather it very well using the Perfection because I'd have to roll it. If I feel the need to wet sand what grit paper should I use? Thanks for your input :)

Why can't you feather the paint nicks and gouges? It might take a bit more time, but the end result will be worth the effort. Ummm...roll paint on an outboard? Think spray!

Can't spray the interlux perfection because its a 2-part epoxy poly paint (VERY toxic when sprayed) and I don't have the equipment for it. Plus I don't trust the spray gun I have to do topcoat, it's a cheap one I just use it for primer. I've decided I'm just going buy the rattle can outboard paint for the scratches once the prep and priming is done. Now I just need advice on wet sanding so I don't screw that up lol

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Use some J B weld and smooth it out right after you put it on. Prime and paint..

drewpster

Commander

I would start with 120-150 dry paper to cut the bad spots down quickly. Then go 220 dry to feather them out. Prime it, and check for coverage. At that point you can decide if wet sanding needs to be done. You want the nicks to be gone in the second coat of primer. I am assuming all your nicks and such are just in the paint right? If you have some bad scrapes in the aluminum itself you may want sand it initially then use some epoxy filler just to fill the deepest spots. Filler should not be necessary if it is just in the paint.
You should not have to wet sand unless you want it perfect. But it is a good method if you want to tightly control the amount of primer or paint you are removing. I generally use 400-600 wet paper for finishing the final coats. You can go finer if you are shooting a base/clear and you want it really slick. But I doubt you will need it.
When feathering, sand the edges of the bad spot until you cannot feel a ridge in its perimeter with your finger tip. The smoother it feels, the smoother it will look. Any slight ridge or low spot will show up in the gloss coat. Dont over think it, just sand everything as smooth a possible and shoot it. You may want to get some chromate primer if you get bare spots depending on the primer you are using. Read the labels to prep for aluminum. It should be on the can if you use outboard paint. Dealers should be able to get it. I am sure they use allot fixing shipping damage on new outboards. Thats where I get mine, about $7-8 bucks if memory serves.

lets see some pics, when you get it going:D
drewp

(actual finishing filller is what you need, never heard of using JBWeld)

Thanks a ton brother! Very helpful advice, I'm confident it will turn out looking great. And I'll definately throw up some pics once I get cookin' Thanks again!