Sob Story

Coors

Captain
Re: Sob Story

I may be wrong, but doesn't Dex Cool have a bad rap? or is that a myth?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

After the hassle I had today with some Sierra risers for a Mercruiser, and my previous experiences with their products over the last few months. I would NEVER recommend them to anyone. Absolutely no gasket and/or rubber pruducts fit (unless you work at it). Starters and alternators don't fit right, can't put OEM brackets on some starters, the fail easily, etc. But the kicker today was all the plug holes for the 3/4" NPT plugs were tapped to deep. The fitting will bottom out and completely block the water flow.
On 2 elbows ordered months apart (had 1 in stock for some strange reason)

So for you to have a bad manifold, all I can say is "Why are you surprised that it was bad?" it is from Sierra.

I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, Ever, use another Sierra part if I have the choice. Just think, Sierra also uses parts breakdowns supplied by Seloc.
Ahhhhhhhhh the worst of both worlds.

End of todays rant.

Don S

Now THAT made me LMAO!

M

The problem is, is for years I have heard people on forums say how great these Sierra and other aftermarket parts are. Since I never used anything but OEM, I assumed (OH No, there is that word again) that they were a cheaper way of getting the same quality. Now that I work at a place the thinks that aftermarket parts are the only way to go to save a customer money, all I can say is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. They were promoting junk, and now I know it first hand.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

The problem is, is for years I have heard people on forums say how great these Sierra and other aftermarket parts are. Since I never used anything but OEM, I assumed (OH No, there is that word again) that they were a cheaper way of getting the same quality. Now that I work at a place the thinks that aftermarket parts are the only way to go to save a customer money, all I can say is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. They were promoting junk, and now I know it first hand.

Guess I'm damn lucky I bought the Ford 5.0 and am stuck with mostly OEM parts!!! Oh, BTW, my ARCO Starter came in this week (Mike ducks fast!!)

M

Don S

I will not hijack slims post, I will not hijack slims post, I will not hijack slims post, I will not hijack slims post, I will not hijack slims post, I will not hijack slims post, I will not hijack slims post, I will not hijack slims post, I will not hijack slims post, ..............................

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

LOL Don!!
The first thing i ever bought from Sierra was a transom service kit for a Cobra.The gaskets were way off,Suprise!! I have not bought from them since. I will by Mallory and GLM,so far so good.Any major parts are OEM.
Get what you pay for.....Ok,i'm done hijacking..:D

Coors

Captain

I wanna still hear about the Dex Cool; supposedly it eats internals up, maybe causing a problem here.
It seems to in automotive systems.

Don S

Ask about it in a new thread, I doubt it killed a cast iron manifold instantly which is the way slims problem occured. He has a bad casiting or bad machining, not the wrong kind of antifreeze.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

don s said:
that they were a cheaper way of getting the same quality

The only way that ever happens is when somebody or some company undervaules themselves.... and actually does (another rarity in itself) high quality work for cheap money.... usually once they realize they are good however the prices go up to close to OEM.

Welcome to China have a nice day!

Oh Magoo... you've done it again!

Jim Graham

Cadet

I REALLY learned a lot Lorax. A lot of boating experance for me but my first time with Closed Cooling System.I got it all back togeather today and it seems to run fine. I still have to do a water test but that won't be untill this weekend. It ended up being the bad machine job between the inner and outer edges on the Riser. I'll still get back to everyone after I put her in Suisun Bay. Again many thanks.
I have been fighting this problem for about a year now and the fourm put me onto the problem in 3 days. WOW!!!!!

Don S

Just be sure your idle rpm is where it is supposed to be for that engine, and the timing is set correctly, you do not want to diesel the engine and suck water back in the system. Also make sure you are propped correctly (high side of the range). Amd good luck on your test run.
If you do still have an overheat problem, come on back, and please start a new thread so it will be easier to find, this ones getting a bit long :D

erikgreen

Captain

Suisun bay... now that's some sightseeing potential. I envy you.

Erik

Jim Graham

Cadet

I just wanted to get back to everyone and let them know that everthing works great now. I just got back from my water test and it runs great. No more water injestion. I ended up surfacing both Risers, New Gaskets and that took care of it. So thanks again everyone for bringing my Sob Story to an end. Thanks Don, Buy the way do you live on this forum? I have never seen anybody that is right there to give helpful advice to anyone. It looks like our bad weather is over and its time again for Striper fishing.
Many thanks Slim Jim

n

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Another satisfied customer! Glad to hear it was so simple.

M