What is this part??

Pessemist

Seaman
I am in the process of installing a powerhead on a 1983 115HP V4 flatback

While dissasembling the rotor/flywheel assembly bits and pieces of what looks like some sort of insulator fell out.

I can't find it on any schematic. It would fit inside the crankcase head and bearing assembly around the Timer base.

I put the parts together and took a picture. It appears to be made of some sort of plastic.

Any help ID'ing it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG00027-20100729-1608.jpg
    IMG00027-20100729-1608.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 0

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What is this part??

looks kinda like the plastic bushing that goes into the hole on the timer base arm for the timing advance rod. I didnt see it on the schematic.

you dont have anything in the photo to give any scale so I am not sure how big it is.

Pessemist

Seaman

looks kinda like the plastic bushing that goes into the hole on the timer base arm for the timing advance rod. I didnt see it on the schematic.

you dont have anything in the photo to give any scale so I am not sure how big it is.

It is about 4 inches in diameter. Not a bushing. I am wondering if it is some material that got in between the timer base and the crankcase bearing and got heated and compressed together. It is really brittle.

I would say 4" in diameter and half an inch in height

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am in the process of installing a powerhead on a 1983 115HP V4 flatback

While dissasembling the rotor/flywheel assembly bits and pieces of what looks like some sort of insulator fell out.

I can't find it on any schematic. It would fit inside the crankcase head and bearing assembly around the Timer base.

I put the parts together and took a picture. It appears to be made of some sort of plastic.

Any help ID'ing it would be appreciated.

What's the condition of the stator? Inner insulation perhaps.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Too small to be a part of the stator, i'm thinking inside diameter of the timer base, got hot and melted.

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

One of those two anyway, something got hot.

Pessemist

Seaman

One of those two anyway, something got hot.

It is brittle. Does not appear to be anything that melted. Almost appears like some grandular material was pressed together in a mold.

Stator, timer base and all the assemblies around it appear normal.

model is V4 115hp E115TLCTE 1983. As I siad, it doesn't appear in the schematics.

I am getting ready to reassemble. I have extensive auto engine experience but outboards are new to me.

I really look at it and can't figure out what its apparent function would be except maybe as an insulator between the timer base and crankcase?

Here is a picture with arrows pointing to where it goes.

Thought this would be asy and someone would recognize it right off. Now I am thinking it is not a part of the egine eprhaps?

Attachments

• crankcase.jpg
    crankcase.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0

petryshyn

Commander

a bushing for the timer....

Attachments

• what is.jpg
    what is.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 0

reddaddy

Cadet

piece of packing from prior work or part replacement

Pessemist

Seaman

a bushing for the timer....

The bushing ring is on the timer and intact. This thing is non-metal.

I really am starting to think it is some foreign material that got in and was compressed mold-like and solidified over time. Thing looks to perfect to be that but (shrugs).

reddaddy

Cadet

it looks like a plastic gromit for a harness. possibly fits in cowling somewhere and got sucked or blown in. it sounds like you found it laying loose so i would look at wiring harness or cowling.the only time i have seen hard plastic clips like that is to broaden a thin edge so it won't cause rubbing wear.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

It's a part from one of suits in the 1982 movie "tron", question is, why is it under your flywheel :D

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is brittle. Does not appear to be anything that melted. Almost appears like some grandular material was pressed together in a mold.

Stator, timer base and all the assemblies around it appear normal.

model is V4 115hp E115TLCTE 1983. As I siad, it doesn't appear in the schematics.

I am getting ready to reassemble. I have extensive auto engine experience but outboards are new to me.

I really look at it and can't figure out what its apparent function would be except maybe as an insulator between the timer base and crankcase?

Here is a picture with arrows pointing to where it goes.

Thought this would be asy and someone would recognize it right off. Now I am thinking it is not a part of the egine eprhaps?

Weird, the windows in it make it look like a part of some sort. Maybe melted packaging that someone forgot to remove at the factory. Did the thing cause any problems?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It looks like some of the white lithium grease that the factory put in to lube the roation of the timer base has run down onto the top of the powerhead and finally dried out over the years.

Pessemist

Seaman

Weird, the windows in it make it look like a part of some sort. Maybe melted packaging that someone forgot to remove at the factory. Did the thing cause any problems?

Not that I can tell. When I found it all the pieces were there but it was cracked and broke pretty bad. I ifted out all the pieces and stuck them together on the table when I took the picture. It is extremely brittle.

Close examinatiion of the pieces reveals small 'bubble-like' fects in the material I didn't notic before. Almost like whatever the material is was flawed when it melted together.

I am going with some foreign thing that got down there over the years and solidified. So with that thought and you guys input I think I am safe in assuming that I am not leaving out an important part.

Thanks all!

Pessemist

Seaman

It looks like some of the white lithium grease that the factory put in to lube the roation of the timer base has run down onto the top of the powerhead and finally dried out over the years.

I think you are probably closest to the truth. Never seen grease behave like that but.......

thanks!

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not that I can tell. When I found it all the pieces were there but it was cracked and broke pretty bad. I ifted out all the pieces and stuck them together on the table when I took the picture. It is extremely brittle.

Close examinatiion of the pieces reveals small 'bubble-like' fects in the material I didn't notic before. Almost like whatever the material is was flawed when it melted together.

I am going with some foreign thing that got down there over the years and solidified. So with that thought and you guys input I think I am safe in assuming that I am not leaving out an important part.

Thanks all!

Get that back together yet?