Alpha 1 sterndrive fit in MC1 gimble housing?

daleevr

Recruit
Hi,

Will a Alpha 1 sterndrive fit into a gimble housing made for a MC1 sterndrive?

Thanks
daleevr

Re: Alpha 1 sterndrive fit in MC1 gimble housing?

Alpha one gen one will fit but the yoke might be longer than the older yoke. Measure it side by side and see. if so use the older yoke with the apha.

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a alpha gen 1 hooked up to prealpha gear on my 79 glastron...no problem

There are two things to check:

There was one shaft length for V8s, and a shorter one for other engines. Choose the one that matches you application (IE: Use the one which came off the MR if it is longer or shrter). This is due to a different engine coupler used.

Check the drive ratios. There are a few ratios given different engine sizes. If the ratios don't match, don't panic...a friend had one reratiod for $300. Check your local dealers on that one.

Chay

daleevr

Recruit

Thanks for the information. Unfortuantly this will be ordered from an individual and I can't do much measuring but the ratio on mine is 1.84:1 his is 1.4:1. Its a good price but if I need to get something done with the ratio and it cost extra on top of what I paying, though a good price, It may not be worth it.

daleevr

That's a big difference in ratio. Even if the yokes are different lengths if you have yours you can resolve it easily. But the ratio might be too much to compensate for with a prop switch. To replace the gears to the correct ones would cost more than worth. Personally I would pass.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Thanks for the information. Unfortuantly this will be ordered from an individual and I can't do much measuring but the ratio on mine is 1.84:1 his is 1.4:1. Its a good price but if I need to get something done with the ratio and it cost extra on top of what I paying, though a good price, It may not be worth it.

daleevr

ALARM BELLS!!!!!

Merc never made a 1.4 ratio.....

daleevr

Recruit

Thanks everyone. Now he's telling me 1.86 ratio. Said he made a mistake. If this is right, will I need to worry about ratios being it is this close to mine or let it go and it will be ok?

Thanks again for everyones help!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Thanks everyone. Now he's telling me 1.86 ratio. Said he made a mistake. If this is right, will I need to worry about ratios being it is this close to mine or let it go and it will be ok?

Thanks again for everyones help!

Ratios for the Alpha drive (includes MC-1, R, MR)

1.32:1
1.50:1
1.68:1
1.84:1
1.98:1
2.40:1

Looks like he's made another 'mistake'. Ask him if it's actually an Alpha drive.... :D

Chris...........