225 Evinrude no spark

22ISLANDER

Seaman
I was told the stator was bad, so it has been replaced with a working unit.
I put at timing light on both banks and no go. The light works fine, just cannot get any spark. I'm looking for a baseline to start checking with a test light/ohmeter.

The engine is a 225TXCUB.

Can both powerpacks be bad ?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

reeldutch

Lieutenant
Re: 225 Evinrude no spark

did you check your keyswitch?

you could have a short in the ignition key switch.

did you inspect the flywheel magnets when you had it off?

check the stator output with a meter and peak voltage adapter. the specs are in the manual.
i believe about 250 peak volts.
the trigger is about 4 to 6 volts if im not mistaken.

if that all checks out good while cranking you know the problem is downstream of you stator and trigger and flywheel.

my gut tels me its your ignition key switch

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dissconnect both blk/yellow kill circuit cionnectors at the pack and retest. do a forum search on a homeade spark tester as its more reliable at cranking speed, you will need a peak reading meter or a DVM with a DVA to check output voltages from the stator to the packs and for pack output.
its very simple yet most folks are scared.
dunno why, but the entire system can be tested in under 30 minutes.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

There are a couple pages of testing specs for your motor here.

"http://www.boatpartstore.com/page35.asp"

I agree with above, I would be surprised if both packs died instantaneously at the same time. Would tend to lean more towards the kill circuit having a fault, be it the keyswitch, harness or shift switch.

You are getting a cranking RPM of at least 250 to 300 arent you?

22ISLANDER

Seaman

Thanks for the replies, the engine seems to be cranking properly, but I'll look at the tach later to see if it is proper rpm.

I will also check the ignition switch.

I think the shift solenoid has been bypassed...I can't even find the darn thing .

Is the choke solenoid the item with the maintainence port ? ( there is a wire cut there, I think it was done when the VRO was bypassed by the previous owner).

Should I have pulled the timing advance plate to inspect when changing out the stator ?

I'm sure something has been overlooked, and all the advice is pointing me in the right direction....THANKS !

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You don't have chokes and there is no such thing as a shift solenoid on your motor.

To understand the ignition wiring, the following thread will help:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ignitionSwitch.html

You need to take a careful, step-by-step approach to testing to solve ignition problems or you will needlessly replace expensive components only to have them ruined because the cause of the problem was not corrected; to do that requires a factory manual.

CDI Electronics publishes a free on-line pdf download called Troubleshhoting Guide, that will give you a hand in tracking down your problem The volume is large, so I would suggest saving it to your computer.

http://cdielectronics.com/Downloads/tabid/55/language/en-US/Default.aspx

reeldutch

Lieutenant

and dont forget to clip on the safety lanyard