just bought a 86 150hp xr2 and have lots of questions

hotairgypsy

Cadet
Morning all. I just picked up a 85 pontoon with this 86 motor on it. The covers state it is a 150 xr2. This boat i picked up at auction and do not know the service history on it but i am seeing lots of weird things on it which is prompting all my questions. I have been searching for two days for all my answers but not really seeing the answers i need so if you all can shed some light it would be great.

1. It has a quicksilver throttle. What is the toggle switch below the key for..it has a cover over it to protect it but i have no idea what it does.

2. The tilt and trim is not working. I found a hack job done under the hood leading me to believe there are some burned out parts. How can test out the mechanism to see what parts are broken?

3. Where can i find a pdf service manual i can download for free so i can start tracking out the wiring and the servicing?

4. I did order a new impeller and plugs for the motor. I have not attempted to start it yet so i can replace the parts. I think this boat sat in the water for a long time cuz it was coated with barnacles. I took a pressure washer to it to clean them off. I did click the key to see if it would turn over a little. what do you suggest i squirt in the piston chambers before starting it to help lub it when i am installing the plugs? I am going to replace the fuel lines and gas before attempting to start.

5. The oil res is gone. i need to know if it was removed properly so what are your thoughts on this?

6. i can hear the choke clicking but a buddy was saying he was not seeing anything move when i was pushing in the choke...any pics of the mechanism so i can see what is missing from it if anything?

7. i found a key ignition turning thingy back by the gas tanks. looks like the wiring goes to the engine...any idea what it is?

8. i found several wires not attached under the hood. i need pics and wiring diagrams to figure this out. links too pics and stuff would be appreciated

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0

latin monkey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: just bought a 86 150hp xr2 and have lots of questions

i'd be worried the water jackets in the block look like the outside of that motor if it wasn't flushed out properly before it sat up

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Before you get to involved do some basic maintance and checks of the engine.
1) lightly oil the cylinders and check compression, anything 100 psi or above is good and all should be within 10 psi of each other
2) check ignition system wiring for decaying insulation and check spark with ignition spark tester. The toggle on control box is the "kill" switch if down you will not have spark
3) drain gearcase oil and check for water or large metallic debris and service if needed
4) trim pump, this is a 3 wire motor so black is ground. remove the blue&green wire from solenoids and touch one color to a 12v positive source motor should run up or down depending on color you use.If it does not work that trim motor is NLA and a replacement kit with pump is best replacment.

If all the above checks out you got a good basic engine to work with.Since it has sat idle for some period of time in brackish water you need to address the following:
1) water pump
2) cooling system (poppet valve and t-stats)
3) carbs,hoses and fuel pump(clean/rebuild/replace)

hotairgypsy

Cadet

this is what it looks like after i hosed it down yesterday.

Attachments

• pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 0

hotairgypsy

Cadet

4) trim pump, this is a 3 wire motor so black is ground. remove the blue&green wire from solenoids and touch one color to a 12v positive source motor should run up or down depending on color you use.If it does not work that trim motor is NLA and a replacement kit with pump is best replacment.

what is NLA and where am i looking for a replacement kit and pump? NLA= No longer available? where can i find the part number for it so it makes searching easier?

j_martin

Admiral

Morning all. I just picked up a 85 pontoon with this 86 motor on it. The covers state it is a 150 xr2. This boat i picked up at auction and do not know the service history on it but i am seeing lots of weird things on it which is prompting all my questions. I have been searching for two days for all my answers but not really seeing the answers i need so if you all can shed some light it would be great.

1. It has a quicksilver throttle. What is the toggle switch below the key for..it has a cover over it to protect it but i have no idea what it does.

2. The tilt and trim is not working. I found a hack job done under the hood leading me to believe there are some burned out parts. How can test out the mechanism to see what parts are broken?

3. Where can i find a pdf service manual i can download for free so i can start tracking out the wiring and the servicing?

4. I did order a new impeller and plugs for the motor. I have not attempted to start it yet so i can replace the parts. I think this boat sat in the water for a long time cuz it was coated with barnacles. I took a pressure washer to it to clean them off. I did click the key to see if it would turn over a little. what do you suggest i squirt in the piston chambers before starting it to help lub it when i am installing the plugs? I am going to replace the fuel lines and gas before attempting to start.

5. The oil res is gone. i need to know if it was removed properly so what are your thoughts on this?

6. i can hear the choke clicking but a buddy was saying he was not seeing anything move when i was pushing in the choke...any pics of the mechanism so i can see what is missing from it if anything?

7. i found a key ignition turning thingy back by the gas tanks. looks like the wiring goes to the engine...any idea what it is?

8. i found several wires not attached under the hood. i need pics and wiring diagrams to figure this out. links too pics and stuff would be appreciated

1. Thats the lanyard kill switch. A loop on the end of a special lanyard goes between the switch and the guard in a way that if the lanyard leaves, the switch shuts the engine off. It is wired directly to the kill wire, and grounds it.

2. Start at the engine, verifying power to the trim solenoids, then test jumping them. The unknown key switch might be wired into the tilt circuits.

3. Freebies all over, and marginally helpful. I got a CD download on eBay that had proven to be quite helpful. For serious work, you need the factory service manual.

4. TCW3 oil.

5. There's a block off part. Some say it's getting hard to find. The labels can be made by anybody with a waterproof (wax transfer) label maker. Anyway, here's the cut-n-paste response.
Re: oil injection removal Merc V6 only

You need part number 43453 if it is available. That retains the pump driveshaft bushing and plugs the hole where the pump mounts. Then remove the oil components and the warning module. You'll also need to remove the fitting that the oil tank pressure hose attaches to and plug the hole in the block.

Order three stickers (37-818029 1), one to mount near the fuel fitting on the motor, one for the dash, and one near the fuel fill fitting on the boat. They'll alert the operator that the gas needs to have oil added. One frequent problem we see here regards the infamous "brother-in-law" that forgets to add oil to the gas and roaches the motor.

You should probably replace the fuel lines where the fitting for the oil T's into the fuel line with a single piece of fuel line.

6. It operates an enricher valve that routes fuel from the top carb bowl to behind the throttle plate in all carbs. Will "prime" the bottom 2 before the engine starts, usually making it pop in a second if the moon is right.

7. See 2

8. Pretty normal. Temp sensor, tilt sender, and maybe others. Some parts interchange except for unused connectors.

Hope it helps (whew)
John

hotairgypsy

Cadet

here is a detail pic of the engine...you can see several wires not attached.

motor.jpg

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The kill wires(blk/yel)l are taped back and a single wire is going to the front,trace it to see if it goes to a aux kill switch or spliced back into harness and the other wire(wht/blk) is the advance box(not needed)

j_martin

Admiral

PLEEEZE resize that picture to 640 x 480. It screws up the page otherwise for those of us that aren't viewing it with engineering work stations.

hotairgypsy

Cadet

PLEEEZE resize that picture to 640 x 480. It screws up the page otherwise for those of us that aren't viewing it with engineering work stations.

if i go to 640*480 u cannot see the detail...this is what 800x600 looks like

motor1.jpg

j_martin

Admiral

How 'bout this.

Attachments

• wires.jpg
    wires.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 0