how to cold start 88 spl/ trim issues

95glas

Seaman
i have a 88 spl model j88tsleoc johnson outboard very difficult to cold start.. tried new plugs- don't help...seems to be flooding itself any things to look for?
also have issue trying to keep bow down..engine mounts all the way in and trim all the way down...leaves me with no adjustment - also has a hydrofoil which i want to elimitate

parrisw

Ensign
Re: how to cold start 88 spl/ trim issues

Does that engine have the cold start injector? Or does it have choke plates? How long are you holding the key in? Have you ever redone the carbs?

95glas

Seaman

has injector at key i believe- just picked up from dealer last week- they just told me might have to advance throttle lever to get it to start...not much else..
hope not nature of this motor- had same era 90 hp mariner and always started up within a few seconds- can't say that for this motor thus far

parrisw

Ensign

has injector at key i believe- just picked up from dealer last week- they just told me might have to advance throttle lever to get it to start...not much else..
hope not nature of this motor- had same era 90 hp mariner and always started up within a few seconds- can't say that for this motor thus far

How are you starting it then?

I have a 84 Johnson 115, similar to yours, cold start, raise lever all the way, pump primer till hard, turn key on, push key in for 2 seconds, then start engine, should fire off, if it starts to stumble, push key in again for a second or 2, you'll have to keep pushing key in maybe 2-3 times depending on how cold it is out, until it stops stumbling and runs on it's own.

95glas

Seaman

barely...not word of lie takes me at least 10-15 min to get it started when ready to give up it starts... pump primer bulb and throttle lever...like said what dealer told me to get it started... figure somethings wrong here- want to practice cold starts in my driveway with earmuffs on it until i find a way that it starts ALOT better. already lanching the boat by myself- enough fun in itself. once warm- starts fine

parrisw

Ensign

Is the key working when you push it in? have someone push the key in with it on and check to see if its squirting fuel. Right now in the summer, mine jumps to life within about 3 seconds of cranking. And I no longer need to use the primer.

parrisw

Ensign

When you finally get it going, how does it run? Does it have good power, doesn't bog down?

95glas

Seaman

definitely getting fuel... floods out so don't think thats my problem. was thinking of replacing the coils and/ or the cdi ( the coils appear slightly damaged) but once started works fine and responsive.. bought a battery charger in case thats part of the problem...i'd kill if mine started in 3 seconds lol

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

When the engine is cold you need to enrich the fuel - that's the reason for the primer. The concern at that time should not be flooding.

When you raise the warmup lever, it advances the timing. Have some one raise it while you watch the linkage at the engine to be sure that is happening.

It takes a lot of power to crank the cold engine to the minimum 250 RPM cranking speed. The battery needs to be fully charged and powerful, the cables need to be perfect and all connections should be spotlessly clean.

If you are trying to run with a minimal marine battery, you should reconsider.

95glas

Seaman

i mentioned it because strong fuel odor when go to start
whats warm up handle? advancing throttle lever? thats the way my glastron manual says to start it- no mention of using choke in their description- one way i want to try ...or the red lever near the carbs?
has a new battery just trying to eliminate any possibilities ..battery on charge right now

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

i mentioned it because strong fuel odor when go to start
whats warm up handle? advancing throttle lever? thats the way my glastron manual says to start it- no mention of using choke in their description- one way i want to try ...or the red lever near the carbs?
has a new battery just trying to eliminate any possibilities ..battery on charge right now

The strong smell of fuel usually indicates a fuel leak which is dangerous. Put a little steady pressure on your primer bulb and make avery careful inspection of the system all the way to the carburetors.

You don't have chokes, you have a primer solenoid, which allows extra fuel to be injected directly into the intake manifold, bypassing the carburetors. The normal operating position of the red handle on the primer solenoid is aligned with the cylindrical base of the solenoid. It should be activated by pushing in on the ignition key.

When your control does not have a warmup lever, it usually has a shift override of some kind, either a button in the center of the arm that you can push in or a means of moving the arm to the side. Once the override is engaged, you can advance the throttle arm which will advance the timing on the engine.

95glas

Seaman

red handle i am referring to is a winterization aid --so what the dealer is telling me anyways ( some sort of fuel shut off) just not sure which way supposed to be?
i think i may have found a way that works for this motor- same as above but leave throttle advanced and press in key while starting- starts alot faster- will try again when engine stone cold to be sure...
hopefully leaves me to second part of my question- hopefully going out in it tomorrow... trying this time without the hydrofoil ( bringing along in case) and a apollo s/s prop i have- have been told a jackplate wouldn't help

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The red handle is used in emergencies to rope start the engine when the battery is dead, and to use the schrader valve for fogging the engine or de-carbon treatment, using aerosol products. To use the aerosol products, you need the injector hose, part # 0763644.

In all other situations the red handle should be left as I said, parallel to and aligned with the base of the primer solenoid. You might want to get an owner's manual for your motor at some point or better yet a service manual: http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.main

The manuals have valuable information such as how to use and start the motor.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=225510

http://evinrude.cust.shopatron.com/product/0/763644/_/Injector_Valve_and_Hose_Assembly

95glas

Seaman

must be something wrong with mine...starts better if move red lever then move back after starts

95glas

Seaman

definitely something wrong with the electrical portion of it...only starts if manually move the red lever and then move back once it catches... valve checks out with range on ohmmeter, but only getting power on terminal when push in key- switch bad?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

must be something wrong with mine...starts better if move red lever then move back after starts

That's a reasonable work-around if the solenoid is not working, but it would be easier if you could just push the ignition key in as the system is designed. Check your wiring to the primer solenoid; you should have 12 volts when the key is pushed in (you have to have the key in the run position of course).

95glas

Seaman

changing the solenoid and key switch- mine doesn't have a schrader valve so an upgrade anyways if its not it..leaves only wiring and activation circuit? or so i read something about it in manual anyways.. anyone know what tach setting should be? can't find in manual... and tach is one of instruments not working right

Fed

Commander

If you turn the key to the 'ON' position then push it in you should be able to hear the primer solonoid 'CLICK'.

95glas

Seaman

doesn't click..tried test light there - doesn't light up